Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Jan 23, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #1,786 of 2,563
But I saw plenty of reviews that mention that the Burson Soloist 3x performance would be a whole other beast. Especially when it comes to soundstage

Burson I believe definitely has wider soundstage then SA-1.
Actually, quite opposite. The Singxer SA-1 has wider soundstage than the Burson Soloist, although the Soloist has more depth and layering to the front, a hair more detail, and a more analytical sound albeit very dynamic. The Singxer SA-1 is smoother and a bit richer but not far behind in terms of detail. IDK, I wasn't impressed by the Soloist, especially given the price. Frankly, I had a hard time trying to distinguish it from my THX 789... Yes, there is a difference, layering, depth, dynamics and what not but... not so that I can justify the price.

Jan 23, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #1,787 of 2,563
Actually, quite opposite. The Singxer SA-1 has wider soundstage than the Burson Soloist, although the Soloist has more depth and layering to the front, a hair more detail, and a more analytical sound albeit very dynamic. The Singxer SA-1 is smoother and a bit richer but not far behind in terms of detail. IDK, I wasn't impressed by the Soloist, especially given the price. Frankly, I had a hard time trying to distinguish it from my THX 789... Yes, there is a difference, layering, depth, dynamics and what not but... not so that I can justify the price.

Some people say the Singxer SA1 doesn't sound that much better than a Smsl ho200 or a Schiit Magnius.

Or headphones.. they don't hear much of a difference from a iPad Vs a headphone amp. No difference between balanced and unbalanced.

Yet other people are blown away by the difference.

So often I'm torn between is one person blowing the difference out of proportion or is the other person just not able/willing to afford something better?

So I guess I have just go compare it myself 😉

The Burson is expensive and probably not that much better than something cheaper but it looks like a quality product. Expect the Singxer most of the topping and Smsl China amps just don't look that good to me. And seem to have their issues.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #1,788 of 2,563

hey thanks... just read review from Passion for sound he agrees with you... might have to get that Soloist again from my friend and listen to it again but little disapointed so far with SA-1, only had it on for less than 60 hours but hasn't got much better... actually it got a little warmer with more bass than when I first got it... soundstage has also widened a little but still too narrow & shallow for my liking...

The Burson is expensive and probably not that much better than something cheaper but it looks like a quality product. Expect the Singxer most of the topping and Smsl China amps just don't look that good to me. And seem to have their issues.

It indded is well made, at least for amp itself can't say same for the remote control.. actually Singxer, Topping and SMSL are very well made and personally like these flick switch over button switch..

Anyway my quest for value for money headphone amp probably ends here for sometime.....

Have ordered Sparkos Aries instead to compliment my main amp.... but was fun journey nevertheless

Jan 25, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #1,789 of 2,563
Singxer? I haven't had any issues with yet. Seems well made.
Topping? This likely the worst brand out there. Topping is made like garbage and that is an insult to garbage.
SMSL? Not the best, but not the worst. My SP200 suffers from a poor quality 1/4 inch headphone jack, but everything else seems good.

Jan 25, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #1,790 of 2,563
Yeah, I've never heard a good thing about Topping build quality.

SMSL, I don't recall ever hearing anything about their build quality, one way or the other. I guess in this case, no news is probably good news.

But yeah, no, Topping has a horrible reputation as far as build quality.

Jan 25, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #1,791 of 2,563
Some people say the Singxer SA1 doesn't sound that much better than a Smsl ho200 or a Schiit Magnius.

Or headphones.. they don't hear much of a difference from a iPad Vs a headphone amp. No difference between balanced and unbalanced.

Yet other people are blown away by the difference.

So often I'm torn between is one person blowing the difference out of proportion or is the other person just not able/willing to afford something better?

So I guess I have just go compare it myself 😉

Now take this for what it's worth as I am still getting around to getting my Singxer. I do have a lower Burson, the playmate 2 and while I do like it, I have found that throwing a set of SparkOS opamps in it made it so much better! I love it now, and probably the only reason I have held of a bit on the Singxer!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 26, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #1,792 of 2,563
Any recommendations for a higher watt sound signature SA-1?

This amp is phenomenal on my Diana Abyss V2 but it requires me to be at 2/3 volume which I'm not a huge fan of.

Jan 26, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #1,793 of 2,563

This amp is phenomenal on my Diana Abyss V2 but it requires me to be at 2/3 volume which I'm not a huge fan of.
The volume pot on this is not linear, most of the power is in that last 1/4 bit. Don't be afraid to max it out, it doesn't mean you need more power.

Jan 27, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #1,796 of 2,563
I have no issue with the hifiman he6se although I do have the volume knob quite high & high gain also. Depends on how high you like to listen really, there is a feeling that if you really wanted to max out you might run out of steam, but it would be far beyond comfortable listening for me..

Jan 27, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #1,797 of 2,563
I mean, I rock my AKG Sextett on my Singxer all the time. I balanced-modded my Sextett and I have to crank the volume up around 2 or 3 o'clock, but the Singxer can do it justice.

Jan 28, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #1,798 of 2,563
hey thanks... just read review from Passion for sound he agrees with you... might have to get that Soloist again from my friend and listen to it again but little disapointed so far with SA-1, only had it on for less than 60 hours but hasn't got much better... actually it got a little warmer with more bass than when I first got it... soundstage has also widened a little but still too narrow & shallow for my liking...

It indded is well made, at least for amp itself can't say same for the remote control.. actually Singxer, Topping and SMSL are very well made and personally like these flick switch over button switch..

Anyway my quest for value for money headphone amp probably ends here for sometime.....

Have ordered Sparkos Aries instead to compliment my main amp.... but was fun journey nevertheless

I'd recommend Jot2 if you are looking for a bit more of an engaging bottom end and some SET warmth. It's warmish, but the detail still shines through.

Jan 29, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #1,799 of 2,563

Your Dac should be able to push 4or 5 volt to Singxer. Which is means, in this case Singxer is a really powerful amp, and will produce more power needed for Diana V2.

Non-linear volume control (which is great for IEM or sensitive headphone) make listening volume may around 1-3 o'clock for Diana V2 (if you like to listen loud), but actually Singxer still have plenty power left.

Jan 29, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #1,800 of 2,563
Does anyone have a recommendation for a worthwhile upgrade to the Singxer with similar characteristics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back