Skullcandy? Seriously???
Feb 6, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #136 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by anti_arrows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately 100-18 is correct.

That does not mean that the Skullcandys cannot reproduce anything below 100Hz whatsoever; it simply means that the audio response below 100Hz may deviate greatly from the reference sound level (as I have mentioned in another thread whose name I did not remember).

Feb 8, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #137 of 202
Once upon a time, when I was still a audio-noob (still am, but slightly more educated now
ksc75smile.gif
.) in a search for headphones that would sound better than the stock iBuds that came with my brand, spankin' new iPod Nano 2g, I looked at the Skullcandies because many of my friends had recommended them as "Freakin AWESOME."

So I decided to do a little research on the intertubes. And everything said about them was quite positive. Until I came upon this website and found better alternatives to Skullcandies..

So, being on a limited budget, I went and dropped some money on the PortaPros. It was, in short, a gateway drug. Addiction followed.

And now my wallet cries. And my mind is boggled by the sheer number of choices I now have beyond iPods and Skullcandies. I hate you guys so, so much.

Feb 8, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #138 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here ya go; I used to have this in my sig area:

intellexual net · m k i v

that was one amazing site...some dark stuff about bose which i didnt know.

thanks for the link

Feb 8, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #139 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erjii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once upon a time, when I was still a audio-noob (still am, but slightly more educated now
ksc75smile.gif
.) in a search for headphones that would sound better than the stock iBuds that came with my brand, spankin' new iPod Nano 2g, I looked at the Skullcandies because many of my friends had recommended them as "Freakin AWESOME."

So I decided to do a little research on the intertubes. And everything said about them was quite positive. Until I came upon this website and found better alternatives to Skullcandies..

So, being on a limited budget, I went and dropped some money on the PortaPros. It was, in short, a gateway drug. Addiction followed.

And now my wallet cries. And my mind is boggled by the sheer number of choices I now have beyond iPods and Skullcandies. I hate you guys so, so much.

My story is similar, only I got the Skullcandies before realizing they sucked. Then I got more garbage.
triportsad.gif
It was only when I became obsessed with reading reviews before I bought/watched anything (movies, games, computer peripherals) that I started looking at reviews for headphones. Originally this meant looking on CNET, but I did eventually look elsewhere for some second opinions. I first found headphonereviews.org, but then I found here... now I only look here. :p I have a search for site:head-fi.org on Google bookmarked so I can easily search the site.
beyersmile.png

As for hating those guys, well, I'm not sure if I do. I'll be getting a much more expensive setup in a couple of weeks, if it takes me to a whole new level of enjoyment, I guess I'll love the advice I've gotten here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #140 of 202
I ALMOST bought some crapcandys. Then I found this site. bought some crappy cx-100 and hd 202's. those being a gateway drug... I just ordered sr60's!

Feb 8, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #141 of 202
I guess I should chirp in and say I have had revelations from this discussion. From my understanding the cheaper in ear skullcandy's aren't that bad at all, a decent upgrade granted you can get better but still worth their price.

The more expensive models are what strike me as silly. But by all means I think I respect them more than Bose now.

Feb 8, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #142 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by cakeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ALMOST bought some crapcandys. Then I found this site. bought some crappy cx-100 and hd 202's. those being a gateway drug... I just ordered sr60's!

Good for you!

I'm still using gateway drugs (JVC HARX700) because im not sure I wanna drop 200 bucks on my not-very-sensitive ears yet
k701smile.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #143 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I bet Sennheiser doesn't make anywhere near as much money as Bose or Skullcandy.

Skullcandy is still relatively small, unlike bose. I'm sure Sennheiser brings in more revenue then skullcandy.

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #144 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emooze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I should chirp in and say I have had revelations from this discussion. From my understanding the cheaper in ear skullcandy's aren't that bad at all, a decent upgrade granted you can get better but still worth their price.

The more expensive models are what strike me as silly. But by all means I think I respect them more than Bose now.

That is the general consensus, but I still disagree. I just think people don't bother looking for something better at that price. But I know from experience through ownership and listening that even their cheaper models aren't quite "best in class" or even that close to it.

Feb 9, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #145 of 202
I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry when a friend of mine was raving about his Skull Candies and told me that "one of the awesome things is that they can go on either ear because they don't have one of those little L or R symbols on them!!!" Oh boy, SC is bringing back mono, how retro!

Feb 9, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #146 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry when a friend of mine was raving about his Skull Candies and told me that "one of the awesome things is that they can go on either ear because they don't have one of those little L or R symbols on them!!!" Oh boy, SC is bringing back mono, how retro!

That.... hurt...

I withdraw my previous statement if this is legit

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #147 of 202
i mean, they have to be useful for something right..?
a make shift weapon, if you ever do come across a ninja, you can use them to choke... meh, nevermind.
skullcandies = /care.

Feb 9, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #148 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skullcandy is still relatively small, unlike bose. I'm sure Sennheiser brings in more revenue then skullcandy.

Skullcandy probably seems big due to to their popularity among casual listeners (mostly teenagers I'll bet). Aside from iBuds, I mostly see Skullcandy and some Sony ones around my school.

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #149 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that was one amazing site...some dark stuff about bose which i didnt know.

thanks for the link

Yep, awesome link +1. Bookmarked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back