Single & Multi Dynamic Driver Only IEM Discussion Thread
Oct 1, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #151 of 164
That in itself sounds promising, and it also looks like there's no bass boost to speak of which is another plus for me. Given the roll-off at higher frequencies, do you perceive it as such, as in not being airy enough and not having enough sparkle to realistically reproduce violins, cymbals, hi-hats, etcetera?

drftr

Here's my personal review if you're interested:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/roc...-favorites-on-first-page.957426/post-16462785

It's got really nice instrumental timbre in general. I'n not a real "connessieur" of cymbals etc. so might not be the best person to ask. Highs are generally the weakest aspect of any single DD but the highs on Isa are very nice imho.

Oct 1, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #152 of 164
Just contributing my favorite dynamic driver IEM... the Turii. Not just best dynamic, best IEM I've ever heard by a good margin

Softears Turii_100121.jpg

Oct 1, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #153 of 164
Just contributing my favorite dynamic driver IEM... the Turii. Not just best dynamic, best IEM I've ever heard by a good margin

Softears Turii_100121.jpg
Wished I had the budget... Do you have experience with it's smaller brother, the RSV, by any chance? Both the RSV and the 7Hz are on my shortlist (together with the Kiwi Ears Orchestra and FiiO FD7) and I would love to find out more about their differences. I am about to decide to drop the 7Hz from that list due to (apparent) shortcomings in imaging, which I think is a No when listening to a lot of orchestral and small ensemble recordings.

drftr

Oct 1, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #154 of 164
Turii definitely on my radar along with Dark Sky - and of course Zen Pro!

Oct 1, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #155 of 164
Wished I had the budget... Do you have experience with it's smaller brother, the RSV, by any chance? Both the RSV and the 7Hz are on my shortlist (together with the Kiwi Ears Orchestra and FiiO FD7) and I would love to find out more about their differences. I am about to decide to drop the 7Hz from that list due to (apparent) shortcomings in imaging, which I think is a No when listening to a lot of orchestral and small ensemble recordings.

drftr

I did have the RSV as well (sold because didn't need to keep it w/ Turii in the house). It's amazing too, but I think the Turii does everything better (except for isolation). The Turii is so resolving it actually makes it seem like the RSV is somewhat blurry in its detail presentation in back-to-back listening.

Oct 1, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #156 of 164
I did have the RSV as well (sold because didn't need to keep it w/ Turii in the house). It's amazing too, but I think the Turii does everything better (except for isolation). The Turii is so resolving it actually makes it seem like the RSV is somewhat blurry in its detail presentation in back-to-back listening.
Thoughts on neutrality and rhythmic capabilities (as in musicality, engagement) for the Timeless and the RSV?

drftr

Oct 1, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #157 of 164
That one I can't really comment on since I sold the RSV a while ago. It would be just going from memory with the RSV unfortunately.

Oct 1, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #158 of 164

I keep hoping a North American vendor will distribute for SoftEars eventually. I just won't send that kind of money to the current vendors; those sellers, for me, are for sub-$100-type purchases. YMMV.

Nov 15, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #159 of 164
What are some interesting multi dd iems out there (other than the 3dt because that treble is tuned too spicy for me)? Also interested in pure beryllium type dd iems, I was under the impression diamond/dlc/cnt was better than beryllium cause those materials had a higher speed of sound and youngs modulus but beryllium is also much lighter. Ive also learned that softer materials are better for lower distortion in the bass frequencies, and vice versa. I think a multi dd iem that takes these design principles into account would be really neat, like the UM 3DT. Using a soft material DD for bass like some sort of graphite fiber silk paper dome long stroke dd like the one used in the penon orb plus something like a beryllium or dlc driver for the upper ranges would be cool. I would like to see a "totl" iem based around these principles instead of trying to stuff as many different driver types into an iem. Maybe a 3+ DD iem with graphite fiber dd for lows + beryillium dd for mids and diamond dd for highs? Would easily make for a super low distortion iem, if the drivers are crossed over well. Adding EST drivers for the ultra highs could be considered maybe but im not sure if that would make it a better iem, im of the mindset adding things you dont need will ultimately take away more than it adds.

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #160 of 164
What are some interesting multi dd iems out there (other than the 3dt because that treble is tuned too spicy for me)? Also interested in pure beryllium type dd iems, I was under the impression diamond/dlc/cnt was better than beryllium cause those materials had a higher speed of sound and youngs modulus but beryllium is also much lighter. Ive also learned that softer materials are better for lower distortion in the bass frequencies, and vice versa. I think a multi dd iem that takes these design principles into account would be really neat, like the UM 3DT. Using a soft material DD for bass like some sort of graphite fiber silk paper dome long stroke dd like the one used in the penon orb plus something like a beryllium or dlc driver for the upper ranges would be cool. I would like to see a "totl" iem based around these principles instead of trying to stuff as many different driver types into an iem. Maybe a 3+ DD iem with graphite fiber dd for lows + beryillium dd for mids and diamond dd for highs? Would easily make for a super low distortion iem, if the drivers are crossed over well. Adding EST drivers for the ultra highs could be considered maybe but im not sure if that would make it a better iem, im of the mindset adding things you dont need will ultimately take away more than it adds.

Penon have just released more info for their triple DD, the Serial (it’s in the Penon thread). With the Penon house sound, the treble shouldn’t be too spicy. Price should be announced this week. On the budget end of the spectrum there’s the KZ DQ6 which is well regarded by other forum members and at a very accessible price.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #161 of 164
There's the qdc Dmagic 3D that got excellent reviews at the time.

drftr

Nov 15, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #162 of 164

Have you tried playing with the Moondrop/Tanchjim filters to tame 3DT's treble? A lot of people seem to love it after a simple mod.
5F60FB2D-BDBD-4B46-A0A1-D2FC238AC4A9.jpeg

Credit to tgx

Oct 17, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #163 of 164
Thinking of a single DD or even a double DD, what do you play do you think better than Oriolus Isabellae?
I have read great things about PERPETUAL FINGERS. Is it possible to make a comparison with Isabellae?

Oct 17, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #164 of 164
Such a hidden gem! Unique melody 3dd-ti. Slapping a tube amp made it shine so much!
20221011_155833.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back