Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Apr 24, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #587 of 2,563
All these delta sigma dacs are indistinguishible in a blind test, but also unnecesarily overpriced, but they still have that digital sound inherent on that typology. If you look at the real expensive DACS, the Bartoks DCS of the world, the denafrips terminators, etc... ALL OF THEM, all, are R2R ladder, or FPFGA like Chord, or multibit. There is no high end, highly regarded delta sigma dac's out there. They all sound like broken glass.

I had the Luxman DA-06 for a few years in Japan but sold it when I left (incredibly dumb decision). As someone who was able to demo and own many many DACs, the DA-06 sounded distinctive. It's a DS dac using Burr-Bown. I had the opportunity to blnd-test it using my own amp, speakers, and source files, against my balanced TEAC dac (AK), the mystery 24/192 dac in my tube preamp, and my A&K player with Cirrus chips.
I could pick the Luxman out every single time - the other 3 were basically random-chance, though the dac in the preamp I did identify as the worse of the bunch more times than not.

Apr 25, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #589 of 2,563
Based on my recent listening experience, this Chinese-made class A ss amp is very musical-sounding (coming from a modern tube guy), and very dynamic! Using balanced headphone output, low gain, and low impedence settings, it wonderfully reproduces the acoustic piano (as played by Keiko Matsui on her "The Piano" CD), which the piano is usually very difficult to accurately reproduce, through my Focal Elex and ZMF Aeolus headphones!

The top end of this amp is mildly sweet, however, I noted that the treble area became slightly "bright" and eventually fatiguing (after 30+ minutes) when the SA-1 is set to high gain setting with the Focal Elex. (Yes, I'm aware that some readers have noted some brightness when listening to the Focal Flex.) So, the low gain setting is highly recommended for this wonderful amp for most headphones unless high gain is needed for difficult-to-drive headphones.

(BTW I'm currently using the original Bifrost MB DAC but I'm planning to get the new Bifrost 2 in order to have full balanced operation, let's see if the sound quality improves a bit.)

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #590 of 2,563
All these delta sigma dacs are indistinguishible in a blind test, but also unnecesarily overpriced, but they still have that digital sound inherent on that typology. If you look at the real expensive DACS, the Bartoks DCS of the world, the denafrips terminators, etc... ALL OF THEM, all, are R2R ladder, or FPFGA like Chord, or multibit. There is no high end, highly regarded delta sigma dac's out there. They all sound like broken glass.
Pretty sure Bricasti makes a delta sigma dac for one, as well as Auralic... and that’s just ones I know off the top of my head.
Although, in before those don’t qualify as high end, highly regarded or good sounding by some arbitrary logic, ignoring all their glowing reviews and user feedback... Though wether they sound indistinguishable I couldn’t say - but they certainly sound very good.

Apr 25, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #591 of 2,563
The Singxer SDA-6 Pro version looks like another good option. Wonder how it compares to the X26 pro and Ares 2? Now I don't give a monkeys about MQA it's an option.
I friend of mine sold his ares ii after getting x26pro. But he didn't like ares ii in first please

Apr 25, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #595 of 2,563
Hi all,

what is the preamp part of the Singxer worth?

and how does it heat up?

Thanks,
I only preamped my Geshelli Archel 2.5 Pro via XLR but it’s hard to judge as it’s only SE and I always listen balanced. It’s a great little amp but nowhere near as resolving and full as the SA-1.

It heats up nicely and stays warm - I just leave mine on all the time now. X26 Pro also gets very warm :)

Apr 25, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #599 of 2,563
This. One doesn’t need any more HPA than this. Upgrade your DAC, your headphones, or better yet, buy nice something for your wife or kids.
I'd spend all my money cheap-traveling everywhere, C:eye:vid killed my traveling-journey but music saved me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back