Singxer SU-6
Feb 2, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #196 of 1,016
You need to use common yellow sand, the crystalline quartz structure essentially traps random resonant frequencies coming off the hardware. Don't use white sand (too much calcite) or black sand (too many minerals) as they could cause short circuits and harm the equipment.

Feb 2, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #197 of 1,016
A friend has a modified SU-1 and been very happy. So am I after splurging on SU-6 to feed a Gustard X-26. SU-2 is an upgrade to factory SU-1 but not sure how it compares to mod SU-1. So, pick your poison.

I2S cables: I've been happy with WireWorld UltraViolet 0.3m but never heard the friend's AudioQuest's Vodka which makes him happy too. Reportedly, short length is key for high SQ.

Your post confused me a bit. Do you mean that although your friend was happy modding his SU-1 you went for the SU-6 instead? Then why not try the mod route? Do you mean that an SU-2 is an upgrade that can be done with an existing SU-1, or the SU-2 is the same as a factory SU-1?

I had a fantastic experience with Wireworld too. It was with their Aurora 7 power cable. I Googled it and I think you were referring to a USB cable. So short USB cables are supposed to sound better... interesting because for RCA cables and power cables, length can improve the sound to up to a certain amount.

PS I have a suggestion: when talking about cables that would be helpful if you specify the TYPE of cable you're referring to (USB, power or RCA). Thanks

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #198 of 1,016
Hi, everyone. I have a heavy modded singxer su-1 and now also a singxer su-6 .
I connect them by i2s (HDMI) with my LKS DAC. The singxer su-1 in the modded version is already very good, and hard to beet.
When I first got the new singxer su-6 I was a little disappointed at first. Even though Bass was clearly tighter and more defined .
The sync problem when switching between higher resolution PCM and DSD is also solved in the SU-6.
But the tradeoff was less soundstage and depths. I started to experiment with different HDMI cable's, just to find that my wire-would I was already using gave the best results.
Even though I've read in some forums that there is no sonic difference between a linear power supply the supplied switching power supply that comes with the device, I tried it anyway. And boy was I glad that I tried it :) .
I bought a 30w 9volt linear power supply ultra low noise from China with an R-Core !!! transformer.
That brought me back all the things I love'd about the su-1 plus the well defined bass and the seamless switching between higher resolution PCM and DSD.
The next step was filling the SU-6 with sand, just as I did with the SU-1. That made the presentation even more focused then it ever was with the SU-1.
So now you know the rest of the story :)
Very intriguing and controversial idea, indeed... sand!? Well on one hand you would void the warranty for any equipment and make it so it's difficult to resell, if you can ever clean out clean it out properly, and on another hand, I would seriously recommend first buying a thermometer gun and opening up the unit in question to make sure there are no components that get got enough to require cooling off; thus causing a possible heat build-up with the sand acting perhaps like insulation; of course bypassing the design for vent holes on the said device. But on the other hand, I see how it may potentially have some sonic benefit because of component isolation.

So which did you like better, the modded SU-1, or the SU-6 without sand?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #199 of 1,016
Very intriguing and controversial idea, indeed... sand!? Well on one hand you would void the warranty for any equipment and make it so it's difficult to resell, if you can ever clean out clean it out properly, and on another hand, I would seriously recommend first buying a thermometer gun and opening up the unit in question to make sure there are no components that get got enough to require cooling off; thus causing a possible heat build-up with the sand acting perhaps like insulation; of course bypassing the design for vent holes on the said device. But on the other hand, I see how it may potentially have some sonic benefit because of component isolation.

So which did you like better, the modded SU-1, or the SU-6 without sand?
Read my post carefully. ( The SU-6 )
To do the Sand MOD you first open the SU, and cover the opening loosely with a big piece of transparent kitchen wrapping foil. Then you take a cup or 2 of quartz sand and start filling the device. The foil will since down.
After the SU is filled, you fold the outer ends of the foil to the middle of the Su, so they overlap.
The SU has to be filled all the way. Then close the SU and listen and enjoy J
There is no ventilation in the SU, and the Sand transports heat good enough to not cause any problems.

Feb 3, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #202 of 1,016
I couldn't find your post that mentioned the process of filling it with sand, can you post a link to that post? And I'm failing to understand how something could exist called transparent foil, being that foil is metal rather than transparent, also how would foil not cause any short circuit? Maybe you can open it for a photo of that.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #205 of 1,016
Xoverman I hope it didn't seem like I was mocking your sand filling idea; I was just a little skeptical then tried to add some humor. But when I read that you use a specific kind of sand and presumably a non-conductove type of foil, the concept gains a little 'weight'. I'm just not sure I would take the plunge.

Also I have the SU-1. Any simple / cheap mods to make it even better? Or I may (consider) the sand mod for it if I saw photos of the process.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #206 of 1,016
Xoverman I hope it didn't seem like I was mocking your sand filling idea; I was just a little skeptical then tried to add some humor. But when I read that you use a specific kind of sand and presumably a non-conductove type of foil, the concept gains a little 'weight'. I'm just not sure I would take the plunge.

Also I have the SU-1. Any simple / cheap mods to make it even better? Or I may (consider) the sand mod for it if I saw photos of the process.
No problem J This is what I mean:

Attachments

• Folie.jpg
    Folie.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 0
Feb 6, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #207 of 1,016
Oh, in the west we call that saran wrap. I personally would not go that route, it is too thin and susceptible to tearing especially from the small granules of sand. And it is extremely easy to melt, in case any internal parts are hot. Perhaps I would try it but only if it is in a system such as this that does not have any moving parts, and if I found a thicker material to enclose it with. Would you mind to share a picture of this mod inside your Singxer?

Feb 7, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #208 of 1,016
Oh, in the west we call that saran wrap. I personally would not go that route, it is too thin and susceptible to tearing especially from the small granules of sand. And it is extremely easy to melt, in case any internal parts are hot. Perhaps I would try it but only if it is in a system such as this that does not have any moving parts, and if I found a thicker material to enclose it with. Would you mind to share a picture of this mod inside your Singxer?

The sand people talk about is what Entreq has been using in their ground boxes.

Though there are tons of cheaper Chinese alternatives
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33013878936.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32998974239.html

01IYI97.jpg

Basically it's tourmaline & quartz crystals mixed together. They have properties that affect EMI/RFI or something.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #210 of 1,016
Has anyone here tried the singxer with a Curious USB cable?

I ordered a Curious Evolved cable to try out. Haven't received it yet. Just wondering if anyone here has it and reports any benefits.

Read reviews and some people say they get better sound with pc to dac direct with the Curious cable, rather than through an additional component like the singxer/gustard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back