Singlepower Tube Amps
Dec 15, 2003 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

tortie

Headphoneus Supremus
I for one, have had trouble looking for info about Mikhail's Singlepower tube amps because they don't have a website yet. I emailed Mikhail at sales@singlepower.com and he was kind enough to give me some info and some pics. Hope this thread helps. Here they are:

PPX3

fa4a44e8.jpg

fa4a44e2.jpg

fa4a44de.jpg

"The PPX3 is a standard three triode headphone amplifier that is intended for those who want a simple tube sound that will work with most of headphones and produce a lush warm sound.
The circuit is made with standard recitification and good power filtration. The 6CG7 tube is employed in all three positions. The PPX3 is more of a introductory amplifier for those who want tube sound at a lower cost.

The amplifier is smaller and less complex. It is made in limited qty. on a per order basis.

Price less than $400

MPX3 & Supra

The Supra and MPX are very good amps. The sonic differences are based in the level of detail and tonal percision that Supra has in comparison to the MPX3. The MPX3 has a greater bass response, but less detail. This is primarily due to the power supply of the Supra being so large. The power supply allows the circuit to remain ultra stable throughout the frequency spectrum and deals with all volume levels of the detail in the music in a very linear fashion. So low level sounds will be as defined as higher level sound and transients in music. The MPX is less defined and thus the image is slightly less spatial. The Supra is top of the line and best sounding amplifier at any price. The MPX3 comes is perfect for under $1000 price range.

Both amps are capable of driving most headphone from 32 Ohm
to 600+ Ohm."

fa527fe5.jpg
fa527fdb.jpg

fa527fe1.jpg

The MPX3 looks basically the same as the Supra

SUPRA

"The Supra amplifier is a top of line expression of tube amplification at its best. It invokes feelings of awe and musical bliss due to its transparency and detail. The signal is treated very delicately through shielded oxygen free copper coax. Solid stable power and delicate treatment of the signal path add to its refined detail and absolute transparency. The key to hearing the music and nothing else stems from a very stable regulated power supply. The Supra uses a power supply section that rivals the best power supplies in the world. Starting with a 229VA transformer the power is sent through a series of low ESR filter capacitors to two 3300uF reservoir capacitors before being regulated down to a stable 265 volt plate supply. A large regulator is used to keep the voltage stable through the most aggressive transients and power demands of the circuit. The power supply will eliminate any and all noise coming from the mains AC supply and all other noise. In addition, the power supply brings stability to the circuit that is unparalleled in the vacuum tube amplifier industry. No "sag" in the power means no fluctuations in the circuit or the amplified sound.
Designed to function at high volume levels without audible distortion. Most of time if distortion is heard, it is most likely coming from your source. Tubes play the most crucial role in the sound, tone, and clarity. Some tubes do better than others. The Supra allows you to try a variety of tubes and really hear the tube's capabilities and nothing else!

The following features and parts are implemented:
- 800v center tap power transformer - 229VA
- 2 3300uf Res. capacitors
- Many stages of filtration with other cap networks
- OTL (Output TransformerLess) circuit topology
- Filtered and rectified DC heater supply
- High quality regulation - This is a brick wall to any noise
coming from your wall (mains) supply.
- Standard ALPS audio volume control
- Silver-Ceramic Sockets
- Silver-Teflon wire
- Silver solder
- "Orange Drop" Polypropylene coupling caps
- Metal film resistors and high quality components throughout
- OFC Shielded wire for signal path
- High Quality input and Outputs
- High efficiency wiring.

Base Price less then $1450

The MPX3 is very similar, but has the following features:

- 600v center tap power transformer
- 2 x 650uf Res. capacitors
- Many stages of filtration with other cap networks
- OTL (Output TransformerLess) circuit topology
- Filtered and rectified DC heater supply
- High quality regulation - This is a brick wall to any noise
coming from your wall (mains) supply.
- Standard ALPS audio volume control
- Silver-Ceramic Sockets
- Silver-Teflon wire
- Silver solder
- "Orange Drop" Polypropylene coupling caps
- Metal film resistors and high quality components throughout
- OFC Shielded wire for signal path"

Base price less than $780

Other upgrades for Supra and MPX3:

1. Goldpoint attenuator
2. Vampire RCA input
3. Neutrik 1/4" phono jack
4. Auricap coupling caps
5. Upgraded output caps
6. Solen Power supply caps - Stage 1
7. Solen Power supply caps - Stage 2
8. Higher efficiency power supply wiring
9. Addition of RCA output jacks for preamp application

SDS

"The SDS is a limited production custom built unit that's built for those who want the ultimate best amplifier. We include all the upgrades listed and a special very low ESR capacitors. The circuit is more complex and takes longer to produce. We've had a great response from all of our customers and everyone who's heard the SDS.

We will make the SDS to order."

Maestro

fa527fd6.jpg
fa527fae.jpg
fa527fba.jpg

fa527fb4.jpg

fa527fd2.jpg

fa527fc8.jpg

"The Maestro headphone/preamp is our latest offering and it is the the best with all headphones. The level of detail is higher on the Maestro, and the parts cost is much higher."

Intro price less than $2500. Normal retail will be more then $3000

I don't know if Mikhail wants me to post the prices that he qouted me or if head-fi will allow it...so I didn't post the exact prices just to be sure.

Dec 16, 2003 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 31
I have never stopped being amazed at how perfect my SDS amp from Mikhail is. It is internally upgraded over the Supra and has the top of the line goldpoint stepped atten. and the power caps are 2X3600. This amp is totally awesome. It is easily one of the finest peices of audio gear I've ever owned. I have no plans of upgrading my headphone amp EVER.
Unless I need a preamp. Maestro maybe...........Hmmmmmm.....

Dec 16, 2003 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 31
Thanks this is very useful reference material. I'd get one of the top amps, if I hadn't taken a nasty financial hit recently. :^(

Dec 16, 2003 at 5:29 AM Post #4 of 31
Nice boxes too! Weren't these originally in "industrial" metal shop style?

Dec 16, 2003 at 6:39 AM Post #6 of 31
The new look is great and I wonder if I ordered at the wrong time, getting one of the last of the all metal MPX3s. But now that I've got it up on brass cones (the feet it came with weren't level, besides being quite small) it looks pretty formidable (and the sound is tighter). There are arguments to be made for both styles and I would guess the newer, more conventional style might be easier to resell.

Dec 16, 2003 at 6:55 AM Post #7 of 31
Tom Hankins, referring to his SDS...

"This amp is totally awesome. It is easily one of the finest pieces of audio gear I've ever owned. I don't have no plans to upgrade my headphone amp EVER."

Tom, that was a remarkable statement. You took the words right out of my mouth. Like you, I've owned a lot of audio gear and am not easily impressed. Mikhail's SDS really is an exceptional peice of gear and I will not be parting with mine any day soon either.

Dec 16, 2003 at 6:58 AM Post #8 of 31
Wow, they aren't butt ugly any more, they're actually very attractive. Unfortunately there is a Melos calling my name first...
tongue.gif

Dec 16, 2003 at 7:59 AM Post #9 of 31
If I ever get the chance to go tubes, I'd go for the Supra if not just for looks. That thing has style.

Dec 16, 2003 at 11:46 AM Post #10 of 31
Wmcmanus refering to HIS Supra refering to Tom's Supra... Quote:

Tom Hankins, referring to his SDS...

Quote:

"This amp is totally awesome. It is easily one of the finest pieces of audio gear I've ever owned. I don't have no plans to upgrade my headphone amp EVER."

I don't own the SDS version
frown.gif
but a really big DITTO on everything else. Nuff said.

600smile.gif
gb

Dec 16, 2003 at 1:11 PM Post #11 of 31
I cannot see more pictures of this supra amp, it is simply too stunning, lusting for it, envisioning it next to my RS-1, OMG, the wanting, it is talking to me in my mind already.......come to me my preciousssssssssss......

It seems it would be best if I will no longer read threads about this particular amp, it also prevents too much drool posts as well
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2003 at 1:29 PM Post #12 of 31
Mikhail has come a long way since building the Supra in my avatar...which was the very first one. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Simply a stunning amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2003 at 2:32 PM Post #13 of 31
What, no trendy Nuetrik locking jacks?
They'll never sell in this crowd!

They all look really nice. Good job, Mikhail, wherever you are.

ok,
erix

Dec 16, 2003 at 4:38 PM Post #15 of 31
Just think, the one in the second and third pics looks like it was probably photographed by Mikhail so it could be yours or mine.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back