SM64 To Replace SM3
Jan 18, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #108 of 261
I have to agree with Mahalko comments about the sm64. The highs, mids and lows are presented in a neutral and balanced fashion (perhaps with a tint of warmth compare to ER4's). Soundstage is really wide, placement of instruments and vocal are good. However I noticed instruments separation is just shy of um3x, which i was using before purchasing the sm64. My ears are easier to discern different instruments in songs with the um3x.
Except of the point just mentioned. I would opt for the sm64 over my um3x.

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #110 of 261
Oh boy, do I really need to buy another amp to do more testing? :frowning2:
In which way does the sound change when you amp them "properly"?
I hate carrying around an amp with me, but if it really changes the soundquality so much. Curse you, Head-Fi!

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #112 of 261
Not really expensive?
It looks pretty awesome and the reviews are really tempting, but I don't get how people are carrying around this metal bricks+player.

sorry for the off-topic stuff

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #113 of 261
In HK the amp is around $4k HKD (~500US). Which is cheaper than the earphone, where shops are asking for 4.5k HKD (560US)....

Yea, especially it comes packaged with a DAC. I used to own a RS Predator, sold after 9 months of use, entirely because of the bulkiness it caused

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #114 of 261
So is it really advised to pay almost as much for an amp as you paid for the earphones?

Or I could just buy a DX100...
Let me just quick rob the nearest bank :D

EDIT:
Okay I just red that amping a Cowon J3 is a non-no. Something about double-amping...
I guess I'll just wait till I have the money for a DX100 or the Fiio X3 comes out :D

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #115 of 261
Hi  !
The SM64 are just updated with a new version !

Source translated from French by Google

Quote:
Montpellier Earsonics firm has decided to recall sent models of its new flagship, the SM64. Far from being due to a fault, the company wants them to add one improvement. Commercial director Max Capgras addresses and buyers:

Quote:

Dear Customer
You recently purchased a SM64 and we thank you.
We thought we had already reached a high level of sound quality with the latest in our ITE universal
and it is therefore in a constant improvement that we are happy to share with you that a change is now available.
This will greatly increase the listening pleasure even the SM64 could get, and demonstrates the care given to our products.
Details:
-As a result, we obtain a better control of the spectral balance (medium "sauce Earsonics" upper midrange and deleting any sibilance on some players high listening levels) with better support in the lower spectrum used in low power drives ...
-Lowering the overall impedance of 95 ohms headphones for better "driving" with low level players such iPod, J3, etc..
With this modification, the SM64 can perfectly go amp to operate ... Use an amp certainly improve the listening experience (as with our EM4 and EM6) but it is not mandatory.
This change is of course supported by us if you wish to contact us sav@earsonics.com
PS: From now on, all our SM64 series are manufactured with the changing
Cordially

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #116 of 261
Wooooooooow.

When did you get this mail?
Man these are pretty unexpected news.
I don't even know what to say :D

Exactly the stuff I was complaining about...I hope i will get the mail anytime soon!

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #117 of 261
Yea, i was posted with the news. Sounds incredible for earsonics to do that. 
In the same time, does it means ours are now officially Limited High Impedance version? lol

Anyways, the conversion process requires us to post the earphone back. (for anyone who is going to take the offer)

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #118 of 261
Quote:
Yea, i was posted with the news. Sounds incredible for earsonics to do that. 
In the same time, does it means ours are now officially Limited High Impedance version? lol

Anyways, the conversion process requires us to post the earphone back. (for anyone who is going to take the offer)

The limited "hard to drive and slightly sibilant"-version :D

I havn't received the received the mail by now, but sending my SM64 back to Earsonics is not that much of a problem for me...Germany is pretty close to France :p

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #119 of 261
Sibilant doesnt occur to me, most probably because i quite like the bone chilling highs 
tongue.gif

I would love to hear feedback from people who are going to get (buy/ convert) the 95ohm version before making the jump. Shipping would worth it only if improvements are found.

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #120 of 261
It will sure take a while until someone gets back their "improved" SM64. I really love these precise and airy highs too, but sometimes they just go way too high for my taste. I'm pretty excited what my pair will sound like :D

If the highs are getting too shy for you, I could sell you my Headphonelounge cable. Improves highs and soundstage :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back