Site harder to navigate, and too reliant on javascript.
May 9, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #16 of 42
The "more forums" pulldown isn't available on all pages - doesn't exist on the PM page for example.

The JS in the edit window breaks the spellchecker in Firefox. On Linux, anyway - haven't tried on windows. Right-clicking on a word with a red squiggly line under it pulls up a JS cut/copy/paste menu. I hate this.

Also, when a large block of text has been quoted. the edit window doesn't let a person scroll down in a way that places the cursor outside of the viewed area. This is very annoying, and goes against all known conventions of stream editing.

May 10, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #17 of 42
Anyone else (specifically Chrome dev users) getting a really low-fi looking spinning circle loading icon when trying to view thumbnails? And I say trying because the thumbnails never load?

Also, regarding the right-click: I and several other people have mentioned this, but try Ctrl + right clicking. That should (might) bring up the normal right click menu. This should be stickied, because it's one of the most common complaints and very easy to fix (though an extra inconvenience).

May 10, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #18 of 42

Quote:

Also, regarding the right-click: I and several other people have mentioned this, but try Ctrl + right clicking. That should (might) bring up the normal right click menu. This should be stickied, because it's one of the most common complaints and very easy to fix (though an extra inconvenience).

i think this menu falls into the "just because you can doesn't mean you should" category of misguided features.

cut, copy, and paste are available on the standard menu. This 'feature' brings nothing to the table except window dressing.

May 10, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #19 of 42

Quote:
Anyone else (specifically Chrome dev users) getting a really low-fi looking spinning circle loading icon when trying to view thumbnails? And I say trying because the thumbnails never load?

Same here. 
angry_face.gif

May 10, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #20 of 42
I realize I've been using vbulletin here and elsewhere for a long time.  It's comfortable.  I also realize it will take time to adapt to something new.

That being said, this format is not intuitively user friendly.  I find it annoying and laborious to find what I'm looking for.  The forum experience has become unpleasant and each day I have less interest in coming here.  I'm still interested in the content, but he forum experience has been devalued ... at least for me.  Since head-fi seems committed to this format I hope they can work to improve functionality from a user's perspective.    

May 10, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #22 of 42
I'm already comfortable with the new UI, just needs some fixes for its own good, usability issues aside.

May 11, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #23 of 42
I'm having a terrible time on the iPhone - my preferred method of access since I'm out of the house 16-18 hours a day. It just crashed my browser a minute ago and is taking forever to load. I feel like I'm on dial up again. Unless the issues are remedied, I won't be able to spend that much time here and I suspect it'll be the same for many others. For a site that relies on user-created content to drive traffic, it should be much easier for those users to come here and create that content. I understand that the old software probably had significant disadvantages, but this software, in its current form, makes things very difficult on the users.

May 11, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #24 of 42
So a little weight-loss for the new layout is in order.

May 11, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #25 of 42

Quote:
I'm having a terrible time on the iPhone - my preferred method of access since I'm out of the house 16-18 hours a day. It just crashed my browser a minute ago and is taking forever to load. I feel like I'm on dial up again. Unless the issues are remedied, I won't be able to spend that much time here and I suspect it'll be the same for many others. For a site that relies on user-created content to drive traffic, it should be much easier for those users to come here and create that content. I understand that the old software probably had significant disadvantages, but this software, in its current form, makes things very difficult on the users.

In complete agreement.  I'm another predominantly mobile connected user.  And I know this may sound weird but this site seems to drain my batteries faster too - this is the second day that I'm running out of power, Yet I tried the same trip without accessing HeadFi, but still using the Net, and power drain was back to normal.
confused_face_2.gif

May 11, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #26 of 42
OK, so I can understand that vbulletin was becoming a pain to administer (I am a web developer and system admin by trade), and I like aspects of the new look and feel. BUT this is absolutely HORRIBLE to use on an iPhone, the excess javascript just kills speed and battery life! Again like many others this (my mobile device) is my main usage option. I tried to revert to RSS feeds, but cannot seem to find an up to date link. Anyone care to help out in that regard?

Quote:
In complete agreement.  I'm another predominantly mobile connected user.  And I know this may sound weird but this site seems to drain my batteries faster too - this is the second day that I'm running out of power, Yet I tried the same trip without accessing HeadFi, but still using the Net, and power drain was back to normal.
confused_face_2.gif

May 11, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #27 of 42
x2 on the iPhone performance sucking.  It is actually probably the worst website (that doesn't include flash) to access on a mobile device.  There is such an insane amount of javascript that it kills my phone on every single page!  I hope that the upcoming mobile 'solution' that will be released will be a full functional head-fi and not some dumbed-down mobile version of the site

May 11, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #28 of 42
Trust me, monsieurguzel, nobody is more aware of this than me, as I do a great deal of Head-Fi reading/moderating/administration from my iPhone.  Seeing the experience improved on the iPhone/iPad is a gigantic priority, and I'm championing it hard--real hard.

May 12, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #29 of 42
I'm not seeing any performance issues on either my laptop or even my Nexus One- everything seems to run smoothly. In fact, browsing on my phone doesn't seem to be any slower at all. It absolutely murders my Zune HD though!

May 12, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #30 of 42
Seems like Head-fi needs some simplified mobile-platform apps written, starting with the iPhone stat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back