Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Jun 11, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #1,066 of 2,579
Please don't misinterpret my words, it is never a bad thing, just from my point of view I felt like I was wasting it because every single device I adquired sounded great haha

So I ended up with 5 amps and liked all of them but it made no sense to me having all of them and switching over and over!

I was joking. For most people, having many amps would be a waste of money. But I really have a thing for headphone amps (also amp/preamps). I have 6 at this time and had as many as 9 before.

But my complicated audio systems allow me to use 3 amps (or amp/preamps) at any given time:
  • One amp goes in the side system.
  • And two go in the main system. Both are live at all times thanks to having dual RCA outputs on my DACs (usually the MHDT Labs Orchid; at the moment it's the Audio GD DAC-19).
  • With this kind of setup I can quite easily listen to the same song with a friend (each w/his own amp); or listen to the side system vs main system, and so on.
  • Sometimes I rotate this HP amp in to replace that one, or this amp/preamp in to replace that one...I like changing it up
  • The main system has the passive speakers, speaker amp, electronic crossover, and sub (using either the V281 or AGD SA-31SE as amp/preamp, alllowing me to listen to music all day long w/o even plugging in a headphone.
I spend a lot of time in this home office, so I made it very responsive to my audio needs.

BTW, that Pontus DAC is one that I would love to try--but it's simply too large for my limited desktop space (by contrast, the MHDT Labs Orchid is <1/2 the size of the Pontus).

I am thinking hard about getting a DDC as a step-up/evolution from my SPDIF converters--but it's a gamble, since the whole reclocker/jitter eliminator thing only really helps DACs that don't control jitter well. I don't know if MHDT Labs Orchid is a good or a bad DAC that way (though I do love the sound).

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #1,067 of 2,579
I'd appreciate pics of your setup haha, I've read you for quite some time already over this forum and you seem know a lot about this hobby

I'm not really into DDC but I'll test Ares vs Pontus and give some feedback on its thread, I'll also try the SA-1 with Pontus and give impressions here

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #1,069 of 2,579
I'd appreciate pics of your setup haha, I've read you for quite some time already over this forum and you seem know a lot about this hobby

I'm not really into DDC but I'll test Ares vs Pontus and give some feedback on its thread, I'll also try the SA-1 with Pontus and give impressions here
I’m looking to purchase Pontus as well so your overall impression and test with Singxer SA-1 would be most welcome! Thanks a ton.

Jun 11, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #1,071 of 2,579

Looking forward to your impressions

Jun 14, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #1,076 of 2,579
Now I've got a Pontus 2 and this is probably and finally my end game, end of journey until New Order
There is something I don't understand, "José": today and two days ago, as we were exchanging about your announce for a Ares 2, you told me that you WILL receive a Pontus soon so that you could compare them. (And told me too that you cancelled this buying and so wouldn't sell the Ares, when I said I would pay with Paypal). And on this thread, six months ago, you were telling that you had a Pontus. Could you explain this?

Jun 14, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #1,077 of 2,579
There is something I don't understand, "José": today and two days ago, as we were exchanging about your announce for a Ares 2, you told me that you WILL receive a Pontus soon so that you could compare them. (And told me too that you cancelled this buying and so wouldn't sell the Ares, when I said I would pay with Paypal). And on this thread, six months ago, you were telling that you had a Pontus. Could you explain this?
I am receiving Pontus and selling Ares but I need 2 days to receive it and try it out!

I was about to cancel it as I am very nervous and undecided person but I just threw my money at it.....

Jun 14, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #1,078 of 2,579
Yeah I was shocked but it was *completely* my fault for missing that. Long story short, Geshelli Labs is an amazing company and took care of me as a customer. Their products are excellent and their support is likely second to none, for real.
Yeah they have been great. They reached out to me to get a heatsink on the dac chip of my new j2 to help for longevity. Just proactively helping me out like that is kind of badass.

Jun 17, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #1,079 of 2,579
Got my SA-1 a week ago and this baby is really starting to singx

Jun 18, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #1,080 of 2,579
Any fatalities due to the dc mod???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back