Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Apr 21, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #511 of 2,563
Mine just payed, ships friday hopefully, maybe saturday I get it, or next week. :wink:

Apr 21, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #512 of 2,563
I received my SA-1 yesterday and let it burn-in overnight. I highly doubt burn-in is complete, but I can already tell that this amp is a major step up from the other amp I currently own which is the Liquid Spark. I preferred my Liquid Spark slightly more than my SP200 THX amp, and I found the SP200 but be only slightly worse than my 789 (R.I.P.). This is to say, the SA-1 the best amp I've ever owned and I'm definitely glad I tried it. From memory, it seems just slightly less bright than Liquid Spark and THX amps, but I didn't do any a/b'ing. The midrange is full and detailed, which is unlike the sterile/anemic midrange on my THX amps, and is better detailed than Liquid Spark which is a little rough around the edges. I can confirm @Jay_vs comment that the LCD-X benefits from high gain on this amp. There is certainly enough volume on low gain, but it just sounds a touch underpowered. I ordered the volume knob suggested by @Voxata on page 2 of this thread, but it is 34mm in diameter and scratches the faceplate, so I ordered the equivalent 30mm knob from Amazon and should get it in a few days. I may post a pic once I confirm it fits correctly.
Have you tried to have that new 34mm knob moved a bit separated from the faceplate, and then tighten the set screw at the very tippy top of the pot axle?

Apr 21, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #513 of 2,563
Have you tried to have that new 34mm knob moved a bit separated from the faceplate, and then tighten the set screw at the very tippy top of the pot axle?
I actually did try that, and it looked funny to me. Probably would be ok functionally. If you get the knob closer to the faceplate where it looks better, there is an indentation on the axle that guides the knob right into the faceplate when you tighten the screw. I figured $9 for another knob should solve all the above issues. :wink:

Apr 21, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #515 of 2,563
I received my SA-1 yesterday and let it burn-in overnight. I highly doubt burn-in is complete, but I can already tell that this amp is a major step up from the other amp I currently own which is the Liquid Spark. I preferred my Liquid Spark slightly more than my SP200 THX amp, and I found the SP200 but be only slightly worse than my 789 (R.I.P.). This is to say, the SA-1 the best amp I've ever owned and I'm definitely glad I tried it. From memory, it seems just slightly less bright than Liquid Spark and THX amps, but I didn't do any a/b'ing. The midrange is full and detailed, which is unlike the sterile/anemic midrange on my THX amps, and is better detailed than Liquid Spark which is a little rough around the edges. I can confirm @Jay_vs comment that the LCD-X benefits from high gain on this amp. There is certainly enough volume on low gain, but it just sounds a touch underpowered. I ordered the volume knob suggested by @Voxata on page 2 of this thread, but it is 34mm in diameter and scratches the faceplate, so I ordered the equivalent 30mm knob from Amazon and should get it in a few days. I may post a pic once I confirm it fits correctly.
I also received my SA-1 this week on Monday. Still trying to let it burn-in more. I would agree with your findings so far. The mids do sound fuller and bit forward. I need to do some A/B with my THX AAA 789 amp as well to determine if there is any reason to keep but so far I am liking the SA-1 much more (albeit it does get more HOT vs the THX). This is chained to a SMSL SU-9 DAC > XLR > SA-1 > XLR to Focal Stellia.

Side note I am not finding any issues with the factory volume dial. Works perfectly fine for me. Sure it can be more longer but not enough of an issue for me to bother changing it. The bright blue led though I wished they used something less dramatic.

Apr 21, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #518 of 2,563
I actually did try that, and it looked funny to me. Probably would be ok functionally. If you get the knob closer to the faceplate where it looks better, there is an indentation on the axle that guides the knob right into the faceplate when you tighten the screw. I figured $9 for another knob should solve all the above issues. :wink:
I understand, maybe that set screw it's a problematic depth for that knob in this pot. I would like to install a 38mm knob at a certain time, but will try 30mm first I guess.

Apr 22, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #520 of 2,563
So I'm finding the sound is changing. Sadly not for the better. it's getting so bright and fatiguing. The low end has kinda reduced as well. Hoping this is just a phase until it settles down, but right now I'm not enjoying it at all.

Do you have another amp to A/B compare to make certain it's the SA-1 and not some other factor?

Apr 22, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #522 of 2,563
I understand, maybe that set screw it's a problematic depth for that knob in this pot. I would like to install a 38mm knob at a certain time, but will try 30mm first I guess.
Keep in mind that this is the first time I've ever tried replacing a volume knob, so I'm a noob and it is possible that the specific knob I ordered acts that way and is not representative of other knobs. And if you don't mind a gap of several mm between faceplate and knob, then you could probably install any size knob you wish.

@kdub - Normally I don't worry about things like volume knobs, but with this specific amp, I find that, since the pot is heavy-duty and requires more force to turn, that the stock knob is too shallow and too slippery for me.

Apr 22, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #523 of 2,563
So I'm finding the sound is changing. Sadly not for the better. it's getting so bright and fatiguing. The low end has kinda reduced as well. Hoping this is just a phase until it settles down, but right now I'm not enjoying it at all.
What dac are you using? Many people will argue DACs matter, and I’m starting to believe it myself, I use a RME ADI 2 DAC and I’ve heard people describe it as cold...and this may be true considering that’s it’s designed for accuracy. I’m now considering one of the denefrips dacs to find out for myself.

Apr 22, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #524 of 2,563
Keep in mind that this is the first time I've ever tried replacing a volume knob, so I'm a noob and it is possible that the specific knob I ordered acts that way and is not representative of other knobs. And if you don't mind a gap of several mm between faceplate and knob, then you could probably install any size knob you wish.

@kdub - Normally I don't worry about things like volume knobs, but with this specific amp, I find that, since the pot is heavy-duty and requires more force to turn, that the stock knob is too shallow and too slippery for me.
I do agree that the friction of turning with this knob is more stiff vs my existing THX AA 789 which require very little effort and also had a bigger knob. I do have to pinch a bit when turning the SA-1 knob but maybe with my smaller hands its not an issue for me.

Apr 22, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #525 of 2,563
those amps have a very tiny potentiometer, that is why they are so smooth. This singer has a balanced pot, so 4 elements on it. It is a very big pot, like schiit jot2 pot, that is why it feels tighter to turn, but that is a good thing, most people we prefer it like that, good hifi pots are like that. But, they should also have a porper big knob. Jot2 has proper knob in size, this one has a very decent compact knob, better than a90, but similar flat style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back