SM64 To Replace SM3
Jan 21, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #121 of 261
I just received mine. Been listening for couple hours by now. I really like the sound of this. To me..the sm64 has a bit of V shape when compared to my sm3v2. The mids seems to be more laid back for just a bit. The highs is more crisp. The bass is more pronounced and seems more solid...more tight with a very pleasant impact. For the first 30 minutes of listening...i felt like the mids was thinner and less body to it compared to my sm3v2. I just thought that sm2v2 is more flat and more neutral. But after an hour or so...i am starting to really enjoy the sound. Forget about thinner mids..to be more precise it has a cleaner mids than sm3v2 and even more accurate i may say. The soundstage is also much better compared to sm3v2. But i still think that the mids is a bit laid back compared to sm3v2. For some vocal songs...maybe sm3v2 is more engaging than sm63? I guess i need more time listening to make sure on that. But for a faster pace music...this sm64 is definitely better compared to sm3v2. Btw...the build quality on this sm64 is improved and more sturdy compared to sm3v2 (which i had 2x bad experience with the shell quality). I also noticed that the memory cable on sm64 is shorter than sm3v2 but i found is eaiser when fitting to my ears.

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #122 of 261
Here is the picture of mine..i just did comparison between the two using my combo mk3+clas db and fostex hpp1...at the end..i still prefer the refined sm64. 
size]

I really love the crystal looks of the sm64 half shell....looks sexy !

Memory cable is shorter on sm64

Tested using my mk3+cals db and Fostex hpp1

--- i am not good at taking photos..sorry if pics was not good enough 
size]

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #124 of 261
Should be the "old" version.

Man, I think my SM64 would sound even better if I had a rig like this....
Glad you like them :)

And i still havn't received a mail from Earsonics, regarding the "improvement".

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #126 of 261
Quote:
yeah, looks like the SM64v1. The v2 sounds a lot better...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oh, I really hope so!

Would be a damn shame if they turn down the highs too much :/

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #127 of 261
Just received an e-mail from Earsonics :)

"HI 

Detail of upgrade:

-Lowering of general impedance (to 95 ohms )  for better driving with low power output device like IPOD, J3, etc.
-That makes a better control of spectrum equilibration (hight medium, et eventual sibilances with some device) increase "medium EarSonics sound signature" and better support on low frequencies using with lower power devices..

Doing this modification the SM64 can work perfectly without AMP, Of course using one will increase listening experience (like with our EM4 and EM6 custom models) but it's not necessary.

If you want to do this free modification  you must send starting february    your SM64 to our address :"

Ah crap, double-post :/

Jan 21, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #128 of 261
Quote:
^ Thanks for your impressions. So, these are the new version or the original release of the SM64? 

Hi KraftD1...
Actually I am not sure which version is mine. I just bought this from Jaben Indonesia. They said is the 1st batch released (the only latest edition they have it right now). So I assumed should be the original released? I didn't know if there was V2 edition of sm64. Even though the sm64V2 has been released by Earsonic..i don't think they sell it already in Indonesia.

Quote:
Should be the "old" version.

Man, I think my SM64 would sound even better if I had a rig like this....
Glad you like them :)

And i still havn't received a mail from Earsonics, regarding the "improvement".

HiTom Yum Goong...
Yes..they sound really good on both amps HPP1 and RxMK3+CLAS db. What's surprised me...i've never had any good experience before paring RxMK3 with iems (shure535LE, SM3V2) but this SM64 can handle pretty well with RxMK3..the sound is amazing ! I have not tried it with my other amps..maybe later i will test it using The National and Voyager see how it goes. Btw..i really love the combination of Voyager + SM3V2.

Jan 21, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #129 of 261
Quote:
Oh, I really hope so!

Would be a damn shame if they turn down the highs too much :/

Hi Tom...
I see your profile picture...is it the sm64v2? Because i noticed the box which i have is different to yours

Here is the box which came with my sm64...

So it this belongs to sm64 original version?

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #131 of 261
Quote:
Hi guys...
Just confirmed with Jaben. Yes mine is the original sm64. Not the V2 edition.

Weird, but that case looks pretty cool too :D
How does the sound change when you are using an amp, compared to "unamped listening"?

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #132 of 261
Quote:
Weird, but that case looks pretty cool too :D
How does the sound change when you are using an amp, compared to "unamped listen

If i play direct from ipod...i still prefer the sound of sm3v2 which is more proper to match with ipod alone. I just found sm64 has more power hungry than sm3v2. Though on paper i think they should have the same impedance stated (i think 40ohm). But i did a couple test and tried to see the difference, and yes it is different. For example..listening through my HPP1..i just need to turn up the volume to let say 40% to get a pleasant hearing out of my sm3v2, while i need to turn volume up to 70% to get the same level of hearing from my SM64. This condition applied the same to any of my other amps i have tried. So this is one of the reason (which surprised me) that sm64 is VERY WELL match with my combo RxMK3+ClasDb (power gain). And you know what...i don't even hear any hiss at all from sm64 with this combo (popular known with the hiss issues to iems). Is just dead silence. No noise background at all and that's just great !! And the sound...i can tell you right now..i much prefer this combination (RxMK3+ClasDb+SM64) than to pair it with my HD650. Is just unbelievable. The sound quality is not less than Full Cans Sound. Detail is very good, music separation is good, and overall sound just feel so meaty and yummy..full body of sound. So at this point... i can obviously say that sm64 respond very well with an amps better than sm3v2.

Btw..listening sm64 direct from my ipod (with wav files)...the sound still not bad...but i just feel like it has less body to it..especially with mids and lows. And that will give me a result of a sharper highs. I am not saying is becoming a harsh sounding. Its just a sharper highs. But when u plug this thing to an amps...is a different story. To me..i would say sm3v2 is more neutral than sm64. But i also think that SM64 is definitely more refined product and has more musical sounding than sm3v2. 

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #134 of 261
Quote:

If i play direct from ipod...i still prefer the sound of sm3v2 which is more proper to match with ipod alone. I just found sm64 has more power hungry than sm3v2. Though on paper i think they should have the same impedance stated (i think 40ohm). But i did a couple test and tried to see the difference, and yes it is different. For example..listening through my HPP1..i just need to turn up the volume to let say 40% to get a pleasant hearing out of my sm3v2, while i need to turn volume up to 70% to get the same level of hearing from my SM64. This condition applied the same to any of my other amps i have tried. So this is one of the reason (which surprised me) that sm64 is VERY WELL match with my combo RxMK3+ClasDb (power gain). And you know what...i don't even hear any hiss at all from sm64 with this combo (popular known with the hiss issues to iems). Is just dead silence. No noise background at all and that's just great !! And the sound...i can tell you right now..i much prefer this combination (RxMK3+ClasDb+SM64) than to pair it with my HD650. Is just unbelievable. The sound quality is not less than Full Cans Sound. Detail is very good, music separation is good, and overall sound just feel so meaty and yummy..full body of sound. So at this point... i can obviously say that sm64 respond very well with an amps better than sm3v2.

Btw..listening sm64 direct from my ipod (with wav files)...the sound still not bad...but i just feel like it has less body to it..especially with mids and lows. And that will give me a result of a sharper highs. I am not saying is becoming a harsh sounding. Its just a sharper highs. But when u plug this thing to an amps...is a different story. To me..i would say sm3v2 is more neutral than sm64. But i also think that SM64 is definitely more refined product and has more musical sounding than sm3v2. 

So do you think that they sound fuller because you can turn them up louder, or because they get more "power" or whatever through the amp?

I'm pretty happy with the volume I get with my J3.

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #135 of 261
In my case when comparing between the two (sm3v2 vs sm64)..yes i do believe that sm64 with a higher impedance seems to be able to absorb more power gain from my amps (especially with rxmk3 amp and can produce a fuller sound than sm3v2. However..i also think is all about to find the perfect macthing between the amp and the iems/cans. Being said that...i still agree a lower impedance can also be producing a full sound when they have the right amps to macth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back