slight crackle in my HD600's
Apr 21, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
in the right earcup, when i listen to music there's a slight crackly distortion!

what should i do? it seems pretty sporadic. when things reverb alot it is really pronounced!

A couple of thoughts on the matter:

1. The right driver might be dirty/dusty.

2. The headphone might be going through a phase of burn-in, and after several more hours the crackle will disappear.

How long have you had your HD600's? Do you store them in a place that easily becomes dusty? How many hours of playtime have you had on your headphones? When did you start noticing the crackle (hopefully not after having some sort of volume-pumpage mistake...)?

Apr 21, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

2. The headphone might be going through a phase of burn-in, and after several more hours the crackle will disappear.

I thought E****d fully burned his HD600 before Sleepkyng took over. Kinda interesting, I had gone through four pairs of Senn HD580/HD600/HD650x2's burn-in and never experienced crackle due to burn-in? Then again, it doesn't mean burn-in never cause crackle just because I haven't experienced it
biggrin.gif

May be there is a hair or fiber causing such crackling sound. Can you take the pad and/or grill out to check?

Apr 21, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #6 of 16
Before you remove the ear pad (which is easy), check on the inside of the ear cup. Look for hair(s) stuck in the foam.

I get that problem a lot with my Porta Pros.

Is the distortion more like static breakup noise, or Buzzing? If it's buzzing, it's probably a hair. If it's static breakup noise, check the connectors from the headphone cable. Jiggle them a little bit when listening, do you hear the static when you jiggle, or does a channel cut out on you?

To remove the ear pads, grab the velvet surround part and pull gently, but firmly. Pull around a few places. Then it should just pop right out. Be careful with the little thin sheet of foam. Check for hairs. If you use compressed air, don't shake the can first, it'll shoot out solvent. Hold the HD600's up and shoot the air across the drivers, shooting the air at an upward angle. Check for hairs again.

Hope that helps.

Apr 21, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by LobsterSan
A couple of thoughts on the matter:

1. The right driver might be dirty/dusty.

How long have you had your HD600's? Do you store them in a place that easily becomes dusty? How many hours of playtime have you had on your headphones? When did you start noticing the crackle (hopefully not after having some sort of volume-pumpage mistake...)?

Doubtful dust if a problem, unless Sleepykng stores the HD600's in a woodshop.

Doubtful it's break in, as they are already well broken in.
wink.gif

-Ed

Apr 21, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #8 of 16
Good to know Ed - I'm just enjoying my newly arrived HD600s and I would just freak out if I had such a thing happen...

Bought it used, but no "crackles" so far - just great music
600smile.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
ok i removed the foamy part, and i think it sounds way the hell better!

is there any downside to this? does the foam protect the ear cups somehow??

Mainly to keep fingers, hair, and reduce dust getting on the drivers. Ironically, it's that foam that traps hairs. Did you see any hairs stuck in the foam?

But yes, it should be better without the foam. Just use the compressed can of air to spray dust out like I mentioned above, and you're set.

Also, to confirm it's the recording and not the headphones, swap the left and right channels on your amp. (i.e. switch the interconnect cable sides.)

Listen for the same song. If you hear the "crackle" in the other ear now, then congratulations. You now hear more detail than that album's artist wants.

-Ed

Apr 21, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
But yes, it should be better without the foam. Just use the compressed can of air to spray dust out like I mentioned above, and you're set

Even with Zu cable? (I got that too)

must...fight...urge...to...rip...foam...apart...

at least for now... I
600smile.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 5:46 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beto
Even with Zu cable? (I got that too)

must...fight...urge...to...rip...foam...apart...

at least for now... I
600smile.gif

No need to rip the foam out. Just pull on the velvet surrounds. It'll pop right out. The thin foam part is sandwiched inbetween. Push the ear pads and they'll pop back on. You can always replace the foam whenever you like.

Or for an experiment, remove the foam from only one side, and find out if you can hear the difference.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back