Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Feb 7, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #1,816 of 2,563
Thank you. And Volume at 0dB?
0db is ok, just be sure to always lower it if your meters say your clipping…the EQ can sometimes boost the signal into clipping, i like to add some low end, so when i do i have to bring the volume down a bit.

Feb 7, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #1,817 of 2,563
Have you tried the DC jumper mod? With my unit, after trying the mod, the amp sounds rather dull (comparatively) without it. The treble gets more prominent and the overall sound is livelier. It still retains its smoothness but just gets a pinch or two more neutral.
I didnt try it yet, dont want to wipe the warranty

Feb 10, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #1,819 of 2,563
I'm running my headphones on Hi gain at ~11 a clock and on Low gain at ~3 a clock. Do you recommend to stay on Hi gain or it is worth to switch to Low gain? If it makes any sense at all.. Thank you.
High gain should increase the noise floor. But as long as you are not using IEMs that's probably not going to be a issue

Im running my SA1 in high gain as well. Even though I could run both my headphones in low gain.

Feb 10, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #1,821 of 2,563
I'm running my headphones on Hi gain at ~11 a clock and on Low gain at ~3 a clock. Do you recommend to stay on Hi gain or it is worth to switch to Low gain? If it makes any sense at all.. Thank you.
I tested both gain options on different cans (Rögnir, Atticus, Aeolus, Verum, Sundara) and for me the high gain option sounds much livelier and more dynamic. On low gain it feels more laid back, which I don't prefer that much for my music preferences. Family members have reported similar experiences. In that respect, I would rather go for a preferred signature, since there should be enough headroom even at 3 o'clock.

Feb 14, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #1,822 of 2,563
Dear confused SA-1 owners. The reason we have so much range in the volume knob is that even on high gain there is only 11db gain. Other amps like the A90 or Schiit Jot2 amps have more of gain (15.5db, 18db), but do not confuse gain for power. Voltage is not current and current is not voltage (although linked at the hip). SA-1 is a powerful amp because it has lots of current on tap, do not be afraid to turn the knob to near max to get the volume you want. If you are still not getting enough gain please increase the gain of your source. Normally sources will be 2V for single or 4V for balanced but you can increase it as needed on some DACs like Chord products or if you just want to go super loud just get the A90 :laughing: The only headphone in my collection where I'm near the max are Susvaras for SA-1, for the others it's near 12 to 2pm depending on the music's dynamic range
some people have anxiety turning volume to max. The SA-1 has no issue at ALL.

Feb 14, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #1,823 of 2,563
Dear confused SA-1 owners. The reason we have so much range in the volume knob is that even on high gain there is only 11db gain. Other amps like the A90 or Schiit Jot2 amps have more of gain (15.5db, 18db), but do not confuse gain for power. Voltage is not current and current is not voltage (although linked at the hip). SA-1 is a powerful amp because it has lots of current on tap, do not be afraid to turn the knob to near max to get the volume you want. If you are still not getting enough gain please increase the gain of your source. Normally sources will be 2V for single or 4V for balanced but you can increase it as needed on some DACs like Chord products or if you just want to go super loud just get the A90 :laughing: The only headphone in my collection where I'm near the max are Susvaras for SA-1, for the others it's near 12 to 2pm depending on the music's dynamic range
To begin with, in one sentence he states, "just get the A90." If anyone is recommending a Topping product, I would be wary of following any of their advice. Topping is nothing more than poorly pieced together garbage.
Furthermore, sound quality wise, I would estimate that perhaps 90% of my headphone collection pair better with my Schiit Jotunheim 2 than my Singxer SA-1. Yes, magic can happen once you find synergy with the right headphone and the Singxer SA-1 such as with my Fostex T50RP, Fostex T60RP, Beyerdynamic DT770, Beyerdynamic DT880, Beyerdynamic DT990, Marantz MPH-2 clone, Sony MDR-CD780, M1570 and half of my Grados. However, the majority of the rest of my collection mostly favor pairing with the Schiit Jotunheim 2. Keep in mind that each headphone of my collection is under $1,200 and your mileage may vary on the summit-fi level headphones.
Design and features are similar but I prefer the Singxer SA-1 over the Jotunheim for the sealed design not needing vents and cool operation. The switch for speaker/headphone is nice. The main drawback for some but not me is the SA-1 gain switches being on the bottom. If you leave them on high like me it is not a problem.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #1,824 of 2,563
To begin with, in one sentence he states, "just get the A90." If anyone is recommending a Topping product, I would be wary of following any of their advice. Topping is nothing more than poorly pieced together garbage.
Furthermore, sound quality wise, I would estimate that perhaps 90% of my headphone collection pair better with my Schiit Jotunheim 2 than my Singxer SA-1. Yes, magic can happen once you find synergy with the right headphone and the Singxer SA-1 such as with my Fostex T60RP, Beyerdynamic DT770, Beyerdynamic DT880, Beyerdynamic DT990, Marantz MPH-2 clone, Sony MDR-CD780, M1570 and half of my Grados. However, the majority of the rest of my collection mostly favor pairing with the Schiit Jotunheim 2. Keep in mind that each headphone of my collection is under $1,200 and your mileage may vary on the summit-fi level headphones.
Design and features are similar but I prefer the Singxer SA-1 over the Jotunheim for the sealed design not needing vents and cool operation. The switch for speaker/headphone is nice. The main drawback for some but not me is the SA-1 gain switches being on the bottom. If you leave them on high like me it is not a problem.
Well said and I have to agree... The sound of a topping is not anything I want in my house, as far as Summit-Fi that does sometimes react strangely, on my new 2022 LCD-3F they actually sound is a bit harsh on my Oppo HA-1 which is crazy because both my DEKFEN Ananda and HD800 do not sound harsh on that because it's not a harsh amp, but do on the HDV 820! However the LCD-3F sounds smooth on the HDV 820 despite being harsh on the smooth Oppo!

I would take a Singxer DA-1 over a topping A90 any day! Which is doing a disservice because I would not take a Topping A90 or D90 at all unless I was explicitly allowed to sell them!

You also have to factor in the company's product literally fried a small number of people's headphones due to bad QC and instead of forking probably $10k or less to do the right thing they left them out in the cold knowing people like me would make that knowledge the final straw to know I will never, EVER, buy a topping product. I stand with the consumers who got screwed, and not with a company who refuses to take responsibility, any value that might be had there even if I loved the sound signature is offset by the worrying I would do wondering if I will get incur a heavy loss!

For others the sound signature and the admittedly very very small risk doesn't dissuade them and is superior to other brands, if that's you then good for you, but it's not for me.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #1,825 of 2,563
I did the jumper mod this morning and have been listening all day. Just want to report nothing has blown up or anything. I actually think I hear a slight improvement in transparency, but there's no way for me to A/B it. What a fantastic little amp this is, amazing for the price.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #1,826 of 2,563
It is unlikely that the noise is caused by overheating. It was very hot for me this summer. The amplifier was heating up very much, it was not comfortable to hold your hand (65 degrees or higher). There was no noise. If there is noise again, try plugging another amplifier into the same outlet. If the noise is repeated on another amplifier, it means that the problem is unstable electrical power supply of the network.
Any method to "stabilize" it ?

Feb 18, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #1,829 of 2,563
The heat is something I'm on the fence on. I know it shouldn't be a deciding factor but I live in a warm country and can't have it joining the dark side to further increase the warmth of my room XD
Mine does not get warm at all either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back