Slight CD3000 refurbishment (not too 56k unfriendly)
Mar 25, 2008 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

nickchen

Headphoneus Supremus
Damn. I have easter holidays and intended to pimp my wife's car in order to sell it later, but we are stuck in snow...
angst.gif

Act of compensation:
My old CD3K, especially the pleather parts, are a bit rotten after 15 years
P1010192.jpg

A bit of leather and industry glue...
P1010179.jpg

Before & after
P1010182.jpg

Bottom side wrinkle-free just isn't possible...
P1010003-1.jpg

Not as blue as shown in the other pic, here's more realistic daylight
xP1010006.jpg

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 59
this is too awesome for words, and well deserves a bump!

now I need to find the guts to disassemble my cd1k, find some super soft/thin Manufaktur-like black leather....to see my dream come true
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm just REALLY scared to screw up the belt system
frown.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 59
Don't be scared, it's all cool & easy. As I take a closer look at the pics, I remember that the elastic belt is lead around the whole headband and fixated (kind of) with some metal clips.

You need severe gross motor skills to destroy something...
tongue.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need severe gross motor skills to destroy something...
tongue.gif

mains.jpg

hehe, well, if there's really one piece of equipment I don't wanna screw up..it's this thing
devil_face.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #6 of 59
tongue.gif

Nov 2, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #7 of 59
alright...why reinventing the wheel, ya know?

I've just bought a perfect cd850 :

I might just desolder the drivers from my cd1k(same as cd3k), and put them in this one...end of story
tongue.gif

my cd1k is seriously beat-up:

I bought them second hand in 1996, so I'd say they're quite durable
smily_headphones1.gif

brand new:
060907_cd1000.jpeg

and since these photos some doofus I lent it to almost broke one of the cups(thank you superglue!
evil_smiley.gif
)...7 soldering points and I'd be good to go :

PS: having second thoughts, I could desolder the 2 headband cables and the jack...so this would only mean 2*2 soldering point on the drivers..and resoldering the jack which is piece of cake
bigsmile_face.gif

and the drivers definitely don't look as fragile as Beyer's with their voice coils right under the soldering points..

Nov 2, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might just desolder the drivers from my cd1k(same as cd3k), and put them in this one...end of story
tongue.gif

Quite an idea.

The hardest thing will be getting exchange pads in the long run, guess you'll need experimenting with alien stuff.

Nov 2, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #9 of 59
pads? I got a stash of genuine cd3k pads, and cd750>cd3k share the same ones
wink.gif

I'll take off the original cd850 drivers, make damn sure that the 2 wires in the headband are working, desolder the cd1k jack, put the cable through, resolder the jack and the 2 wires from the headband on the 2 drivers.
then I'll have a brand new cd1k
arnaud_w.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #11 of 59
Wouldn't use a stand, puts too much stress on the elastic headband thingy.

Nov 4, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #13 of 59
Sighhh still waiting on my black leather. In the meantime when i went to purchase leather sewing supplies i got a hold of some red leather (scrap bin) and stitched up the elastic headband. However i don't think it suits the earphone without me repainting the cups.

Tell me what you guys think.

Imageshack - img0091q

Imageshack - img0092fh

Hmmm turned out to look a little orange in the pic.

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #14 of 59
well, do it all over in black if any possible...but sounds like a plan!

anyway, I cannot unscrew the minijack plug, so I need a plan B...I also don't care that the headband assembly is cooked. All I want is to get a proper headband again
evil_smiley.gif

I think my best option is to make a new one in thick leather like nikchen did, use some strong glue...and that's it! almost risk-free and pretty much guaranteed result, I like the sound of that
darthsmile.gif

Nov 5, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #15 of 59
Yeahhh waiting for the black leather to get here... Once i get it i'll glue the headband bit together as well. Should be good.

I've recabled the headphones with SPC and first impressions are that it doesn't sound very different from the stock cable apart from losing a bit of bass and not being as tight.

Will have to let it burn in a bit and report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back