Singxer SU-6
Aug 16, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #106 of 1,018
Thanks Baten.
One question : what additional functionnality brings the new firmware of July 2019? is it better SQ also?
Or is it just fixing bugs?
Regards
Richard
No idea. All it says is
"the firmware V2.20 version of SU-6 has bug, we recommend that it be upgraded to V2.21 version".

If you are on V2.20 I would update. The XMOS tool should be able to show you which firmware you are on.

Aug 16, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #107 of 1,018
@samuelboy said 4.13 from http://www.singxer.com/col.jsp?id=108 would work for the flashing, in XMOS/dfu/ folder

afterwards uninstall and install newest software (v4.67 as of now)

I have installed versions earlier than v4.13. They all reside in XMOS folder but their dfu app cannot recognize the SU-6. The v4.13 could. So do use that.

After updating the firmware, just run the v4.67. The installation process will prompt you to uninstall v4.13 so you don’t have to do it separately. After v4.67 is installed, there will no longer be XMOS folder (means no more dfu app too). The newer versions are now in Singxer folder which do not have the dfu app.

This could mean any future firmware updates would need to go through the whole cycle again... uninstall current drivers, install 4.13, update firmware, install back current driver.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #109 of 1,018
Just to be clear, to flash firmware u first install using a windows PC xmos driver old version of 2016 v3.20.0 (as per instructions) as found in this link below, correct? (desinstal before that any windows xmos driver newer version + disable driver signature verification) :

https://download.shenzhenaudio.com/Singxer/Singxer-USB-Audio-Class2-Driver/USB Audio 2.0 Driver/

Then you go to XMOS directory and u find the application to flash the firmware new version (and also to know which version firmware is installed...).

If you listen to music using windows OS then u have to install after that windows newest usb audio driver version v.4.67 of august 2019: https://download.shenzhenaudio.com/Singxer/
Otherwise you dont need.

Is all that correct?

Refer to my post above. 3.20’s dfu app will not recognize the SU-6, so do use 4.13 instead.

Aug 16, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #110 of 1,018
Just got a reply from Singxer themselves.

——————————
thanks for your email.I am so sorry for the problem you have encountered.

The problem you encountered is rather strange.

Because the SU6 design is like this, the XMOS output I2S is processed by the FPGA. The FPGA directly outputs I2S, and the FPGA is synthesized into SPDIF and then output.

your I2S has a problem, but SPDIF has no problem.the i2s data all come from the XMOS.

When I2S has a problem, it can be solved by plugging and unplugging USB.This is where we don't understand.

We analyzed it, probably it might be the following reasons:

1.There is a problem with the HDMI socket, it may be poor contact;You can use ethanol to wipe the pins in HDMI.

2.the su-6's I2s is not compatible with your DAC.can you show me a picture about your su-6's DIP SW's setting? Or you can find another DAC to try again.

We are suspicious of audio-gd I2S compatibility.

3.I2S output circuit has a problem.but SU-6 has two hdmi-i2s out.The probability of problems with both circuits is very low.If there is a problem here, you need to send it back for repair.

another thing,could you show me more about your system.Connection between devices.We can't visit Google's video.

————————-

Some replying to do tonight!

Aug 16, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #113 of 1,018
Just got a reply from Singxer themselves.

——————————
thanks for your email.I am so sorry for the problem you have encountered.

The problem you encountered is rather strange.

Because the SU6 design is like this, the XMOS output I2S is processed by the FPGA. The FPGA directly outputs I2S, and the FPGA is synthesized into SPDIF and then output.

your I2S has a problem, but SPDIF has no problem.the i2s data all come from the XMOS.

When I2S has a problem, it can be solved by plugging and unplugging USB.This is where we don't understand.

We analyzed it, probably it might be the following reasons:

1.There is a problem with the HDMI socket, it may be poor contact;You can use ethanol to wipe the pins in HDMI.

2.the su-6's I2s is not compatible with your DAC.can you show me a picture about your su-6's DIP SW's setting? Or you can find another DAC to try again.

We are suspicious of audio-gd I2S compatibility.

3.I2S output circuit has a problem.but SU-6 has two hdmi-i2s out.The probability of problems with both circuits is very low.If there is a problem here, you need to send it back for repair.

another thing,could you show me more about your system.Connection between devices.We can't visit Google's video.

————————-

Some replying to do tonight!

My guess there are at least hundreds (probably thousands) of users successfully using SU-1's with Audio-GD gear, personally I have used SU-1 with 3 different GD DAC's so can scratch that one off the list..

Good Luck!

Aug 23, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #116 of 1,018
How does using this connecting a pc and dac compare to using a network streamer over ethernet (like sotm 200 ultra) in terms of audio quality?

Aug 27, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #118 of 1,018
Hi guys I have a SU-1 from about early 2017 so I assume it was one of the original versions. I was curious about the difference of the SU-6 and was shocked to hear mention of an "upgraded SU-1". Would someone mind to enlighten me on what the upgrade is? After much testing I've settled on the combination of iFi iPurifier 2 into the SU-1, but that would be interesting to see what a further improved SU-1 would be like without the need for a series of 1-3 decrapifiers / DDCs (I've also tried it with the Wyrd in the chain with it too). I likely won't need any isolated power though because I'm already using the top Furman IT Reference power conditioner into my whole system. Thanks!

Aug 27, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #119 of 1,018
Hi guys I have a SU-1 from about early 2017 so I assume it was one of the original versions. I was curious about the difference of the SU-6 and was shocked to hear mention of an "upgraded SU-1". Would someone mind to enlighten me on what the upgrade is? After much testing I've settled on the combination of iFi iPurifier 2 into the SU-1, but that would be interesting to see what a further improved SU-1 would be like without the need for a series of 1-3 decrapifiers / DDCs (I've also tried it with the Wyrd in the chain with it too). I likely won't need any isolated power though because I'm already using the top Furman IT Reference power conditioner into my whole system. Thanks!
Just save up for a SU-6, it's better than going for all those tweaks and mods.

Aug 27, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #120 of 1,018
Hi Baten thanks for your advice. Would you mind to describe why? Is the SU-6 significantly better than even a modded SU-1, or are the mods too difficult? For any soldering though I would have to pay for a shop. And if a large part of the improvement comes from a power conditioner I've already got that squared away with my external one it's plugged into, so not sure if the mods would still be helpful or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back