SM64 To Replace SM3
Dec 28, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #31 of 261
Quote:
Indeed. Although they don't have a 5 so maybe no 65. 

I shipped my W3's to SE two days ago and am currently waiting for the 64's to be in stock on SE. Unfortunately Adam doesn't know when exactly the 64's are going to arrive in Ohio from France, but it may be early next year. I'll just have to be patient until then..

You can get the SM64 from Earsonics web store for $427 after you convert the 345 Euros which is quite a bit cheaper than on SE.  At that price I'm tempted on selling my SM3 and Heaven IV to get them.

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #35 of 261
I received my SM64 last thursday :)  (Germany is a bit closer to France)

I'm still in the process of getting used to their more natural and neutral sound compared to my old TF10.

Fell free to ask some specific questions, but don't expect a full review for now....I don't have any other fancy IEM that I can compare it with and I'm still waiting for my iBasso D-Zero. The impendance is, indeed, a bit high...

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #36 of 261
Sounding very interesting. Unfortunately I have spent too much money on other things the last couple of weeks, and I have a massive collection of IEMs already according to non-headfi-members :).

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #37 of 261
Quote:
I received my SM64 last thursday :)  (Germany is a bit closer to France)

I'm still in the process of getting used to their more natural and neutral sound compared to my old TF10.

Fell free to ask some specific questions, but don't expect a full review for now....I don't have any other fancy IEM that I can compare it with and I'm still waiting for my iBasso D-Zero. The impendance is, indeed, a bit high...

Come on! get to work 
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #38 of 261
Okay, some short, first impressions :wink:
I use them with my Cowon J3. Volume seems to be a bit low (for the obvious reason) so I ordered an iBasso D-Zero to amp them.

Soundstage is just incredible! (Never had the chance to try the SM3, but I think its on the same level)
Bass is well textured, precise and has a good punch to it.
Mids are very nice too, but sometimes very distorted guitars sound slightly recessed, which is a bit irritating sometimes.
I really like the highs, but the TF10 (with its darker and not so neutral sound) made me a bit sensitive to them...they sound a little bit harsh sometimes, but this may just be my weaned (?) ears.
The transparency and the instrument seperation are amazing :) Sooo many details!

Overall they sound very natural and neutral to me (except for that dip in the upper mids).

As I mentioned before, I don't really have any other decent IEMs to compare them with (my beloved TF10 died a few weeks ago) and I received the SM64 like four or five days ago. So be a bit patient :)

I hope you can stand my not-so-proper english :wink:

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #40 of 261
I still don't have any idea what this impendance corrector is supposed to be doing. I have to crank up the volume of my J3 50% more then usual now that I have the SM64. Hmmm whatever, I'll just wait for the amp to be delivered.

So far the SM64 sounds like a fusion of the EM4 and EM6 (according to all the reviews of these two CIEMs).

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #41 of 261
Thanks Tom, your English is good. I wouldn't have been able to tell you weren't a native speaker if you didn't mention it. And a blend between EM4 and EM6 is just what we should expect! :] I wish soundearphones would have them in stock sooner.. 

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #42 of 261
Quote:
Thanks for the preview. The SM64 seems to have  been designed to work with high power amp so the overall balance might change with a portable amp. Keep us updated 
wink.gif

Okay that would explain this quote from the Earsonics website: "Our R&D departement worked on delivering a new audio quality reference when SM64 is coupled with a additional nomad amplifier that push forward the listening experience with a universal model".
:p

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #43 of 261
I am kind of disappointed these are not as portable (i.e. need an amp) as the SM3 :/

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #44 of 261
The high impedance suggests those will require more voltage swing than most PMP will be able provide. I do wonder why they decided to go that route? Maybe they found it provides better SQ and allows better dynamics? or is just an unfortunate consequence from the design and  choice of BA or crossover?
The new iRiver AK100 could be an ideal partner. 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back