Skullcandy INK'D, the new budget IEM champ?
Jan 11, 2008 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

oicdn

Headphoneus Supremus
Target has these beasts for $12.99. I decided I'd pick up a pair, along with some Denon AH-C351 for $44.99 on sale from $50 as I've always wanted to hear the Denon's.

denon_ahc351bk_l.jpg

So I get home and unwrap the Denons and pop them in.Physically, the wire feels cheap and thin. Also, one cable is shorter than the other so that teh wire for one wraps behind your head. Also, it's terminated VERY short, so unless the player or amp is in your front shirt pocket, it will be too short, so you HAVE TO use the included extension. Comes with a nice velvet pouch too.

The other 1st thing I notice is how dry and open they sound. Detailed and resolving, but there's a slight veil over the mids. Also, there's no bass. I switch out tips from medium to small and it gets worse. So I try the larges and there's a marginal improvement, but there's still no bass. I thought maybe it was just the phones, but after fiddling with them for about 15 minutes, I get a seal and there's bass, but it's still pretty weak, and the positioning for it is funky. I read the manual and noticed these buds are "open". And if you look at the bud itself right at the chrome strip, there are infact slits in the bud so it functions as an open driver. That's why it was one of the 1st characteristics I noticed, cause it actually is an open design. Worth the $40? Maybe... The packaging says "extended frequencies" but the only extension seems to be on the higher end as the lower registers really get clipped and it sounds thuddy.

41X4Jt0s07L._AA280_.jpg

Then I open up these Skullcandy INK'd buds and surprisingly, the quality is a bit better. Thicker cable, much longer cord. Although, the buds themselves are made of plastic rather than the metal like the Denon's.

When I put them in my ear, I hear like a plasticky sound. Like you know, the film material of the driver is moving back and forth from the seal my ear is creating when inserting and moviing them around. But the seal is MUCH easier to get...almost just by putting them in my ear I get a seal. With ALL tips, but the medium tip sounded the best.

How do these sound? The highs are a little edgy, and the presentation is definitly more upfront than the Denons and in comparison to Marshmallows, brighter. There does seem to be a little congestion or a veil, but what cheaper buds don't? The bass is SLIGHTLY more abundant, but not as boomy and definitly not as sloppy as Mallows. But there is more impact for sure. Definitely more impact. It makes for a GREAT rock bud with how punchy it is.

IMO, the skullcandies actually beat the Marshmallows in every aspect. The highs are bright ala Grados, and the bass isn't as boomy and there's a little more punch to it. It can handle faster bass MUCH better. Also, they're a bit more resolving and don't seem to smear all the music together. Don't get me wrong, these aren't K701 clear, but definitly the clarity is deifnitely better than the Mallows.

And being $14.99 (normally $19.99) they're in the same price bracket, and being on sale definitly worth the $15 since they isolate a better to boot.

I personally just didn't like the sound of the Denons, and I couldn't get them to seal where the bass was past the point of anemia. But in comparison to either, it sounded thin in the bass. Pretty nice in other areas, but it's just not my preference in sound sig it being dry and all. Also, seeing that it over $50 with tax, deifnitely not even worth a listen at that price point. In short, they're getting returned.

But if you don't like the way Mallows sound, or how they fit in your ear, give the Skullcandies a shot. I think they are a staple as to what everybody should have, ala, a bud version of the KSC 75s...for $14, you won't be disappointed, at all. And it's a hard sound to beat for even the full price of $20...

Jan 12, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #2 of 16
Wow...nobody has tried these yet? And regular price is $14.99...just came back from Target, lol.

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 16
I still champion the Meelectonics AI-M2 as the ~$20 champs but no one really was interested. I did get two friends to try them and they bought them. Though the Mees are metal and a more bassy phone that calms down a bit on the bass and treble with enough burn-in.

Also JVC is releasing the FXC34 real soon. A more comfortable version with more color choices.JVC ANNOUNCES NEW MARSHMALLOW IN-EAR CANAL HEADPHONES. Never tried any of the low end JVC's though.

Jan 12, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #6 of 16
I've owned ER4P/S, Triple.fi, Super.fi 3 and 5 Pro/ E4C and auditioned the E500. Also had PK2's and various lower end stuff like FX55/77, CK5/6 etc. I have heard the Mees through the Meizu M6SL, Sony 616, Toshiba T400, and iriver ifp-899. They paired well with all but the Sony where the warm sound was too bassy and the rather limited EQ couldn't reduce enough of the warmth for me.

For the price, I have never had one bad thing to say about the AI-M2 SQ-wise.
They could come with a pouch and they could use a cord draw though. And one of the few that sound their best with the stock tips. A step below the PK2 and a bit better than the FX77(more seperation, less microphonic). Best active phones I ever tried too. Comfy and light with surprisingly little microphones when running around shooting hoops and such.

Not a giant killer but I always thought they were money well spent with no major flaws on any front. A little boomy and a bit bright out of the package but you can tell that they will clear up after a while.

Possibly you got a bad pair. Maybe the production quality varies.

Another good cheap one that has been dismissed is the Maximo's esp. since the better version has come out. That one can give fit issues but has good SQ for the price.

I would definitely peg those Skullcandys as a chinese OEM rebrand like the Mees appear to be also. Some of them are good though most aren't.

Jan 13, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #7 of 16
Price always has to be considered ... I got the same Skullcandy Ink'd buds from FYE some months ago for all of ten bucks. For that price (or even the $15 you paid), I agree theyre terrific. But it doesn't cost that much more to do better.

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 16
Nobody should EVER consider these or anything in the sub $50 range, KSC75's, Mallows, or anything really in that price point for anything more than "casual" listening.

By casual, I mean gym use, running, biking or any activity which more or less prohibits you from having an amp since an amp is really unncessary when you're doing those kinds of things and you can't really take advantage in the SQ bump like you could sitting in a library, or studying....atleast, I can't.

For anything of active variant, any of the above mentioned are awesome, but like also said, they're probably rebranded something else. And as such, they make an awesome buy. Not necessarily a giant killer, but also like said, a good buy none the less.

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #10 of 16
I got both marshmallows and the ink'd (both $10) and I have to say the marshmallows sound so much more better imo.
The skullcandies weren't bad at all but compared to the mallows it feels like the sound is covered in jello.

Jan 14, 2008 at 10:23 AM Post #11 of 16
i hear skull candy's are generally poor in construction and break very very easily..
and their lack of consideration for sound quality over looks bother me.

Jan 14, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #13 of 16
Hmm, I've picked up two pairs of INKD'd buds yesterday and both of them sonically sounded different. I'm suspecting poor QC (duh...but I'm talking horrible consistency) cause my original pair sounds marginally better than my other two. Same can be said for mallows too, cause I have other pairs of them and none of them sound the same. My Kramer modded KSC75's sounded veiled and congested compared to the ones mrarroyo lent me as well.

Another reason why, cheaper cans should only be taken with a grain of salt for SQ I guess (arbitrarily speaking)...

May 9, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got both marshmallows and the ink'd (both $10) and I have to say the marshmallows sound so much more better imo.
The skullcandies weren't bad at all but compared to the mallows it feels like the sound is covered in jello.

Sorry for the bump but I have to agree with SBD. I had the misfortune to own a pair of INK'D for three days and the cable tore apart the third day with light use. I switched to FX33 Marshmallows for $9.99 and they are better in every aspect (especially the build quality) other than the fact that I brought my INK'D for 6.99 new. I probably have 10 hours of play time with my Mallows since I brought them on Thursday. Didn't do the Kramer mod yet because I plan on buying another pair since they seem to be pretty good value. The bass of the mallow is a bit boomy and the mids/highs are lacking definition but it still sounds better than the INK'D I had.

Jul 10, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #15 of 16
For the low price, these are great "Kobe em when they break" IEMs. If someone1 steals em or somehow steps on them, I won't be crying a salt water pond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back