Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint
Dec 12, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #481 of 1,671
Both will try reproducing the frequency, both will fail producing the "requested" SPL.

This of course means high distortion if you (try to) boost the SPL to the requested level.. but the harmonics will be outside the hearing range anyway.

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #482 of 1,671
Both will try reproducing the frequency, both will fail producing the "requested" SPL.

This of course means high distortion if you (try to) boost the SPL to the requested level.. but the harmonics will be outside the hearing range anyway.

Only if you're talking about treble. If you try to boost bass outside the drivers' capability the distortion is very much audible

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 13, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #484 of 1,671

I ask because I am using ACS T15's with the Digizoid at the moment. Playing a piece of music that I know well with a lot of sub bass.
When the bass drops it goes down so low then just disappears. No sign of distress just nothing. I know from other systems that there is a lot more on the recording. Where has that energy gone? In a dynamic driver It would presumably turn to heat.

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #485 of 1,671
Oh yes I was talking about treble roll-off, since it's common with BA in-ears at around 16 kHz.

At the lower end, I don't see why BAs would be any different. The exception is of course an integrated high-pass filter, that "blocks" very low frequencies.

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #486 of 1,671
Balanced vs unbalanced audio gear. What are your guys' thoughts on it?

Balanced seems to be a popular option here with more expensive gear.

I like balanced because it looks cooler.  I have never detected a difference between balanced and SE, unless I am dealing with massive power or long runs of cable.  This is not likely for me to come across in headphone equipment.

Regardless, I like it, but only for the aesthetics.  As goofy as that is...

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #487 of 1,671
Balanced seems to be a popular option here with more expensive gear.

Balanced e.g. makes sense with long cable runs if you have mics at the other end.

I don't think most gear around here is truly balanced but bridged.

Btw, balanced doesn't require cold wire carrying the inverted hot signal (so called differential signaling).

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #488 of 1,671
I am a bit baffled as to the specs given on my ACS T15 IEM's. ACS quote 16Hz to 20kHz (but no dB value). On the packaging there is this graph. http://iahpt.wordpress.com/2012/03/31/review-acs-t15-the-analytic-dwarf/
Which seems to cut off between 50Hz and 10Khz.
What can be extrapolated from this information?

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #489 of 1,671
I am a bit baffled as to the specs given on my ACS T15 IEM's. ACS quote 16Hz to 20kHz (but no dB value). On the packaging there is this graph. http://iahpt.wordpress.com/2012/03/31/review-acs-t15-the-analytic-dwarf/
Which seems to cut off between 50Hz and 10Khz.
What can be extrapolated from this information?

there is as usual in audio, no official rule that forces the brands to define the frequency range the same way. I usually don't even look at those values. for some the limit is a few db drop, for some it's as long as there is some kind of signal.
from what I have owned, dynamic drivers tended to have a wider operational range.

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #490 of 1,671
If it was some other company I wouldn't be surprised but ACS dealing with musicians and technicians I am very suprised that if they give information they do not make it useful!

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #491 of 1,671
Low end seems to extends relatively flat, but at the high end all bets are off.

Dec 15, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #494 of 1,671
My guess is because the graph appears flatter by not including the roll-off on the frequency extremes, or because the measurement system isn't very reliable <50 and >10k Hz.

The standard "20 Hz - 20 kHz" range specification is completely meaningless. As miceblue said it could easily be +-20 dB.

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #495 of 1,671
Hmmm. AFAIK any meaningful FR should be given +or- 3dB if it is to be a useful measurement. I am particularly interested as I am using these with the Digizoid. It sounds great but there is something about the bass that is bugging me. I am curious as to how much extension I am really hearing. I think I will email ACS and ask them what dB that FR is measured at. The graph seems to me to be as much use as a chocolate tea pot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back