Size Matters - Earpad hole measurements for Over-ear Headphones....
Feb 17, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #91 of 147
Contributing:

Brand: Monoprice
Model: 8323
Inner Width: 35mm 
Inner Height: 54mm
Inner Depth: 16mm

These are the default pads. Clearly you can just put any brainvawz pads you want on these.
The way they are designed, you can tuck your ears inside which can give +/- 5mm of extra space for ears.
Either way, kinda small.

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #92 of 147
Contributing:

Brand: TurtleBeach
Model: X12
Inner Width: 40mm 
Inner Height: 60mm
Inner Depth: 19mm

The pads are fine, NEVER buy the actual TurtleBeach X12 though. They are muddy as all heck.
they do also fit on the Monoprice 8323.

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #94 of 147
Beyrdynamic Gel Pads - purchased separately on Beyerdynamic T70 headphones). Measurement accuracy +/- 2mm.

Outer Height - 105mm
Inner Height - 63mm
Outer Width - 105mm
Inner Width - 63mm
Depth - 22mm (before compressed/worn)

These are the best pads I've ever used - excellent seal when wearing glasses, very good contact (good for bass), very hot though :)

Brainwavz Angled Pleather Memory Foram (uninstalled, i.e. not on a headphone). Measurements (+/- 2mm)

Outer Height - 110mm
Inner Height - 72mm
Outer Width - 85mm
Inner Width - 41mm
Depth - 22/37mm - they are angled, so less shallow towards the front and thicker/deeper towards the back of the head (before compressed/worn)

Apr 13, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #95 of 147
Hello All,

Could you tell me how many of these ear cushions are attached to the headphones please?

I have Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 over ear headphones (i.e. which have larger ear cushions than the earlier model, if I understand correctly).

I like the headphones (look good, good sound even just on an iPhone 6 headphone socket) but they are too small for my ears.

I have taken one pad off to see how they are attached and it appears that they have a poorly pliable plastic, similar to PVC raincoat material, which has a cutout which is manipulated into a very thin slot or groove all the way around the headphone.

Is this a common mode of attachment?

If so, I guess that I could try some bigger Sennheiser pads and just hope they don't wiggle out of the slot.

Do you think this will work?

And here are the dimensions of the cushions:

These are OVAL cushions, which are stitched into an approximately rectangular cross section cup.

Stitching to stitching outer height: 85 mm (a couple of mm bigger at outermost bulge)
Stitching to stitching outer width:  68 mm
Stitching to stitching inner height: 65 mm (a couple of mm smaller at the innermost bulge)
Stitching to stitching inner width:  40 mm

(The outer diameters of the bodies of the headphone cup mechanisms are 90 * 75mm.)

So, one question here and some information for the database.

Regards,
George.

May 24, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #96 of 147
This thread is SUPER useful. Considering that it is very difficult to physically try headphones, this information is vital in my opinion. 

One thing dawned on me as I read through the various ear cup sizes posted: Are MOST headphones too small for the average ear?

Average ear sizes
Male: 64mm
Female: 59mm

Based on the above, the only headphones able to accommodate the average male ear are the Sennheisers (excluding Momentum over ear) and the AKG 7 series. 

Indeed my ear is 63mm and the Sennheiser HD650 as well as the AKG K701 are a great fit for me. I wanted to try an over ear model from Beyerdynamic or Shure but based on the ear cup sizes posted... they seem very small to accommodate the average ear size. 

I once tried the B&W P7 and the Sennheiser Momentum over ear and indeed they were really small. 

Is the average user compromising comfort by squeezing their ears into small ear cups?

Very puzzled by this.

Jun 13, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #97 of 147
The logic I understand would lead me to assume that they are not very concerned about the ear lobe taking some pressure. I think they put higher priority on avoiding parts of the jaw in many cases.

Jul 27, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #98 of 147
HiFiMan Edition S with stock pads:

These are labeled and marketed as on-ear, but that makes no sense.

Interior earcup dimensions:

Height--52mm at smallest, and 62mm at largest.  Contoured to the shape of the human ear extremely well, so that this should work for people with ears up to 62mm in height if they are close to average-shaped.
Width--42mm
Depth--21mm

The marketing and packaging for these calling them "on-ear" is obviously a mistake according to these measurements.  They are definitely over-ear.  I have actually notified the HiFiMan rep of this.  Hopefully the company will do something about the marketing mistake.  If not I may have to get together a group of other owners of the headphone to petition the company directly, because this mistaken label of on-ear is clearly affecting the sales and interest in what is actually an amazing headphone.

Just goes to show how important these measurements can be!

Sony MDR-100AAP with stock pads:

Inner Height--58mm
Width--38mm
Depth--18mm

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #103 of 147
Found this thread super helpful while I was shopping for my new headphones. Decided to get the Meze 99 Classics. Didn't see a measurement for those, so I'll add them here. All measurements are for the inner part of the pad.

Height: 60mm
Width: 40mm
Depth: 20mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back