Skullcandy? Seriously???
Mar 12, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #167 of 202
thank GOD i didnt buy those great looking white skullcandies 2 years ago.

Oct 25, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #168 of 202
Ok, so just to go against everything that's been said on here about skullcandy phones, I just ordered a pair of the gold brown TIs today. Thought I'd have a look on here about for reviews, as I got a lot of great info earlier in the year when I got a pair of ultrasones and a headphone amp based from chatting to people on here.

However... I've loved the ridiculously over the top, blinged to stupidity and crazy style of the brown and gold phones since I saw them a few years ago. They're so crazily retro I love them. So I've just paid £45 for a set. I love my old school adidas, still rock shelltoes at 29 and will probably never grow up, which is why I love these.

Ti Brown/Gold

Yes they will probably sound crap, yes they'll probably fall apart, and NO i dont expect them to sound anywhere near the quality of my ultrasones. But I like the look of them and there's really not many other brands out there that make crazy graphic styled phones that I've seen. Admittedly they will probably never be worn outside of the house, but that's not why I'm getting them anyway.

I think this is why they are selling, the majority of people who buy them probably buy them for their looks. And are not likely to want to spend a fortune on a decent set of phones, if they can have something that looks 'cool' and sounds ok then they are happy. SkullCandy don't even mention the sound quality or try to talk up the phones on their site, they briefly mention the freq.response and then talk some complete crape about them, this is their 'product description' on the web page (I don't think that term even qualifies to be fair though!)...

"Narcissus was so in love with himself, that he drowned in a pond while trying to embrace his own reflection. The reflection is rumored to have been wearing a pair of Skullcandy Ti headphones."

THAT'S IT, doesn't mention anything else about them, they could be made of paper and twiglets for all they let us know.

Skullcandy are fun products, that is how they market themselves, that's why they are doing so well in that area of the marketplace. They don't claim to be audiophile products (if you read their 'audiophile' range bit on their site, they're only referring to the more serious STYLING not sound). I think you guys and girls all need to chill out a bit. There's no point getting so worked up about something that doesn't really even have a place on this site (other than for information purposes), so sit back, enjoy your serious setups and if they offend you all so much as they apparently do, stop chatting about them and giving them search links to this site
wink.gif

Anyway, there you go, I thought I'd just chip in my two cents (or 1 and half pence) as i was amazed to read so much angry rants about skullcandy.

Oct 25, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #169 of 202
Back when I was more of a noob than I am now (I'm still pretty new here) I remember buying a pair of Skullcandy headphones and being completely let down by the sound quality. Mediocre would be an overstatement. They honestly are designed aesthetically with nothing else in mind. On top of that, they're flimsy, and broke a week or two after I bought them. crapy cans.

Oct 25, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #172 of 202
I laughed when I went on the site a second ago and saw this
slide-audiophile.jpg

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #174 of 202
Oh my god,
mad.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #175 of 202
Oh man, audiophile skullcandy headphones? I should get those right away! Maybe they manage better than the 100- 18k response range offered by non-audiophile skullcandy headphones. Well even the regular headphones, as listed on the website, states that it is "Torture with a friend with bad taste in music." I don't think it's the music.

Nov 10, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #176 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by parkchansu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe they manage better than the 100- 18k response range offered by non-audiophile skullcandy headphones.

They have since revised the frequency range of those models in question to 18- 20k (read: 18Hz-20kHz).

Nov 10, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #177 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by parkchansu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man, audiophile skullcandy headphones? I should get those right away! Maybe they manage better than the 100- 18k response range offered by non-audiophile skullcandy headphones. Well even the regular headphones, as listed on the website, states that it is "Torture with a friend with bad taste in music." I don't think it's the music.

It's +/- 3dB range generally. So, they could be grossly boosted in the <100Hz range... It's not like speakers or headphones stop producing any and all frequencies below their frequency ranges.

Nov 10, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #178 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoDak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe if they keep milking that target audience they can use the funds to make some decent phones.

I'm not sure if they actually make that huge a profit because the amount of marketing they do. If you lookat any extreme sport event in the world Skullcandy will be there, even small resort wide tournaments.

Nov 10, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #179 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I laughed when I went on the site a second ago and saw this
slide-audiophile.jpg

Just had a look at that, they're the exact same cans but black.... i wonder where they got their definition of 'audiophille' from.....

Nov 10, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #180 of 202
Lol one of my friends had skull candy in our class and everyone was like O_O whoa! lol how much were those?!

Me who was sitting beside him. ---> (-__________-")

It's hard to convince someone that their earphones are bad until you let them try yours..But I don't let others touch my expensive stuff, and there no way I'mma let them put it in their ears lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back