Singlepower MPX3
Sep 12, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #137 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm I do like warm but I find the 6BL7 a tad too laid back with mids in some of my music on my K340s. Is there a tube combination that sounds warm and smooth like the 6BL7 but a little more forward?

Try a 6414; preferably a black plate tube with the 6bl7gta. If you have a 2c51 adapter ... the 2c51 > 6bl7gta combo is great with low impedance headphones.

The 7n7 > 5687 combo is very good.

Sep 12, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #138 of 188
thanks for all the suggestions and thanks sacd_lover! I just tried the 6414s with the 6bl7GTAs, WOW. I should have tried this combo long ago lol. Its more forward and detailed but still has this certain smoothness to it, I love it. I need to get a 2c51 adapter one of these days. I did try the 7n7 + 5687 and it was punchier than with the 6BL7s but didn't have the the warm/smoothness that I wanted.

For now the 6414 + 6BL7 is a keeper. I lucked out as both 6414s that were included are black plate Raytheons
biggrin.gif

One last thing, is it worth getting tube dampeners? Do the 6414s and 6BL7s benefit from having them?

Sep 15, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #139 of 188
What's the price difference these days between a MPX3 Slam SE and a standard Supra? I know everyone is very keen on point-point wiring, but the printed circuit board and neat layout of the MPX3 also has benefits for ease of running down technical problems (by anyone) and DIY modding.

Sep 16, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #142 of 188
Does anyone know of someone who can repair MPX3s other than Mikhail? My MPX3 has sat unused for over a year now because of a hum in one of the channels but I've heard that Mikhail's backlog for repairs is over a year in and of itself!

Sep 16, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #143 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know of someone who can repair MPX3s other than Mikhail? My MPX3 has sat unused for over a year now because of a hum in one of the channels but I've heard that Mikhail's backlog for repairs is over a year in and of itself!

Have you done any troubleshooting to be sure the hum is the amp and not a bad tube, ground lop etc.... ??

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #144 of 188
Quote:

I remember nikongod posting about studying MPX circuit, but can't find that post. You might want to ask his help.

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #145 of 188
I think that's over on a DIY post I started about the MPX3 power supply. I haven't followed up on this because I have been working on modding a small tube power amp i own (my first such project) before I tackle my MPX3. My experience on that project is that most DIYers can size up a circuit just by looking at a photo and if they can touch it, you'll get even more help! The MPX3 is a clean design. Everything is out in the open. Find a tube tech where you live and by all means contact nikongod and other DIYers who own SP stuff. Local DIYers are really a great resource, too, if you can find them. I still don't know a thing about electricity, but I am getting good at replacing and bypassing capacitors, changing resistors, and next a choke

Sep 21, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #146 of 188
Yeah I'm sure it's not the tubes. I have two sets and no matter which set I use, the buzz is the same. The amp was shook up during shipping (SPST switch broke etc) so I haven't used it much since.

Sep 21, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #148 of 188
Quote:

Yeah I'm sure it's not the tubes. I have two sets and no matter which set I use, the buzz is the same. The amp was shook up during shipping (SPST switch broke etc) so I haven't used it much since.

No wonder the amp has a hum .... who knows what was torn loose internally. Did you file a claim with the courier?

Sep 21, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #149 of 188
I'm not sure. I bought the amp from Grawk and I don't remember exactly but I don't think think the he was able to put through the claim and I didn't want him to have to eat the damages so I just stored it in the hopes that I'd be able to fix it. Sadly, there weren't any repair shops back in Hawaii but now that I'm up in Oregon, I can bring it back up with me in October and find a repair shop up here.

Sep 22, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #150 of 188
Quote:

I'm not sure. I bought the amp from Grawk and I don't remember exactly but I don't think think the he was able to put through the claim and I didn't want him to have to eat the damages so I just stored it in the hopes that I'd be able to fix it. Sadly, there weren't any repair shops back in Hawaii but now that I'm up in Oregon, I can bring it back up with me in October and find a repair shop up here.

Go to a tv/radio repair that has a tube tech. With so many retired military, there should be tons of tube experience on the rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back