Singlepower amp registry
Aug 1, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #49 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by moredes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an MPX3 SLAM that I bought used in May last year (2008). I'll try and find out what the production date was.

Do Singlepower amps have serial numbers? where are they located?

How do you find out the production date? Anyone with the answer can chime in.

Thanks,
JD

Aug 1, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #50 of 87
They don't. If you aren't the original buyer, better get open can pics to know what you're buying. Bushleague for the cost of these things.

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #51 of 87
In order owned.

SinglePower PPX3: Worked great, no issues over a year (Open, curious). Several upgrades.
SinglePower MPX3: Worked Great, No issues, owned over 1 year (opened, Solen cap. knocked loose in rough shipping, quick fix)
SinglePower Toaster MPX3-'SLAM'*: Worked great, No issues for 8 months (opened, curious). Stock.
SinglePower Supra SE: Worked great, no issues, owned 4 months (did not open, no reason). Heavily upgraded.

All the amps I opened and inspected (on early amps, there was no transformer cover). They all looked great--INCLUDING THE EXTREME. The board and all the components of my 2007 RevA stock version look like new. I had a second transformer put in and had the original transformer properly wired.

SinglePower Extreme: Best of them all (for my personal taste). Reference quality sound--no one disagrees.

Best case, you inspect and its fine. Worst case--a handful of amps out of a thousand are so bad, it appears they are not salvageable due to cold solder joints and overheated boards. This has, in fact, been rare.

In vast majority of cases--the problems are:

1) Upgrade transformer
2) Replace a cap and a resistor, here and there.

At this time, after transformer upgrade, my Extreme runs cool and sounds wonderful. Absolutely no components were bad, despite my running 24/7 on weekends.

Have the amp inspected and go from there. Not a big deal to accomplish.

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #52 of 87
I have an early MPX3 Slam with point-to-point wiring.

I purchased from weeeeesquirrel who purchased from 'cotdt'.
cotdt owned it from new. Neither owner has reported any problems
and both seemed very happy with it.

I love the MPX3 and my aim is to keep it.

Right now the Transformer is too hot to touch after 1/2 hour and
I'm getting the whole unit looked at here in the UK.

Upgrades listed in sale:

Power Input adapter for 12Volt tubes
Noble Volume Pot
Cardas Quad-Eutectic Solder
Cardas Copper Litz Wire
Additional RCA Input(2 Total)
Giant 47mf 630VDC Solen Capacitor
Jensen Paper-In-Oil Coupling Capacitors
Blackgate Cathode Capacitors
Solid Silver Audio Circuit
Silver Teflon Power Capacitors
Upgraded cathode gain tube capacitors
Upgraded output capacitors (low ESR)

Aug 5, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #54 of 87
I have an Extreme, purchased used from fellow headfier in 2008. Works fine. Gets a bit hot though. Internally, the PCB says 'Feb 2007'

Aug 10, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #55 of 87
Own an mpx3. has worked fine, I like the sound of it and have always wanted to open it up, but don't have the right tool!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #56 of 87
I own a stock January 2007 Extreme.

Please read this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/war...e-read-437708/

It has very low hours on it and when I opened it up I found obvious signs of burning/over-heating of the transformer.

Consider having your unit checked out even if it is running well and sounds great.

Best,

Paul

Nov 10, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #59 of 87
Cotdt did not own your amp from new. He got the amp from me. I was the second owner getting the amp in a trade and I had the amp drop shipped to SP where the 12 volt option was added. The amp never ran hot when I owned the amp either .... which was around 2 years or so. Cotdt did a bunch of repair work for me and I gave him the MPX3. Was the voltage conversion done correctly for your locale?

Secondly, the output caps were not upgraded low ESR caps that I know of. The blackgate cathode caps ARE the upgraded cathode caps. Next, solid silver audio circuit? I dont think so on that one either. What you think is a second input is the loop out. If there is no selector switch then I know the second set of RCAs are the loop out. I am 99% certain I am talking about the same amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thathertz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an early MPX3 Slam with point-to-point wiring.

I purchased from weeeeesquirrel who purchased from 'cotdt'.
cotdt owned it from new. Neither owner has reported any problems
and both seemed very happy with it.

I love the MPX3 and my aim is to keep it.

Right now the Transformer is too hot to touch after 1/2 hour and
I'm getting the whole unit looked at here in the UK.

Upgrades listed in sale:

Power Input adapter for 12Volt tubes
Noble Volume Pot
Cardas Quad-Eutectic Solder
Cardas Copper Litz Wire
Additional RCA Input(2 Total)
Giant 47mf 630VDC Solen Capacitor
Jensen Paper-In-Oil Coupling Capacitors
Blackgate Cathode Capacitors
Solid Silver Audio Circuit
Silver Teflon Power Capacitors
Upgraded cathode gain tube capacitors
Upgraded output capacitors (low ESR)

Nov 11, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #60 of 87
Singlepower Extreme Platinum -- purchased in Spring 2007. Sent to Bolder Cable two months ago. Basically, Wayne has just started working on it. The transformer was failing and the board was a total design mess with multiple components melting. I was told it was only good for scrap and a complete rebuild using only the chassis would be cheaper than repairing the board. Repair costs likely to cost $1200, which I decided to go ahead with because I spent a fair amount on NOS 6SN7 tubes. Hope it sounds as good when it finally arrives back here. Probably should have just bought a new amp from Decware and forgotten about my NOS tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back