Singlepower amp registry
Mar 18, 2009 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 87

mattigol

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone, haven't posted for a long time. As the owner of a humble 2005 PPX3 SLAM I feel incredibly sorry for all those people that got burned by SP's business practices of late. For all of those who actually received an amp, someone in another thread suggested that it may be a pragmatic solution to find a repair guy different from Mikhail to make sure the amp, once faulty, doesn't end up in an infinite loop of unkept delivery dates and promises, but is returned in a timely manner.

So I figure it might me a good idea to start a Singlepower amp registry right here on head-fi.org, in a structured effort to find out how big the SP customer base really is and to attract someone with the necessary skills to take on the job. Maybe we will even find different people on different continents to keep postage reasonable.

What do you all think?

Matthias

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #2 of 87
You're in Germany or South Australia? If you are in Germany, you can start by going to shops where they sell tube gear and inquire about local tube techs. That is what I did in Copenhagen. Another way is to ask on local DIY forums. The PPX through the Supra line are not "alien" circuits. A trained tech can trouble shoot or help you mod these amps without schematics.

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 87
I got my SP Dragon repaired very easily ... Technician told me it's very easy to repair a tube amp.

Cost me 1.5 hrs time (most of the time was just for drilling the screw to be able to open the case!) The Dragon is a 2 box unit.

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #5 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cost me 1.5 hrs time (most of the time was just for drilling the screw to be able to open the case!) The Dragon is a 2 box unit.

Yes, i think SP uses a torque wrench. By the way, does anyone know if those are 1/16" or .05" hex heads or not? I stripped the sockets getting mine out and am in Denmark and can find no non-metric socket heads. I don't want to have to tap new metric threads, if i don't have to?

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #6 of 87
I think its a good idea!
Collecting a list of all the Singlepower amplifiers around here.

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 87
Is it that we want to list the owners or find repair options in different geography?

I have a Platinum with Blackgate output caps. 1/07 ($2038) ECC1 and 2c51 adapters.

You know, this would be the only place where you could list extras that was put into your amp. Buying doesn't show a serial # and no means of knowing what was put into the amp. When you go to sell it, how can the customer know if what you say is in there short of pulling covers and taking pics? Especially if SP don't have a method of build information.

I took my cover off to confirm build but thought it strange SP never had a method of permanently IDing a unit's build.

20090321-123842.jpg

Mar 19, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #8 of 87
Quote:

Is it that we want to list the owners or find repair options in different geography?

I guess both. Sort of a Singlepower service thread. Until we come up with a repair scheme of our own, we try to collect all SP amps owned by head-fi members in this thread and discuss faulty units. This may or may not prompt someone out there with a bit of a background in tube amps to step up and take the job.

I mean what have we got to lose? Void the warranty?
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 87
I have 2 which are in my sig. I think it's a good idea as well.

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 87
I have an MPX3, with way to many mods.

> Stock MPX3: $1299
> 2nd Input: $99
> Pre-amp out: $119
> Gold Point Attenuator: $295
> Solen Power Upgrade: $69
> Black Gate Output Caps: $400
> V-Caps Coupling Caps: $400
> Supra Transformer: $400
> Two 2,400 uF caps: $299 (this are even larger than the stock Supra caps)
> Blackgate Bypass Capacitors: $169
> GRAND TOTAL OF: $3549

BTW, if I had not opened my amp when it was delivered I would not have known that one the mods I had paid for had not been installed. Back it went, upon its return I re-opened and confirmed all the work had been done.

SinglepowerMPX3.jpg

DSCN0185.jpg

Mar 21, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 87
I own a Singlepower MPX3 SE SLAM that I purchased from luvdunhill a few months ago. I love the amp and have had no problems (and either did luvdunhill). I have just begun tube rolling, wish me luck.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #12 of 87
This is an amp registry thread. I've just deleted 19 posts that were not on topic.

There are plenty of other threads to discuss Singlepower amp construction issues (the ins and outs and what have yous). Let's keep this thread on topic or the information that may otherwise be gained will become completely lost in the mess.

Mar 21, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #13 of 87
I have a modified SP MPX Slam SE located in Copenhagen. I purchased it early in 2007.

Mar 21, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #14 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is an amp registry thread. I've just deleted 19 posts that were not on topic.

Thanks very much.

I have a Singlepower Supra, and it is the stock model with no upgrades. Purchased in 2004.

Mar 21, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #15 of 87
I have a stock EXTREME that was purchased from a member here from the Bay Area. Sorry, don't remember who since the crash all my messages are gone. I have had no problems and still enjoy this amp very much.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back