Size Matters - Earpad hole measurements for Over-ear Headphones....
Mar 14, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #106 of 147
It's rare hearing people complain about the HD800 comfort, but I read this over on reddit: "The earcup depth [on HD800] is pretty shallow and they're almost too big in circumference. I'm finding my ears are pressed against the felt of the drivers and my jaw can get irritated by how big the earcups are."

Is that true about HD800. Never seen one, but looking at the pictures, it looks the cups are plenty deep. 

This is a perpetual struggle for me. I can't wear most headphones due to the itchiness on the tips of my ears touching the driver felt on most headphones. That's why I had to let my DT990 and HD 600 go. HD 600 was a little deeper than the 990 but the pads get softer soon and the same dreaded hot spots on the ears.

Is there a headphone with HD800-style big-holed pads that are also very deep?

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #107 of 147
  It's rare hearing people complain about the HD800 comfort, but I read this over on reddit: "The earcup depth [on HD800] is pretty shallow and they're almost too big in circumference. I'm finding my ears are pressed against the felt of the drivers and my jaw can get irritated by how big the earcups are."

Is that true about HD800. Never seen one, but looking at the pictures, it looks the cups are plenty deep. 

This is a perpetual struggle for me. I can't wear most headphones due to the itchiness on the tips of my ears touching the driver felt on most headphones. That's why I had to let my DT990 and HD 600 go. HD 600 was a little deeper than the 990 but the pads get softer soon and the same dreaded hot spots on the ears.

Is there a headphone with HD800-style big-holed pads that are also very deep?

HD800's are about as big as it gets in terms of space for ears.
Current measurements:
Inner Height:  82mm
Inner Width:   62mm
Inner Depth:   22mm - 32mm (fromt to back)

The problem that a few people experience is usually due to a head shape and big ear combination.
If you have a generally small head and relatively large and/or protruding ears (like me); it can become apparent that headphones with larger openings will inevitably sit on the curved part of the back of the head and the jaw.  This will lead to drivers sitting closer, and even against your ears. I had this particular problem with the AKG K7XX. The vast majority of people have not had a touching problem from the HD800, but is still possible for this reason.

I have found that it is better to try to get close to ear size without actually touching, and have plenty of depth as well.
The HD700, and G4me Zero from Sennheiser have been closer to my comfort. Their measurements are as follows:

HD700:
Inner Height: 69mm
Inner Width:  46mm
Inner depth:  25mm - 29mm (by cup-liner pattern)

G4me Zero:
Inner Height: 76mm
Inner Width:  45mm
Inner Depth:  20mm - 29mm (front to back)

My ears can still touch depth-wise in both, but are FAR better than anything else I have tried as far as keeping the driver padding off my ears.

Many people have gone my recommended route, and simply bought aftermarket earpads. Brainwavz makes rather large pads in angled and level varieties, and a few options in color and material. ZMF has large oval pads as well. Many people recommend those.

ZMF Ovals: acording to their site
Inner Height: 73mm
Inner Width:  55mm
Inner Depth: 19mm - 38mm (front to back)

Brainwavz:
Inner Height: 70mm
Inner Width:  47mm
Inner Depth:  26mm (can vary a couple mm)

There are probably more pads available if you dig a little.

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #108 of 147
Thanks!

The funny thing is my ears aren't even that large... Just average. My problem is I don't like anything pressing against them, even gently touching for sustained periods of time.

It's surprising why HD800-style large headphones are so few.

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #109 of 147
  Thanks!

The funny thing is my ears aren't even that large... Just average. My problem is I don't like anything pressing against them, even gently touching for sustained periods of time.

It's surprising why HD800-style large headphones are so few.

I am also in this mindset to some extent. When reviewing various headphones, I have sold several pairs simply because the comfort was unacceptable around the ears, clamped too much, or were just too heavy. The things I have kept for the most part are just the ones with acceptable or better comfort. It is by far the most important factor for me.

Mar 26, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #110 of 147
Contributing:

All measurements are inside the cup...

Sennheiser PC-360 G4me (Gaming Headset - had these many years - long out of production)
Height: 70mm
Width: 41mm
Depth: 25mm
Shape: oval

Sennheiser PC-373D (Gaming Headset - replacement for the above)
Height: 70mm
Width: 36mm
Depth: 25mm
Shape: oval

Rather annoyed these are narrower than their predecessors - definitely less comfortable around the ear.

HiFiMan Edition-X V2
Height: 85mm
Width: 55mm
Depth: 22mm (front) to 30mm (rear)
Shape: inverted teardrop/oval

Just bought these - very very comfortable for my big ears.

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #111 of 147
Hey Guys i find the v moda xl pads still too small and uncomfy for me and im trying to figure out if one could modify somehow the brainwavz hm5 pads (angled one with leather) to the v modas m100.. I still have the originals which im not using and was thinking if i can somehow take the back of that and attach it to the brainwavz ? Anyone ever played around with this ?

Jun 15, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #112 of 147
Contributing:

Beyerdynamic DT 250

Height: 57mm
Width: 34mm
Depth: 22mm

Sony MDR-7506

Height: 60mm
Width: 37mm
Depth: 19mm

Superlux HD669

Height: 51mm
Width: 51mm
Depth: 22mm

Bose Soundtrue AE II

Height: 60mm
Width: 42mm
Depth: 19mm

Jun 30, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #113 of 147
Just got a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 AEBT (around ear). The OEM pads are small (as noted by many other people) and get uncomfortable sitting on parts of my ear after only 5-10 minutes.

I bought some Brainwavz velour pads -- big and comfortable (very little contact pressure on head), but the Momentums lose their noise-cancelling ability for some reason - you can clearly hear a normal volume conversation when the N/C is on but no music is playing; perhaps the pleather version would keep out external sounds. The Brainwavz extend 3/8" beyond the circumference of the phones.

Anyone else have any experience with retrofitting the Momentums with larger ear pads?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #114 of 147
HyperX Cloud pads
These are sometimes mentioned as alternative pads for the ATH M40x and M50x. Haven't tried them with those headphones, but these make pretty good replacements for the original Creative Aurvana Live! They fit a little loosely, but not so much that they will come off, and since they are oval, they don't spin around the cups either, just a slight bit of wiggle.

102mm outside vertically
80mm outside horizontally

70mm inside vertical measurement
42mm inside horizontal measurement
Depth is roughly 22mm

Aug 2, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #118 of 147
Sennheiser HD579/599:
46mm (inside width)
73mm (inside height)

Sennheiser HD58X:
41mm (inside width)
66mm (inside height)
22mm (inside depth)

Sony CH700N:
43mm (inside width)
68mm (inside height)
Did not calculate depth

All measurements could be +/- 2mm
Updated: 8/6/18

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #119 of 147
Just got a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 AEBT (around ear). The OEM pads are small (as noted by many other people) and get uncomfortable sitting on parts of my ear after only 5-10 minutes.

I bought some Brainwavz velour pads -- big and comfortable (very little contact pressure on head), but the Momentums lose their noise-cancelling ability for some reason - you can clearly hear a normal volume conversation when the N/C is on but no music is playing; perhaps the pleather version would keep out external sounds. The Brainwavz extend 3/8" beyond the circumference of the phones.

Anyone else have any experience with retrofitting the Momentums with larger ear pads?

Did you ever solve this? I just picked up some wireless HD-1 (around ear) and the ear cup is just too small for my ears -- but just barely. It's awkward enough that I've started an RMA.

But the sound is great (for a wireless closed back noise canceller -- still rather listen on my Hifiman HE400S, but that's not an option in noisy place or where I need to be wireless).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back