Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint
Apr 12, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #1,173 of 1,671

No. Bigshot's post was reported by a member. The posts in the thread that was locked were reported. When a bunch of regular posters in a large thread are all trashing it, the thread becomes effectively worthless and is better restarted. 

Conspiring to troll (which is what it amounts to) was considered obnoxious and intolerable from as far back in 1994 when I started in online communities. It is just as obnoxious and intolerable now. It sure as hell does not promote science, but does exactly the opposite.

Bigshot, you stand accused of one count of Conspiring to Troll. How do you plead?

Apr 12, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #1,174 of 1,671
Bigshot, you stand accused of one count of Conspiring to Troll. How do you plead?

It's funny. I've been online a good 10 years longer than Currawong and was there at the dawn of the origin of the term "troll." All I can say is that it has since been misappropriated and turned into a meaningless ad hominem that is hurled by many people at others who they simply don't like or disagree with.

I saw absolutely nothing of a trolling nature in Bigshot's post. What I saw was just a humorous suggestion as to how to prevent trolls and other Sound Science saboteurs from turning threads into a huge mess forcing them to be locked as has happened so may times before.

se

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #1,175 of 1,671
It's funny. I've been online a good 10 years longer than Currawong and was there at the dawn of the origin of the term "troll." All I can say is that it has since been misappropriated and turned into a meaningless ad hominem that is hurled by many people at others who they simply don't like or disagree with.

I saw absolutely nothing of a trolling nature in Bigshot's post. What I saw was just a humorous suggestion as to how to prevent trolls and other Sound Science saboteurs from turning threads into a huge mess forcing them to be locked as has happened so may times before.

se

I agree, apparently serious thread crapping, (if that's the right term), is not considered worthy of any action by the moderators, but injecting a measure of humor into a farcical situation is verboten. The shame is that it's the good, informative threads that get locked and the amount of subjective blather left in the thread can only serve to confuse a newcomer, opinions are never facts, no matter how forcibly stated, but how would the neophyte know that? So, unfortunately, any worthwhile info is diluted by a crank, (being charitable), with apparent impunity.

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #1,176 of 1,671
I agree, apparently serious thread crapping, (if that's the right term), is not considered worthy of any action by the moderators, but injecting a measure of humor into a farcical situation is verboten. The shame is that it's the good, informative threads that get locked and the amount of subjective blather left in the thread can only serve to confuse a newcomer, opinions are never facts, no matter how forcibly stated, but how would the neophyte know that? So, unfortunately, any worthwhile info is diluted by a crank, (being charitable), with apparent impunity.

Yeah, it's basically just a lazy, "kill 'em all and let God sort them out" approach.

se

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #1,177 of 1,671

It appears that bigshot's thumbs up button has been remanded to custody. I eagerly await the bail hearing.

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #1,178 of 1,671
Whatever happened to habeas corpus!?

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #1,180 of 1,671
Yeah, it's basically just a lazy, "kill 'em all and let God sort them out" approach.

se

Aptly put, my turn with the Gatling, after you, but remember "he's" mine. :D

I think there's a definite preference to see the science part of Sound Science remain as soft and "debatable" as possible, some of the subtitles at the top of the page reveal the mindset, imo.

Apr 13, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #1,181 of 1,671
I'm with you guys, but it's useless to argue about moderation on the web. it just is.
all I can suggest is to be as nasty as some, and report the guys you don't like as soon as you can somehow interpret a post as being an attack toward a member. if you can seem offended, it's even better.
you all know by now that a post isn't judge by the truth of its content, it's judge for "disturbing peace in ponyville". so if you guys want to act, use the tools provided.

if that works well, maybe we can get a snitching ranking on the front page too?

sarcasm: "hey at least I look like I'm smilling!"

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #1,182 of 1,671
I'm with you guys, but it's useless to argue about moderation on the web. it just is.

Ain't that the truth.

In my 30 years online, that is something that has held across the board. It's as if they feel that if they concede on even the smallest point, the system will suddenly break down into total anarchy. So in order to preserve the system, it's better that some innocents be sacrificed.

se

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #1,183 of 1,671
all I can suggest is to be as nasty as some, and report the guys you don't like as soon as you can somehow interpret a post as being an attack toward a member. if you can seem offended, it's even better.
you all know by now that a post isn't judge by the truth of its content, it's judge for "disturbing peace in ponyville". so if you guys want to act, use the tools provided.

I doubt Currawong or the other head-fi mods are easily influenced by people "seeming" to be offended. Instead, I suspect that they typically judge the "truth" of the content by the posting guidelines.

And in fact, as you recommended, using the "tools provided" is the only option according to the posting guidelines:

"DON'T reply If someone makes an off-topic, rude or otherwise inappropriate comment, or a post appears to be trolling or spam. Report it by clicking on the red flag and filling in the box explaining what the problem is and let the moderators take care of it. If something is inappropriate or rude, what is the point of giving it more attention by replying to it and/or quoting it?!? If nobody replies to or comments on a trolling or abusive post 100% of the time the person goes away!"

I'm no saint. I don't want to pretend that I haven't got pissed off myself and responded when I shouldn't. But that guideline is sensible advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back