Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Apr 17, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #466 of 2,563
I wonder if one can really notice any difference between X16, D90, Bifrost 2 against the X26 Pro, I'd instantly sell my X16 and BF2 if so....
It’s taken me a little while but I feel like I “know” some particular tracks very well that have left me going “wow” due to the wonderful channel separation and airiness a magnet planar provides. I’m hoping I can get more of that, slightly more easily on tap, and actually perceive it. Maybe I’m dreaming but if I don’t lose anything and do gain anywhere close to what I’m expecting, that would be nice.

Also, do you mind commenting on the Aryas paired with this amp? There are a lot of nice cans in the $1200-1500 USD range and I guess I’d feel silly for not considering them as a step up, but I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t been visiting ZMFs page quite a lot. I game a lot and am now really quite happy with the detail my Elegias provide for that particular use case, so looking for something very musical and effortless, much less “in your face” than the Focals are known to be. I would also say that they are.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #467 of 2,563
It’s taken me a little while but I feel like I “know” some particular tracks very well that have left me going “wow” due to the wonderful channel separation and airiness a magnet planar provides. I’m hoping I can get more of that, slightly more easily on tap, and actually perceive it. Maybe I’m dreaming but if I don’t lose anything and do gain anywhere close to what I’m expecting, that would be nice.

Also, do you mind commenting on the Aryas paired with this amp? There are a lot of nice cans in the $1200-1500 USD range and I guess I’d feel silly for not considering them as a step up, but I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t been visiting ZMFs page quite a lot. I game a lot and am now really quite happy with the detail my Elegias provide for that particular use case, so looking for something very musical and effortless, much less “in your face” than the Focals are known to be. I would also say that they are.
SA-1 is close to A90 but SA-1 is superior in presentation, really engaging. Arya sound is crystal clear with it, really sharp and detailed, sharper than Jotunheim 2 I'd say, specially high frequencies.

SA-1 is never going to disappoint I'm sure about it.

I also have a Clear and I don't really mind the "in your face" thing, I have developed several DSP profiles depending on what I'm listening and Clear sounds like a pair of HQ speakers in front of you, same feeling everytime I use then, I forget I'm wearing HPs.

Apr 17, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #468 of 2,563
SA-1 is close to A90 but SA-1 is superior in presentation, really engaging. Arya sound is crystal clear with it, really sharp and detailed, sharper than Jotunheim 2 I'd say, specially high frequencies.

SA-1 is never going to disappoint I'm sure about it.

I also have a Clear and I don't really mind the "in your face" thing, I have developed several DSP profiles depending on what I'm listening and Clear sounds like a pair of HQ speakers in front of you, same feeling everytime I use then, I forget I'm wearing HPs.
Thank you.
How do the Aryas compare to the Clears? There are a few of the new Mg version, both non and Pro versions for sale in Canada - have been tempted.

Apr 17, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #469 of 2,563
Thank you.
How do the Aryas compare to the Clears? There are a few of the new Mg version, both non and Pro versions for sale in Canada - have been tempted.
I have the original Clear Pro, haven't had the chance to try the new Mg. Mg's are supposed to be superior due to the use of magnesium instead of aluminum but not really sure about that because in this hobby the: "it's better than" is subjective and relative

They are total different HPs, Arya presentation allows you to place yourself a few meters away from where the music is playing while Clear is more intimate in that aspect, like in front of the musicians. Both are amazing tho.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #470 of 2,563
I have the original Clear Pro, haven't had the chance to try the new Mg. Mg's are supposed to be superior due to the use of magnesium instead of aluminum but not really sure about that because in this hobby the: "it's better than" is subjective and relative

They are total different HPs, Arya presentation allows you to place yourself a few meters away from where the music is playing while Clear is more intimate in that aspect, like in front of the musicians. Both are amazing tho.
Thanks Jose! Ever heard a set of GL2000s by any chance?

Apr 17, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #471 of 2,563
I have and compared to the Arya, initially they sound more impressive, but after your ears adjust to both sets (usually somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes for me) you understand that the Arya is the clear winner here...the gl2000 has a very neat and precise playback, but there’s no life, the Arya has that naturalness, that life, and the bass capabilities. The gl2000 isn’t good with bass at all in my opinion, it’s flat. It’s a good amount but just flat with no punch, Arya is really a good set, and he’s being very accurate when he says the clear sounds like a good set of speakers.

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #472 of 2,563
I´m really interested on that test comparisson, since I have the E30, which repalced a khadas tone board, and I am looking into getting an r2r dac, and ARES2 is the current candidate.
I got around to A/B'ing the E30 and the Ares II. The chain was Windows 10 PC Amazon Music HD app ->Ares II (OS)/E30 (both via USB) ->SA-1 (E30 via RCA and Ares II via XLR) -> Arya. The SA-1 was set to Low Z/low gain and the volume pot was at 2'o clock, which is my comfortable listening level. Amazon Music was set to exclusive mode, which gives direct control of sound to the app by bypassing OS level control. While listening to tracks that emphasize various frequencies, I toggled between E30 and Ares II by using the switch in the front. The process of switching the DAC source on the PC then flipping the switch on the SA-1 was less than a second process. Between the two inputs, there wasn't an obvious volume difference.

Being able to switch the DAC source this quickly, the sound difference between the E30 and Ares II is pretty dramatic and it would be hard to believe that anyone with healthy hearing wouldn't be able to notice. With regard to the sound, the E30 sounds slightly V shaped relative to the Ares II. The bass impact feels more noticeable and the treble is definitely hotter. Furthermore, the E30 sounds more compressed and the sound has a more noticeable "edge" to them.

The Ares II in comparison sounds clearly warmer with mid frequencies being more audible and the treble being tamed without sounding rolled off or losing detail. The sound from Ares II had less of that "edge" heard in the E30 and therefore sounded smoother overall. Because of this smoothing effect, the drum hits feel less punchy. The Ares II also sounds less compressed and more dynamic (I mean dynamic range), which imparts a sense of better spacing. Interestingly, the sound stage didn't seem to change much. Overall, the Ares II sound is warmer, softer, and feels more sophisticated due to better dynamic range.

This was actually a uh,.,,,ear-opening experience. I went into this biased that there will be a negligible difference, thereby confirming my initial impression. But with the benefit of A/B'ing directly and perhaps with a more revealing headphone (my initial impression of was made mostly with Sundara and HD6XX), the difference is dramatic. Keep in mind that by no means the E30 is a bad DAC and I can see E30 performing better than Ares II with certain genres/setups. The differences I noted here are relative to the two DACs.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #473 of 2,563
For all those interested in my knob, and their own knobs, here are the details.
The SA-1 uses the traditional oldschool 6mm post - there are literally millions of knobs that will work on it. SA-1's knob is 30mm diameter and attached with a 1.5mm allen capture screw. The Topping DX7 knob, for comparison, is also a solid aluminum knob, 34mm in diameter; however, it's attached by pressure/adhesive. On another forum a rep from Topping said you will almost definitely damage the pot pulling it off. With the Singxer, it's no problem:

IMG_20210418_094634.jpg
IMG_20210418_094640.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #474 of 2,563
The SA-1 uses the traditional oldschool 6mm post - there are literally millions of knobs that will work on it. SA-1's knob is 30mm diameter and attached with a 1.5mm allen capture screw. The Topping DX7 knob, for comparison, is also a solid aluminum knob, 34mm in diameter; however, it's attached by pressure/adhesive. On another forum a rep from Topping said you will almost definitely damage the pot pulling it off. With the Singxer, it's no problem:

Thank you for your help, which diameter you believe suits better 34mm or 38mm..
I found those two sizes on web.

35mm and 38mm
€ 7,50 4%OFF | HIFI audio amp Aluminum Volume knob 1pcs Diameter 35mm Height 22mm amplifier Potentiometer knob https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrfJtLN

34 and 40mm
€ 7,73 35%OFF | KYYSLB 26*30 30*30 34*30 40*30MM Volume Potentiometer Knob CD Amplifier Chassis Switch Instrument All Aluminum Solid Knob https://a.aliexpress.com/_mr4l7IF

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #475 of 2,563
I got around to A/B'ing the E30 and the Ares II. The chain was Windows 10 PC Amazon Music HD app ->Ares II (OS)/E30 (both via USB) ->SA-1 (E30 via RCA and Ares II via XLR) -> Arya. The SA-1 was set to Low Z/low gain and the volume pot was at 2'o clock, which is my comfortable listening level. Amazon Music was set to exclusive mode, which gives direct control of sound to the app by bypassing OS level control. While listening to tracks that emphasize various frequencies, I toggled between E30 and Ares II by using the switch in the front. The process of switching the DAC source on the PC then flipping the switch on the SA-1 was less than a second process. Between the two inputs, there wasn't an obvious volume difference.

Being able to switch the DAC source this quickly, the sound difference between the E30 and Ares II is pretty dramatic and it would be hard to believe that anyone with healthy hearing wouldn't be able to notice. With regard to the sound, the E30 sounds slightly V shaped relative to the Ares II. The bass impact feels more noticeable and the treble is definitely hotter. Furthermore, the E30 sounds more compressed and the sound has a more noticeable "edge" to them.

The Ares II in comparison sounds clearly warmer with mid frequencies being more audible and the treble being tamed without sounding rolled off or losing detail. The sound from Ares II had less of that "edge" heard in the E30 and therefore sounded smoother overall. Because of this smoothing effect, the drum hits feel less punchy. The Ares II also sounds less compressed and more dynamic (I mean dynamic range), which imparts a sense of better spacing. Interestingly, the sound stage didn't seem to change much. Overall, the Ares II sound is warmer, softer, and feels more sophisticated due to better dynamic range.

This was actually a uh,.,,,ear-opening experience. I went into this biased that there will be a negligible difference, thereby confirming my initial impression. But with the benefit of A/B'ing directly and perhaps with a more revealing headphone (my initial impression of was made mostly with Sundara and HD6XX), the difference is dramatic. Keep in mind that by no means the E30 is a bad DAC and I can see E30 performing better than Ares II with certain genres/setups. The differences I noted here are relative to the two DACs.
thanks for such a great comparison.

Apr 18, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #476 of 2,563

IMG_20210418_094634.jpgIMG_20210418_094640.jpg
but your knob, the silver one, seems larger than stock, larger than those 30mm, and it seems to be installed over that sank edge, no? where can we buy a knob like yours?? thanks again!!

Apr 18, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #477 of 2,563
Never I'm sorry, I'm looking for a HE1000SE at the moment, might be end game for me....

35mm and 38mm
€ 7,50 4%OFF | HIFI audio amp Aluminum Volume knob 1pcs Diameter 35mm Height 22mm amplifier Potentiometer knob https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrfJtLN

34 and 40mm
€ 7,73 35%OFF | KYYSLB 26*30 30*30 34*30 40*30MM Volume Potentiometer Knob CD Amplifier Chassis Switch Instrument All Aluminum Solid Knob https://a.aliexpress.com/_mr4l7IF
Thanks mate

Apr 18, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #478 of 2,563

Thanks again, it is really helpful. My current speakers maybe lack a bit on that, mids are a tiny bit behind treble and bass. I can adjust the speakers... but then treble detail is gone... I think, as far as today, SA-1+ARES-2 it's a superb "musical" combo, at the level of GSX Mini, almost, paired with an affordable great sounding R2R dac. Then about headphones, that's a longer journey.

Apr 18, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #479 of 2,563
but your knob, the silver one, seems larger than stock, larger than those 30mm, and it seems to be installed over that sank edge, no? where can we buy a knob like yours?? thanks again!!
The silver knob I have on there is 38mm diameter (originally from a Luxman amp). The SA-1 stock knob is 30mm, and there is an indented ring in the faceplate so that the 30mm knob will fit inside.
With a larger knob, it is possible to install it against the faceplate where it will scrape - you definitely don't want to do that.

I guess even a 40mm knob will fit.

Apr 18, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #480 of 2,563

35mm and 38mm

34 and 40mm

Mine is 38mm. I think 40mm will fit, maybe 42.
I think it depends on the shape and color of the knob you want.
Stock is only 30mm diameter but for me the biggest problem was how shallow it is. I basically couldn't reach for the volume control without touching the faceplate, which bugs me. And the level of sound I am hearing - the power of the music - was controlled by this fiddly little thing... (I have large hands.) I know the giant silver 38mm knob on my SA-1 may look ridiculous. I don't mind the look of it, and the physical-interaction/psycho-acoustic benefits are huge, for me. If it were black, or knurled, it might look better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back