Singlepower amp registry
Dec 9, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #62 of 87
Own one of the first PPX3 units with a black chassis. It is an all-stock unit using 6CG7 tubes. Have never had an issue with it despite it being dragged to a meet and a cat dragging it off a dresser. It barely even runs warm to the touch and still sounds great, even if it's due for new tubes (I have a good stock of 6CG7 tubes though).

If it starts having issues I'll contact Wayne at Bolder Cable but I seriously doubt that the repair costs on this thing would be worthwhile and would likely exceed what I paid for it originally.

Dec 9, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #63 of 87
I've enjoyed the SQ for several years already, until I bought the Rudistor. Glad I ran into this thread finally.

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #64 of 87
I have an SDS-XLR and I'm kinda freaked out about all the reports about SP lately. My SDS-XLR just failed a few days ago and I can't get in touch with Mikhail and after reading around on here I'm starting to think I'm not going to be able to get in touch with Mikhail. In my case, I think it's just the power supply (not the actual amp) that failed since it simply won't turn on anymore.

Any advice as to what I should do?

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #65 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGhostWhoWalks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an SDS-XLR and I'm kinda freaked out about all the reports about SP lately. My SDS-XLR just failed a few days ago and I can't get in touch with Mikhail and after reading around on here I'm starting to think I'm not going to be able to get in touch with Mikhail. In my case, I think it's just the power supply (not the actual amp) that failed since it simply won't turn on anymore.

Find someone in your area who can work on the amp. Do not send it back to Mikhail, even if he agrees to fix it. he took mine back and broke contact over ayear ago and now i cant even get the amp fixed elsewhere. Where are you located? I'm sure someone here can help lead you to a reliable tech.

Feb 18, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #66 of 87
I'm in Oklahoma City and don't know of any techs around since I've never needed any.

Feb 19, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #67 of 87
Quote:

Check the fuse.

Feb 19, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #68 of 87
Quote:

I'm in Oklahoma City and don't know of any techs around since I've never needed any.

If its not the fuse, like sacd lover recommended. Just find any of the high end audio shops in your area and I am sure they can point you a good direction. You can always post on AudiogoN high-end Audio for sale, high end HiFi classifieds, audiophile auctions, audio forums in the amps/preamps section asking if anyone knows a tech in your area.

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #69 of 87
Quote:

If the fuse is not the problem, contact Bolder Cable in Denver. He has made a small business of fixing SP amps. The power supplies/rectifiers that SP built seem to be the weakest link in the chain.

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #70 of 87
Hi all,

I have a 2005 MPX3-12SN7. No issues except for a low level hum. Going to get it checked out just to make sure. I don't want my head to pop off.
eek.gif

Paul

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #71 of 87
I have a Singlepower Extreme that I bought from Bob McBob a member on this site. I have never had a problem so far but it is not used much these days.
I will be cracking the case open to see if there are any issues.
I will be taking it to a tech regardless of what I find.

Thanks to all of those that have ensured that this issue is fully exposed and that all of the Singlepower owners are given fair warning.

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #72 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophilehi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

I have a 2005 MPX3-12SN7. No issues except for a low level hum. Going to get it checked out just to make sure. I don't want my head to pop off.
eek.gif

Paul

Good News, I got a clean bill of health from Wayne at Bolder Cable.
bigsmile_face.gif
He did add a resister to each side of the huge capacitor.

Paul

Apr 17, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #73 of 87
I bought the SinglePower MPX3 SLAM off AudiogoN listed 04/03/2010.
It is well built. i took the base off to peek inside. Very nice job. Everything well done.
So? Listening right now. I'll see if it explodes!
i can't wait to call 911: My headphone amp exploded .. boiling fire!!
Anyone know where I can find some instructions etc on this. Got a pile of tubes, but no instructions.. nothing with it. Using 6BL7's. After about an hour the trans case is barely warm, the base is warm on the side near the tranny, but it seems like it is doing OK (I like having something notorious.)
Wish me luck.

Apr 17, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #74 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the SinglePower MPX3 SLAM off AudiogoN listed 04/03/2010.
It is well built. i took the base off to peek inside. Very nice job. Everything well done.
So? Listening right now. I'll see if it explodes!
i can't wait to call 911: My headphone amp exploded .. boiling fire!!
Anyone know where I can find some instructions etc on this. Got a pile of tubes, but no instructions.. nothing with it. Using 6BL7's. After about an hour the trans case is barely warm, the base is warm on the side near the tranny, but it seems like it is doing OK (I like having something notorious.)
Wish me luck.

Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

So are you using a trio of 6BL7 tubes, or a pair of 6BL7 outputs with a different gain tube? You need to verify that your transformer is spec'd for the enough 6V current draw from the tube heaters. Each 6BL7 draws 1.5A, which is a lot. A 6sn7 draws only 0.6A. Three 6BL7 would require a very stout transformer, and a 6BL7 isn't the best sounding gain tube, anyways (2c51/396a with adapter was best IMO).

Also if it's a "high voltage" version or has a mysterious 2-setting knob with no other obvious purpose, then unfortunately that is probably dangerous (exceeding specs of the parts inside, especially output caps)
frown.gif

When verified safe and working, many of these amps should be excellent sounding, at least! The SDS I had for so long was the best sounding headphone amp I've ever heard.

You have a decent tube tech nearby that you can tap?

Apr 17, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #75 of 87
Whoo HOO I DO have the mysterious knob in the back (it does seem to vary the power to the tubes) I switched to 6SN7s and the output tube you suggested (the 2C51/adapter came with the amp) Too bad the seller sent me a huge pile of 6BL7s I had to steal a pair of 6SN7s from a buffer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back