Singxer SU-6
Aug 27, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #121 of 1,010
Hi Baten thanks for your advice. Would you mind to describe why? Is the SU-6 significantly better than even a modded SU-1, or are the mods too difficult? For any soldering though I would have to pay for a shop. And if a large part of the improvement comes from a power conditioner I've already got that squared away with my external one it's plugged into, so not sure if the mods would still be helpful or not.
I have a regenerative mains power supply and in my system using a separate 5v input into the SU1 was a big improvement over using the stock mains power using the regeneration.... Ghent Audio sells a plug in adapter... but I would only do this if you already have a very good 5v source such as Uptone LPS1.2. Alternative to SU6 is the Gustard U16... check the HF thread carefully if your dac is compatible and if you think the difference is in the direction you would like to go...

Aug 27, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #122 of 1,010
Hi Baten thanks for your advice. Would you mind to describe why? Is the SU-6 significantly better than even a modded SU-1, or are the mods too difficult? For any soldering though I would have to pay for a shop. And if a large part of the improvement comes from a power conditioner I've already got that squared away with my external one it's plugged into, so not sure if the mods would still be helpful or not.
The SU-6 is at least as good as a fully modded SU-1, hence I don't really feel the need recommending the SU-1 anymore. SU-6 = ready made full upgrade with super capacitors. It's a great product if you need a DDC. Sure modding is fun, but now that SU-6 is out why bother ..

Aug 28, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #123 of 1,010
Hi guys thanks for last time. I'm finally getting time to go thru the previous pages and what I'm seeing here peaks my interest in the SU-6. It's surprising there seeems to be widespread acclaim of it's improvement over the SU-1 because I was already quite astonished at what a huge different the SU-1 made with my Modi 2 Multibit DAC, basically as big as upgrading the DAC itself... the notion of the SU-6 making yet another tremendous improvement into a DAC seems remarkable, almost mysterious.

I'm curious about two main things: First about upper frequencies. I'm moderately treble sensitive (slight tinnitus), so are the highs presented in a harsh way, or more more velvety like previously described here, so doesn't add any extra listening fatigue?

Secondly, since it's the role of the DAC to do all the heavy lifting of converting the digital signal to audio, it makes me wonder if the use of an ultra top-flight / resolving DDC like the SU-6 also with a top-flight DAC may be overkill. If I were to buy a top DAC such as Lampizator, Chord Hugo 2 or Yggdrasil 2, would anyone say the ultra detailed / impactful even bright charactor of both DDC and perhaps the DAC as well would result in too much of a good thing, to the point of being 'overbaked'? Would anyone say my suspicions are warranted, or does this DDC seem to synergise with an ultra high-end DAC as well as improving a mid-fi one?

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #124 of 1,010
Hi guys thanks for last time. I'm finally getting time to go thru the previous pages and what I'm seeing here peaks my interest in the SU-6. It's surprising there seeems to be widespread acclaim of it's improvement over the SU-1 because I was already quite astonished at what a huge different the SU-1 made with my Modi 2 Multibit DAC, basically as big as upgrading the DAC itself... the notion of the SU-6 making yet another tremendous improvement into a DAC seems remarkable, almost mysterious.

I'm curious about two main things: First about upper frequencies. I'm moderately treble sensitive (slight tinnitus), so are the highs presented in a harsh way, or more more velvety like previously described here, so doesn't add any extra listening fatigue?

Secondly, since it's the role of the DAC to do all the heavy lifting of converting the digital signal to audio, it makes me wonder if the use of an ultra top-flight / resolving DDC like the SU-6 also with a top-flight DAC may be overkill. If I were to buy a top DAC such as Lampizator, Chord Hugo 2 or Yggdrasil 2, would anyone say the ultra detailed / impactful even bright charactor of both DDC and perhaps the DAC as well would result in too much of a good thing, to the point of being 'overbaked'? Would anyone say my suspicions are warranted, or does this DDC seem to synergise with an ultra high-end DAC as well as improving a mid-fi one?

All reviews point to the sound signature being natural & not harsh or digital.
This would be a positive if going for a bright DAC like the Hugo 2 or the Yggdrasil.

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #125 of 1,010
Thanks for the above, but I wasn't necessarily saying the SU-6 is harsh or digital. From previous pages I read it's very detailed, good separation, impact, bass definition and somewhat bright. This could be just what a mid-fi DAC needs to really make it sing. I was moreso asking if this were paired with a top-end DAC that's already the former signature in general, would the sound essentially become too bright, clinical, dynamic, etc. to the point of fatiguing. I wouldn't necessarily expect that, and a natural sound would be great but just confirming to be on the safe side. Has as anyone here paired it with a flagship DAC such as perhaps Chord Hugo TT 2, Dave, Holo Spring Lvl. 3, etc.?

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #126 of 1,010

Highs are presented in a more natural way - not harsh, reduces listening fatigue. I use it with a Yggdrasil 2 and it is not too bright. It works very well, providing added detail naturally. I must say I do not understand how or why it works better if it is a dd, but to my ears, it does!

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #127 of 1,010
Btw, I had a long series of exchanges with Shenzhen Audio for the past 2 weeks due to some random muffled sound problem with my SU-6. Although many emails, I'm happy that they have been very responsive so far. I copied and paste below one of my emails that more or less describes the problem. Basically, I discovered this when random PC boot ups produced this muffled sound. After a reboot or 2, or 3, it will be ok. In the exchanges with them, I have gone through the steps in my above post with numerous installing/uninstalling multiple versions because those versions mentioned were all not in the download folder. Finally, only to find that my unit is already on FW v2.21 haha... I did reflash 2.21 but the problem is still there.

In my test described below, I just unplug/plug the USB cable to simulate "new" connection. I hope I'm right about the HDMI of my unit. Now they have diverted me to Singxer directly... awaiting their response.

I just saw Singxer's website itself and v4.13 is there:

http://www.singxer.com/col.jsp?id=108

--------------------------------------------

I have recorded the video recorded from speakers. In the video, I unplug USB and plug in USB a few times. You can hear 2 of the times the music becomes total treble loss. There is also distortion at the 37-second point in the video until about 45 seconds. In the last time unplug USB and plug in USB, the music becomes clear again. Video in google drive below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jg_k82-jy6nuhVwBrY-gKO08J93xGuiY/view?usp=sharing

I have also done some testing. Below are the details:

1) Tested with another computer, another USB cable, another HDMI cable. All have same problem. So this proves that it is not the computer or cable problem.

2) Tested with coaxial cable + HDMI cable connected at the same time. This means I can switch to HDMI mode or coaxial mode when music is playing. So I do this:
  • Listen HDMI, switch to listen coaxial. Both ok.
  • Unplug and plug in USB.
  • Listen HDMI, switch to listen coaxial. Both ok.
  • Listen HDMI, switch to listen coaxial. HDMI is muffled, but coaxial is ok.
  • Listen HDMI, switch to listen coaxial. HDMI is ok again, coaxial is still ok.
  • Listen HDMI, switch to listen coaxial. HDMI is muffled again, coaxial is still ok.
  • Repeat few times.... HDMI sometimes ok, sometimes muffled. Coaxial is ok every time.
This proves there may be something wrong with HDMI.

3) Then I tested with SU-1 again with HDMI. Unplug/plug in/unplug/plug in USB many times. All no problem. This proves that my Audio-gd DAC HDMI input is ok. So this proves that there is something wrong with the SU-6 HDMI output.

@samuelboy i had the same or similar issue a few days ago with Audio GD R7 DAC. I was comparing SPDIF and HDMI I2S by switching inputs on the DAC. A few times I2S was muffled, distorted, and even low in volume. SPDIF was OK. The SU-6 drove both SPDIF and I2S.

I just concluded the DAC could not lock on external I2S after playing SPDIF. Hmm... I could get good audio by just changing inputs and returning to HDMi I2S. No restart needed. A few times took several tries. Will monitor, thanks!
Hey have either of you finally found a solution on the SU-6 occasional issue with I2S output?

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #128 of 1,010
Highs are presented in a more natural way - not harsh, reduces listening fatigue. I use it with a Yggdrasil 2 and it is not too bright. It works very well, providing added detail naturally. I must say I do not understand how or why it works better if it is a dd, but to my ears, it does!
Awesome thanks. Wow this SU-6 does seem to work some magic that's hard to explain, especially by being able to yield even better sound / detail with the Yggdrasil 2 - considering the amazing level of detail already from even the Yggy 1 without a DDC. Sometimes a double dose isn't too much of a good thing. I'll take your word for it. Thanks. And another plus is the multiple outputs can allow you to roll in the preferred sound signature from it to your DAC (providing both SU-6 and DAC have more than one common connection type to compare between).

Aug 31, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #131 of 1,010
Still burning in my SU-6 but it seems to have started to settle in now. Huge upgrade for me compared to my previous DDC.

Pairs well with the Audio-gd Master 7 that I bought more than 5 years ago. In fact this is the sound that I was hoping for back then. Thank goodness the M7 was built for I2S otherwise I would never have arrived here.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #133 of 1,010
32 days of 24 hour a day solid music and movie play and this SU-6 is still breaking in. Possibly the super capacitor takes a long time.

Not sure if you have to play music to actually burn this unit in as it is always on, but I'm still doing it that way.

Sep 7, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #134 of 1,010
You’re better than me in breaking it in. I’ve played it a few hours a day, on and off, and thought it sounded pretty good. Now that a 10 days new Gustard X-26 has joined the setup, the break-in started over again.

Sep 7, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #135 of 1,010
You’re better than me in breaking it in. I’ve played it a few hours a day, on and off, and thought it sounded pretty good. Now that a 10 days new Gustard X-26 has joined the setup, the break-in started over again.

It feels like a never ending loop sometimes.

The X26 looks interesting. I2S also, very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back