Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Apr 3, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #271 of 2,563
Not what us with the Drop THX AAA 789 wanted to hear. I find my SMSL SU-9 > Drop THX AAA 789 a bit bright and harsh. Now I am wondering if changing the amp or dac will yield bigger difference. Was hoping the SA-1 would smooth things out. Was also considering changing the dac to SMSL M400 or a R2R like the Denafrips Ares II. Btw hp are Senn HD6XX and Focal Stellia.
If youre using usb as a source as stated then amp wont fix brightness that usb produce. Some might add bit of coloration so that harshness will not be as noticable.

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #272 of 2,563
Not what us with the Drop THX AAA 789 wanted to hear. I find my SMSL SU-9 > Drop THX AAA 789 a bit bright and harsh. Now I am wondering if changing the amp or dac will yield bigger difference. Was hoping the SA-1 would smooth things out. Was also considering changing the dac to SMSL M400 or a R2R like the Denafrips Ares II. Btw hp are Senn HD6XX and Focal Stellia.
Maybe I am mixing up the SMSL components but doesn’t the SU-9 have coloration. Try the Tube or Rich ones with the higher number (Tube3, Rich3) Do you find they have any affect?

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #273 of 2,563
So after a couple of days with the sa-1 here are my thoughts, coming from a thx 887 it’s not a huge jump forward, very minimal actually...i definitely prefer the class A fullness that comes with it, but if you have a thx amp you shouldn’t be hard pressed to upgrade, I may even return the sa-1 and look into a tube hybrid. The mids are there with the sa-1 just a tad bit more...and sometimes it was extremely hard to tell. Great amp, but if you have a thx amp you are fine, look into something else. I noticed no difference in stage and separation. Zeos is just being zeos.
I'm curious which headphones and dac you paired for the comparison of the THX 887 to the SA-1.
When you say that you do not consider it an upgrade to your THX 788, do you mean that the SA-1 has the same performance as the THX 788 in sound quality related to technical aspects (Resolution, Transparency, Image, Soundstage, etc.)? since the fact that they coincide in technical capabilities does not mean that they necessarily sound the same, perhaps the characteristic flavor of each amplifier (depending on the amplifier's own implementation) can result in 2 different experiences, in such a way that an amplifier can sound the frequencies softer highs or give more body to the frequencies, or perhaps you are looking for precision in an amplifier above realism? I do not know, I am speculating and that is why I would like to understand your thoughts better.
By the way, what sound signature do you prefer? And what genre of music do you listen to the most? which may also help me better understand your conclusions on SA-1.
Sorry, I know there are a lot of questions, but I have a feeling that your final thoughts on the SA-1 compared to the THX 887 leave a lot of loose ends as I see it, especially since there aren't many experiences on SA -1, and I think it could also be useful for the community interested in this thread, thanks for your understanding!

Apr 3, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #274 of 2,563
I am the other way. I do not know the audiophile abilities of anyone on these forums. When I hear that one amp has slight improvements over another, even slight, that means they are noticeable. That may be all someone needs to improve on the pairing with their headphones. I read this in your response comparing the THX 887:
1. SA-1 has a fullness over the 887
2. Not as tubie as tube amps
3. Slightly more mids than 887 but dependent on the recording
4. sound stage and depth similar to 887

To me that says a lot. 887 is touted as critical, more neutral sound. For me, I want accuracy and some warmth with good definition of the highs like cymbal strikes and such. So far, this sounds to me like the SA-1 is right where I want it to be.

Will find out in a week or two I guess.

I also did a quick search and found these comments (included the links).

This guys said this (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sin...e-class-a-beyond-thx-888.952074/post-16102819)
I think sound quality is on par (may be better) with A90. It has better bass control when I am using HD650.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another said this:frowning2:https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sin...e-class-a-beyond-thx-888.952074/post-16134865)

I've given it a listen for a few hours and it's fantastic. I also ordered some jumpers for the DC cap bypass and will test that soon but as-is it's decent. The Jot2 has more treble energy however the SA-1 is definitely more even. The bass presentation on Jot2 is more inviting however, SA-1 is neutral and tight. Drives the HE6 just fine as well. I got a bit of listening fatigue though that seems to happen to me sometimes on hyper-measurement focused gear. Will give it a few more days of testing to see if it settles into my stack nicely. The amp seems to run warmer when not in use than when running headphones. It doesn't get hot which is nice, especially given the power output. It's less powerful than the Jot2 which IMO is a good thing. Jot2 is just through the roof.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another said this for the sound: (https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/singxer-sa-1-balanced-class-a/20356/17)

I also received my SA-1 yesterday. Currently comparing especially with the A90 to determine which one to keep or if it’s worth it to keep both. At the moment I prefer the lush sound of the SA-1. It’s smoother and more alive at the same time compared to the A90. I especially prefer my Arya on the Singxer. Those on the A90 can sound a little bit clinical and lifeless. That was the main reason I wanted to try the SA-1 and for now I think it’s giving me exactly what I was hoping for. Even on low gain it has plenty of power.
My Aeolus and Celestee also sound very nice on it. Normally I listen especially Aeolus only on tubes. I still prefer them on tubes but the Singxer is also more enjoyable than the A90. I guess pure linearity is just not my preferred sound signature.

Btw: I’m also using the Singxer also as a Pre for my Adam T5V. Don’t know if I’m imagining it but they sound quite a bit fuller and more punchy. It’s hard to A/B so I can’t compare directly.

For me the A90 was a worthwhile upgrade from the 789 and now I’m probably going to sell my A90 since I prefer the SA-1 sound signature even more. So for me I’d definitely be worth it. It can even handle my Hifiman Arya very well when balanced on low gain.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another comment on sound: (https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/kh2sgy/singxer_sa1_fully_balanced_discrete_class_a/)

Yes, three people tried both and all prefer SA-1, better dynamic and clearer sound with slight warmer tone. Also you can bypass the internal DC Cap which will take this amp another level. I have SA-1 and I compare it to Topping L30 with Focal Clear.

I can't listen to L30 any more

From these, I think the comments you made, quawn0418, are spot on. Also, I think it describes the sound I would like most. Dynamic, clear, fullness with a slight warmth.

Thank you for your comments on this quawn0418.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #275 of 2,563
I am the other way. I do not know the audiophile abilities of anyone on these forums. When I hear that one amp has slight improvements over another, even slight, that means they are noticeable. That may be all someone needs to improve on the pairing with their headphones. I read this in your response comparing the THX 887:

To me that says a lot. 887 is touted as critical, more neutral sound. For me, I want accuracy and some warmth with good definition of the highs like cymbal strikes and such. So far, this sounds to me like the SA-1 is right where I want it to be.

Will find out in a week or two I guess.

I also did a quick search and found these comments (included the links).

This guys said this (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sin...e-class-a-beyond-thx-888.952074/post-16102819)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another said this:frowning2:https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sin...e-class-a-beyond-thx-888.952074/post-16134865)

Another said this for the sound: (https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/singxer-sa-1-balanced-class-a/20356/17)

Another comment on sound: (https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/kh2sgy/singxer_sa1_fully_balanced_discrete_class_a/)

From these, I think the comments you made, quawn0418, are spot on. Also, I think it describes the sound I would like most. Dynamic, clear, fullness with a slight warmth.

Thank you for that very well-thought-out read!

Apr 3, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #276 of 2,563
I have moved from the RNHP to the Singxer SA-1 using the Sennheiser HD800 dupont mod. I produce music and my DAC reflects that as I am using the Focusrite Scarlett 4i4.

I have gained more soundstage (as i knew I would because the RNHP amp is an imaging and speed king IMO) The RNHP sounds like music in an anechoic chamber in a good way which i really enjoy.

I have more dynamics and bass presence, speed is still great just not the hardwired to my brain speed of the RNHP, imagining is still great, slightly more highs.

I think those that have purchased the SA-1 and are waiting for it to arrive will be pleased with their choice.

Apr 3, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #277 of 2,563
That's surprising to hear. I know audiophiles tend to overexaggerate the differences (at least to my hearing, "massive" changes are... rarely that) but "very minimal" between one that's supposed to be leaning towards musical and/or warm and one that's supposed to be analytical and sterile, huh. Well, I've still got a Magni 3 so I'm sure it'll be an upgrade from that, anyway.

Has anyone compared the SA-1 to RebelAmp and Flux Labs FA-12? Sound-wise, specifically. I'm looking to add a bit of that supposed Class A smoothness to my setup and those three seem to be the top budget picks.

I'm curious which headphones and dac you paired for the comparison of the THX 887 to the SA-1.
When you say that you do not consider it an upgrade to your THX 788, do you mean that the SA-1 has the same performance as the THX 788 in sound quality related to technical aspects (Resolution, Transparency, Image, Soundstage, etc.)? since the fact that they coincide in technical capabilities does not mean that they necessarily sound the same, perhaps the characteristic flavor of each amplifier (depending on the amplifier's own implementation) can result in 2 different experiences, in such a way that an amplifier can sound the frequencies softer highs or give more body to the frequencies, or perhaps you are looking for precision in an amplifier above realism? I do not know, I am speculating and that is why I would like to understand your thoughts better.
By the way, what sound signature do you prefer? And what genre of music do you listen to the most? which may also help me better understand your conclusions on SA-1.
Sorry, I know there are a lot of questions, but I have a feeling that your final thoughts on the SA-1 compared to the THX 887 leave a lot of loose ends as I see it, especially since there aren't many experiences on SA -1, and I think it could also be useful for the community interested in this thread, thanks for your understanding!
So I A/B’d the amps using the rme adi-2...I’m into vocals, so I listen to a lot of sam smith, Adele, tones and I, I even ran some Sinatra through them. And again, the singxer is the better amp, but it’s just by a hair. You make me want to listen even more lol. But if it will help I did decide to keep the singxer, will be selling the thx this week.

The singxer had better mids, and when I say better I mean just a tad bit. You really have to listen for it. Stage and separation sounded the same. Dynamics were actually better on the thx to me. But I’m not really into dynamics. I prefer a smoother fuller sorta compressed sound. Anyhow, the singxer isn’t that. It’s better than the 887 and bit more musical, JUST BY A HAIR, but not $250 better. I think we’ve just grown tired of the thx amps. That’s not to say that they aren’t really nice amps for the price. They are quite amazing actually. I will say this. Zeos’s review was inaccurate, and I don’t see me pulling the trigger on anything he recommends again. I bought the gl2000 because he raved about it being better than the Arya sold it after a month. The singxer will stay, but only because it is the better amp of the 2. It’s no where near as “fun” as he described.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #278 of 2,563
Maybe I am mixing up the SMSL components but doesn’t the SU-9 have coloration. Try the Tube or Rich ones with the higher number (Tube3, Rich3) Do you find they have any affect?
Correct but the color profiles don’t do much. Not much difference if any. Other reviewers have commented the same.

Apr 3, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #279 of 2,563
If youre using usb as a source as stated then amp wont fix brightness that usb produce. Some might add bit of coloration so that harshness will not be as noticable.
Yes usb from Mac to su-9 dac to thx aaa 789 amp. I’m running Audirvana from mac. Didn’t know usb exhibits this bright harness. I would think majority of ppl use usb these days. I guess I’ll test SA-1 with dac once it arrives. It not enough coloration then maybe I need to also change dac as well.

Apr 3, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #280 of 2,563
Interesting impressions, thanks a lot to everyone posting them! I'm looking for a sort of a... Full, warm, rich amp with a lot of slam for that sweet, sweet bass and overall just pleasant listening sessions, and I was set on getting the SA-1 but it's starting to sound like maybe that's not the best choice after all. Reading the RebelAmp's reviews on their site it's starting to sound like maybe that's the best choice for me. That or Jot 2, but I'm super wary of Jot 2 right now due to all the technical issues people have been talking about in its thread. Sucks that Schiit Europe is apparently pretty much dead. The lack of XLR out for the RebelAmp is a bummer.

Apr 3, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #281 of 2,563

Exactly what I am after as well. I am happy with the thx 789 detail and accuracy but just want to soften a bit with some warmth and smooth the highs a bit so not so harsh and sharp.

Apr 3, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #282 of 2,563
Yes usb from Mac to su-9 dac to thx aaa 789 amp. I’m running Audirvana from mac. Didn’t know usb exhibits this bright harness. I would think majority of ppl use usb these days. I guess I’ll test SA-1 with dac once it arrives. It not enough coloration then maybe I need to also change dac as well.
Try if you can to use Your smarthphone as a usb source you will see how much cleaner and smoother as a source you will see how good it can sound from a clean source.
I have a laptop and even running from the battery it never sound as clean or as warm as from my S20+
It sound like a good reclocker.

Apr 3, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #283 of 2,563
Exactly what I am after as well. I am happy with the thx 789 detail and accuracy but just want to soften a bit with some warmth and smooth the highs a bit so not so harsh and sharp.
I think you’ll like the singxer then...all’s I’m saying is to not be misled by the exaggerating going on in this thread, because I was. Just so happens that I’m going to keep the sa-1, with plans on selling the thx, but I’m still on the search for an actual warm and musical amp.

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #284 of 2,563
I think you’ll like the singxer then...all’s I’m saying is to not be misled by the exaggerating going on in this thread, because I was. Just so happens that I’m going to keep the sa-1, with plans on selling the thx, but I’m still on the search for an actual warm and musical amp.
I like to get a second amp that is more extreme warm and musical as well to switch listening preferences sometimes. If you find such amp please share. We might have to go tube amp for this route.

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #285 of 2,563
I like to get a second amp that is more extreme warm and musical as well to switch listening preferences sometimes. If you find such amp please share. We might have to go tube amp for this route.

I wouldn't say this amp is extremely warm--but it's distinctly musical, with excellent bass & output power (SE & balanced) despite small size: try to find an original Cavalli Liquid Carbon (mine is v2, which fixed occasional channel balance issues some had w/v1). The LC is somewhat warm--but IMO more importantly, it refuses to exaggerate the upper midrange, treble, note transients and vocal sibilants, all things I've heard in some amps that advertise themselves as "neutral"/resolving.

Drop sometimes offers a larger-case version of the LC circuit, though some users report it doesn't sound identical to the LC.

You certainly could go tube--I refer to transformer-coupled tube amps that are comfortable with headphones of low & high impedance--though these tend to be larger, more expensive, and usually don't offer balanced output. I've heard a number of these amps (including one, the Woo WA22) IMS. As a group they offer all manner of sonic upgrades vs SS, and not just warm vs cold tonality stuff. These are relatively subtle, but meaningful sonic differences IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back