Singlepower ES-1 and Sennheiser HE90
Mar 2, 2006 at 9:20 AM Post #47 of 65
I am resurrecting this thread to learn more about the ES-1's implementation. Is it the first electrostatic amp SP made? IMHO the aethetics of the ES-1 win over the SDS by a mile. DavidNY: Could you share some of the information that might have circulated between Mikhail and you during the design and construction of this beautiful machine? Thanks!

Mar 2, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #50 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol
I am resurrecting this thread to learn more about the ES-1's implementation. Is it the first electrostatic amp SP made? IMHO the aethetics of the ES-1 win over the SDS by a mile. DavidNY: Could you share some of the information that might have circulated between Mikhail and you during the design and construction of this beautiful machine? Thanks!

The first prototype for the ES-1 was built for Bozebuttons. It first appeared at a New York meet last Spring to mixed reviews. He sent his back to Mikhail for a power supply upgrade around the time I started talking to him about building "something better than a HEV90." If you can still find pictures of Bozebutton's 1st prototype the cosmetics have been substantially altered but the basic amp design, 2 gain stages and 2 output tubes per channel did not change. Mikhail brought Bozebutton's and my ES-1 to the East Coast to present in person at the snowed out NJ meet. Now that's service! Mikhail had mine shipped to me and Bozebuttons got is last weekend at the rescheduled NJ meet.

I am particularly interested in Bozebutton's comments once he gets a chance to listen carefully to the ES-1 since he also has an HEV90.

Another anecdote, Mikhail tells me that the 2005 edition of HE90 sounds slightly different than the vintage version. Anyone who attended the latest NJ meet care to comment? I understand that some of you were able to compare the two. Over time Mikhail's opinion has shifted to slightly preferring the 2005 edition. I have asked Mikhail to post his impressions but he is so busy I don't expect to hear much from him for quite a while.

As others have said interacting directly with Mikhail is half of the fun of buying one of his amps. His ability to describe what impact various component choices will have on the end result comes from long experience. The same goes for his thoughts on tube selection. There is no substitute to having direct access to Mikhail himself. Perhaps when he finally gets around to updating his woefully out of date web site he will provide more guidance on the sound signature of his various component upgrades. He is so creative you can go in some unexpected directions with respect to design. For example we had a long talk about building an amp that could power either electrostatic or dynamic headphones by combining 2 separate amplification circuits in one box. At the end of the day simplicity is usually the best approach and that's what the final production version of the ES-1 represents.

The sound of the ES-1 and HE90 is most enjoyable. I have been spending many late nights listening to all forms of music, and not getting enough sleep. I am not looking for any sympathy. It's just that good. For those who have heard the HE90, it has a unique sound signature which many have described. The ES-1 is a much more "powerful" amp (which is typical of the Singlepower design philosophy) and therefore I am inferring that it does not have as "laid back" a presentation (for lack of a better set of words) that many who have listened to the HE90 / HEV90 system have described. But I have not heard an HEV90 so please do not put much weight on my description. We will have to wait for more knowledgeable Head-Fi'ers to comment.

Mar 2, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #52 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor
Congrats David (and my congrats are from someone who actually heard the ES-1/HE-90, it is that good!).

I second that emotion! Sampling high-end phones in meet conditions can be hit or miss, but the ES1/HE90 combo was the first time I really "GOT" the HE-90. As David notes, Mikhail's effort yields a much more impactful presentation, that IMHO is head and shoulders above previously available amps.
(basshead speaking)

Mar 3, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #53 of 65
David,

thanks for responding. Great to hear you are so happy with your amp. Singlepower was my first "boutique" audio product (heard that phrase somewhere) and I have to say the ability to communicate directly with the creator of my equipment, to discuss tweaks and upgrades, is most enjoyable. I have repeated the experience lately with Sven Berendsen in nearby Moers, Germany. I payed him a visit two times and we discussed highend while sipping espresso on his workbench. Great guy!

Most of us here regardless of wallet size are serious hobbyists who go to great lengths to find audio nirvana. I think companies like SP are a great asset, just like this forum is. Not only are they inventive, experienced and professional, create great products for almost any budget, but most importantly are small enough to cater to each of us customers individually.

That aside, David, I'd like to know what came out of your discussion regarding the amp for dynamic phones and electrostats. Are you saying you buried the idea after finding it too complex a task and started to draw up the ES-1?

I am intrigued by the idea to combine individual components into single units. Others may think differently. Has anyone here ever considered or discussed an integrated amp for speakers and headphones from SP? Sort of the equivalent of a Cary 300Sei?

Cheers, Matthias

Mar 3, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #54 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidNY
The sound of the ES-1 and HE90 is most enjoyable. I have been spending many late nights listening to all forms of music, and not getting enough sleep. I am not looking for any sympathy. It's just that good. For those who have heard the HE90, it has a unique sound signature which many have described. The ES-1 is a much more "powerful" amp (which is typical of the Singlepower design philosophy) and therefore I am inferring that it does not have as "laid back" a presentation (for lack of a better set of words) that many who have listened to the HE90 / HEV90 system have described. But I have not heard an HEV90 so please do not put much weight on my description. We will have to wait for more knowledgeable Head-Fi'ers to comment.

I too have been lacking sleep, but the cause for me is the HEV90. Now, if I got the ES-1, I wonder what would happen. I am curious to hear this! David, what source config are you using? (cables/etc...)

Neil

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #55 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol

That aside, David, I'd like to know what came out of your discussion regarding the amp for dynamic phones and electrostats. Are you saying you buried the idea after finding it too complex a task and started to draw up the ES-1?

I am intrigued by the idea to combine individual components into single units. Others may think differently. Has anyone here ever considered or discussed an integrated amp for speakers and headphones from SP? Sort of the equivalent of a Cary 300Sei?

Cheers, Matthias

An amp section that could drive either dynamic or electrostatic phones would be quite large - 14 tubes. Plus I did not feel strongly enough about any particular dynamic headphone nto make the added commitment. In theory I could still have a dynamic amp section made that could be powered by the ES-1 power supply.

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #56 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg
I too have been lacking sleep, but the cause for me is the HEV90. Now, if I got the ES-1, I wonder what would happen. I am curious to hear this! David, what source config are you using? (cables/etc...)

Neil

Congratulatins on your Orpheus system! Definately the best looking headphone amplifier I've seen.

I am using a heavily modified Sony SCD-1 with the full set of mods by Audiomod.com. I have recently switched from Cardas NR to a balanced silver cable (13 AWG) made by a boutique manufacturer called Matthew James Audio which has opened up the soundstage and adds more clarity to that rich HE90 sound. Mikhail has recommended that I try a Virtual Dynamics IC. There's always something else to get.

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #58 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg
What is with the Virtual Dynamics IC's and Powercords?... not the first time i've heard people using this/recc'ing this.

My fault
wink.gif
Mikhail stopped at my place prior to the NJ meets (cancelled and actual), and I got to listen to the ES1's. I dropped some Virtual Dynamics IC's into the rig, and the change in sound was rather obvious. Very clear and dynamic IC, once you get to the Master Series. Not for those who need a flexible cable, tho
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #59 of 65
I bit late, anyway, congratulations!

It is nice to see that the prototype has turned into a fully fledged production model, and that it sound very good, was of course expected
icon10.gif

I didn't know where to put it exactly in the list of identified SP "models".

Mar 12, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #60 of 65
Some thoughts on the ES-1,I am listening to Dave Mathews Weekend on the Rocks CD.

First off the ES-1 has incredible soundstage capabilities,Depth being is strongest ability.The sound stage or headstage as it would be called by some is layered & deeper then any headphone combo I have heard before Very speaker like in its presentation.Width is also very good,but not equal to depth but pretty close recording dependent.

Detail is also at the top of its game,not straining here to hear the little cues in the recording.Vocals are holographic,its like you can actually see Dave in your Head singing ( I Think tube amps do this best,even in my speake
r system).

Bass & drumkick sound very solid & impactfull,Sounds projecting out of a very black background. Horns sound very real,instrument tone is spot on.

This is initial impressions with the HE90 ,Everytime I listen the more I am impressed,I waited a long time for this amp ,Mikhail went through differant
electrostaic designs before the ES-1.Mikhail feels this may be his best effort Yet,I have to tend to Agree.

On some side notes I am using Mullard EL34s with the amp as 1 of the GE fatboys had a distortion issue.Another set on the way.

I also tried the Omega IIs with the amp,depth also was the best I heard with them.The omegaIIs sounded differant then I am used too,I have to spend more time with the combo maybe some tuberolling(unbelievable amount of options available with adapters Mikhail has supplied me for tube choices )to fine tube the amp to the omegas.Right now the HE90s are my primary Headphone.

I have yet to break out the HEV90 to compare,I will eventually but don,t really feel the need to do that now,enjoying the ES1 too much.
So much gear so little Time,but someone has to bear the burdon
orphsmile.gif

Back to listening More to come at a Later Date............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back