Singxer SU-2
May 19, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #167 of 215
Below is a simplified diagram of how a LVDS receiver can be used to clean up semi-sinusodial signals.
SU2 appears to be using a slightly modified circuit with additional filtering for noise
lvds-1.png
The voltage at the junction of R1 and R2 is the trigger threshold.
If this voltage changes the duty cycle of the output changes.
This is reflected as a phase change in the complex or s-domain.
Integrated over time, this forms the basis of the phase noise number.

Variations in supply voltage will thus show up as a component of phase noise at the output.
SU2 did not take any additional precautions beyond passive filtering.
I was expecting something better like its own dedicated low noise LDO for this function.

This converter was added as a convenience feature to allow external 10MHz input.
Here is the output of the circuit.
Note the rise time are pretty quick as the input is mostly squarewave in the example
Situation is less ideal with SU2
-FIN1002 specs rise time at 1ns, 10MHz sinewave risetime is 10ns.
-FIN1002 is not operating with optimal input
lvds-2.png

Additional info here
https://www.ti.com/lit/an/slyt180/slyt180.pdf?ts=1682727261775
Today I cut the 3.3V power trace of FIN1002 circuits, then add LT3045 3.3V regulator on filtered 5V and power the FIN1002 circuit, the sound quality is improved again!

Jul 3, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #168 of 215
keep it simpel
panasonic-fc 220uf 25 volts sits in singxer su2 as standard
I have replaced the Panasonic SEPG OS-CON 270uf 16volt
then disconnected the power supply
buy this from https://www.ghentaudio.com/products/dc99?VariantsId=14108,14114,14110
used ifi ipower x 5volt connected to , works as well, used superCapacitors
then used external 10mhz clock from cybershaft
it sounds really good
better bass and midrange, as well as a treble that is soft in sound.
i buy later ifi ixpower elite with much more less noise

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #172 of 215
@fmzip, board level mods, will need techs familiar with SMD rework to do this one.
Part availability is becoming an issue due to the shortages in the industry.
@b0bb , found the IL711S in my desk today, totally forgot about this post! Thought to check to see if those TI TPS7A20 were in stock which they weren't back in 2021 when you posted this. They are.....

So I think I will do this mod and the Crysteks as suggested on my Kitsune SU-2. I don't recall, do I need an adapter board for this crystal? ITwisted Paer no longer carries the Rhea board from what I see. Do you have a link to one? Are you still using the SU-2/SU/6/LKS DAC or have you moved on to something else?

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #173 of 215
Nov 23, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #175 of 215
@b0bb , found the IL711S in my desk today, totally forgot about this post! Thought to check to see if those TI TPS7A20 were in stock which they weren't back in 2021 when you posted this. They are.....

So I think I will do this mod and the Crysteks as suggested on my Kitsune SU-2. I don't recall, do I need an adapter board for this crystal? ITwisted Paer no longer carries the Rhea board from what I see. Do you have a link to one? Are you still using the SU-2/SU/6/LKS DAC or have you moved on to something else?
The IL711S is a worthwhile improvement as the isolator does not use a high frequency carrier for the data, less noise injection into the clean side.
Less likely to aggravate the 9038Pro in the LKS

Try the link below for the XO SMT adaptor, not as good as Rhea, they are a little bit wider.
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/comp...rs-brackets-for-xo-clocks-set-x5-p-17063.html
17063-ian-canada-smt-xo-inpage1.jpg

The LKS + SU2 is still being used, SU6 is a spare. I have not found anything that can replace it at the moment and not for the lack of trying.
I also have the SMSL D300 with the Rohm BD34301EKV running in DSD direct mode. This is one of a handful of DACs that allows complete bypass of the internal DSP processing, digital filtering done externally via HQPlayer. It comes close to the LKS

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #176 of 215
I have both the SU2 and SU6.
The SU2's power supply holds it back, stock dynamics is muddy presentation lacks focus.
Soundstage is very narrow in stock form.
Add a supercap supply and this improves dramatically.

I did a mod with a small LTC4425 supercap demo board on the SU2, the changes were substantial enough to push the SU6 into the role as a spare.

SU6 is competant but the Xmos USB interface used there is getting old.
Singxer has not followed up with a replacement.
SU2 replaces SU1 lower down in the food chain

Nov 24, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #177 of 215
I have both the SU2 and SU6.
The SU2's power supply holds it back, stock dynamics is muddy presentation lacks focus.
Soundstage is very narrow in stock form.
Add a supercap supply and this improves dramatically.

I did a mod with a small LTC4425 supercap demo board on the SU2, the changes were substantial enough to push the SU6 into the role as a spare.

SU6 is competant but the Xmos USB interface used there is getting old.
Singxer has not followed up with a replacement.
SU2 replaces SU1 lower down in the food chain
Hey B0bb,

whitch supercap demo board did you use ? Analog Devices ? nice to hear from you again :wink:

Nov 24, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #178 of 215
Hey B0bb,

whitch supercap demo board did you use ? Analog Devices ? nice to hear from you again :wink:
It is from Analog Devices.
Mouser sells it: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Analog-Devices/DC1589A?qs=ytflclh7QUVER2OaQD/T0A==

It comes with a 1.2F supercap, quite adequate for the job.

The onboard 1A regulator is a bottleneck, it should be replaced with something that can supply larger currents to cope with the current charging spikes from the supercap
Replaced mine with a 3A unit from Belleson, it has very quick current delivery.
Upgraded diode rectifier to 8A schottkys for the same reason.
Removed transformer, my SU2 is using DC input from Sotm SPS-500 supply.

I experimented with the 15F caps leftover from my SU6 mod, minor incremental improvement.

Nov 28, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #179 of 215
The IL711S is a worthwhile improvement as the isolator does not use a high frequency carrier for the data, less noise injection into the clean side.
Less likely to aggravate the 9038Pro in the LKS

Try the link below for the XO SMT adaptor, not as good as Rhea, they are a little bit wider.
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/comp...rs-brackets-for-xo-clocks-set-x5-p-17063.html
17063-ian-canada-smt-xo-inpage1.jpg

The LKS + SU2 is still being used, SU6 is a spare. I have not found anything that can replace it at the moment and not for the lack of trying.
I also have the SMSL D300 with the Rohm BD34301EKV running in DSD direct mode. This is one of a handful of DACs that allows complete bypass of the internal DSP processing, digital filtering done externally via HQPlayer. It comes close to the LKS
Thanks Bob, I received these today. The board didn't come with any instructions on mounting the resistors. Can you tell me if my assumption is correct on the attached images please?
IMG_5669.jpg
IMG_5670.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back