Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint
Apr 14, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #1,201 of 1,671
Quote:
You get to choose the reason for the report and to add commentary. Go ahead and click it. There's a cancel option.

se

Thank you.    I just check on your post.

evil_smiley.gif

Apr 14, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #1,202 of 1,671
Can you report yourself?

not sure that would be productive, but in fact you can see the report button as a pm to modos. you can pretty much talk about anything you want on the subject of the post, even if it's a good thing.
it's a report, not a kill switch.

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #1,204 of 1,671
Apr 14, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #1,205 of 1,671
There should be catchy titles lambasting 24-bit music, high resolution files, and all things Pono.  The premise should be that these provide no audible improvement in sound quality and that these are basically consumer scams.  It should be the first threads that people see when they stumble into this forum.  It really does feel like a marketing war with an industry that has an absolutely deplorable history with regards to integrity and moral values over greed.

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #1,208 of 1,671
  Oh yes.  I just voted for you.  If you win, remember me.

I would have never reached the lofty heights of 7,155 posts without my adoring fans.  How could I ever forget you?

biggrin.gif

You made sure to hit Cancel instead of Submit, right? RIGHT!?
biggrin.gif

Probably...

I'll set you up with a proxy or something if you need to hide from Currawong.

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #1,209 of 1,671
The issue is that the problem still isn't addressed; that is, people are free to come into the new thread and post pages about CD mats. Evidently the solution is to narc on them via the report system, but why is that necessary when mods have already seen them poopoo *2* major threads in a week?

If no one would reply, the guy that did most of the posting in those two threads wouldn't be posting that much. Putting all the blame on him is a very one-sided way of looking at it.

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #1,210 of 1,671
If no one would reply, the guy that did most of the posting in those two threads wouldn't be posting that much. Putting all the blame on him is a very one-sided way of looking at it.

Putting the blame on the person making the non-scientific claims in the sound science forum? I'm okay with that. I myself stopped posting in those threads to him eventually, but I'm not going to hold it against people for trying to make valid arguments against voodoo. After all, people who don't know a lot about audio end up finding these threads; it's good to have reason sprayed in there. What's happened out of all this is two good threads locked and bigshot AWOL (I don't blame him); great outcome.

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #1,211 of 1,671
Putting the blame on the person making the non-scientific claims in the sound science forum?

It's obvious from reading many of the Sound Science threads that a lot of people like responding to subjectivist claims in order to correct them.

I myself stopped posting in those threads to him eventually, but I'm not going to hold it against people for trying to make valid arguments against voodoo. After all, people who don't know a lot about audio end up finding these threads; it's good to have reason sprayed in there. What's happened out of all this is two good threads locked and bigshot AWOL (I don't blame him); great outcome.

Look at the end of the 24 bit thread that got locked:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/415361/24bit-vs-16bit-the-myth-exploded/3420

That's not people discussing sound science with vaild arguments. That's more like school yard kids piling on one kid that they don't like what he said. :cool:

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #1,212 of 1,671
It's obvious from reading many of the Sound Science threads that a lot of people like responding to subjectivist claims in order to correct them.
Look at the end of the 24 bit thread that got locked:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/415361/24bit-vs-16bit-the-myth-exploded/3420

That's not people discussing sound science with vaild arguments. That's more like school yard kids piling on one kid that they don't like what he said.
cool.gif

A few pages of bickering in hundred-paged threads is just what happens on the internet. Doesn't bother me none, and things end up righting themselves. But hey, you like how the mods handled it? Fine by me.

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #1,213 of 1,671
A few pages of bickering in hundred-paged threads is just what happens on the internet. Doesn't bother me none, and things end up righting themselves. But hey, you like how the mods handled it? Fine by me.

I didn't comment on how the mods handled it.

But there is a big difference between discussing the science and piling on like happened at the end of that 24 bit thread.

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #1,214 of 1,671
I didn't comment on how the mods handled it.

But there is a big difference between discussing the science and piling on like happened at the end of that 24 bit thread.

The science is the stuff that happens before people realize they are being trolled, at which point things devolve for a page or two. Locking threads for doing what threads of that size normally do seems the wrong way to handle things, esp. when said thread does contain large chunks of good scientific material / argument. But what's done is done, so I guess all we can do now is shepherd the new threads with more vigor, whatever that means.

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #1,215 of 1,671

We will have to agree to disagree on that one, it was impossible to have any sort of dialogue without him butting in with some bollocks, thread progress was glacial at best. As late as yesterday he came out with some impossible nonsense that was refuted, (correctly), by at least two posters, no more than two posts later he came out with the same twaddle again, you think perhaps that's not frustrating to other contributors? I could understand the eventual resort to childishness and piling on. And he had been warned, more than once that the nature of his posts were likely to cause thread lock. Impossible to get any logical reasoning through to him.
Sad that this guy, single handedly crapped the two most informative threads on the site. I can't find anything positive to say about him, worse than being married to the mother in law, at least she knows when to shut the ****** up and she can cook, sometimes both together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back