Since they are now official: Nano 4G and iPod Touch 2G Sound Quality Thread
Oct 12, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #406 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess that was the main attraction of the touch over the nano for me: Internet browsing.

When you manage to get on in a hotspot it is really cool, but for that I could get a Nokia N810, & have a slide out keyboard. Was really sad to take it back, now I gotta' deal w/the "I told ya' so's" about the SQ - meh!!! I so wanted to like it, it really is a great device as a whole.

Oct 12, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #407 of 461
Being in a city where unsecured hotspots abound, I guess that's one reason why I like the Touch so far. I also agree with psikey about the SQ. Sounds pretty damn good to my ears. I have been swapping it out with the Zune80 and Sony (older model, A818) since it arrived, and it more than holds its own. I stayed away from Apple's marketing minions until the Touch came along, and the wifi avail pushed me over the edge (anyone remember Apple's "Lemmings" ad during the Super Bowl? back in 1984?). So no regrets here. I have decided to load up the Zune80 with movies and video (Cucusoft is the way to go), with 20-30GB of music. After reading about the Nokia, doesn't seem it has the flexibility/feature set of the Touch. I don't care about the keyboard much, cause to me typing on small keyboards sux no matter whether then are touchscreen or like the ones on the Nokia.

Oct 12, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #408 of 461
I got my Touch mainly for the wifi/video capabilities, but chucked a few albums on just to see what it sounded like compared with my Sony/Zune... and I didn't think it compared favourably at all. What I will say, is that it performed better with a cheap pair of CX300's than my TF10 OR my Image X10 (which I re-bought and am selling again!!)

Whether it's the impedance thing, I don't know - but the Image (50ohms) sounded very average with the Touch, and the TF10's (27ohms) only slightly better. But the CX300 (16ohms) gave it some energy that was completely missing before. I was quite surprised that a cheapo pair of earphones would match better than a decent pair! The sq jumped from 5/10 to 7/10!

Having said that, the CX300 sound really horrible with the Sony and Zune (to my ears, anyway) - but at least, finally, they've found something better to do than to hang off the doorknob for a change
biggrin.gif

I think the Touch is okay for casual listening outside in the garden when I'm playing around with the wifi - but I definitely couldn't/wouldn't use it for long-term listening. The soundstage is too narrow and the EQ presets are all poop. But I love the Touch as an overall gadget. It's my favourite toy at the moment
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #409 of 461
On your advice Sooz, I tried the CX300s with the Touch, and using the Comply T400 foamies, it did sound good. But I can't say the Senns sounded better than the Images or the Sleeks. I like the Image/Touch combo, in fact, but especially with the cheap FiiO E3 amp in the mix. Funny, my idea is to use the Zune as my primary video player and the Touch as more of a music/game/email machine (since it's got the wifi option). Still will use the Sony, of course, for walking, light listening (in terms of bulk), etc. It's nice to have so many great options.

Sorry bout the X10 disappointment again. Hope is wasn't my fault you indulged in them again. I just love the comfort and ease of use, as much as the SQ.

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #413 of 461
touchs, iphone and all DAP from apple has most horrible EQ of all DAP
wink.gif
(IMO)... dont ever touch it...

aside from hiss improvmnt from 2g touch is there any significant imrovmnt in overall SQ?

Oct 16, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #414 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by knights /img/forum/go_quote.gif
touchs, iphone and all DAP from apple has most horrible EQ of all DAP
wink.gif
(IMO)... dont ever touch it...

aside from hiss improvmnt from 2g touch is there any significant imrovmnt in overall SQ?

yup. sounds much better than the ipod video (un-rockboxed) and leaps and bounds superior than the ipod classic/ipod nano 3g. the only thing i hate about the 2g touch is its coverflow feature...its not as responsive as the ipod nano 4g. maybe next firmware update they could update the touch's accelerometer.

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #415 of 461
dont ever touch the EQ of ANY apple product.

i dont even know why they persevere and leave it there. its totally and utterly rubbish.

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #416 of 461
i also dont agree on the touch2 sounding "leaps and bounds" better than the ipod classic.

they both sound fairly similar in the limited time i had to play with one. my nano 4g sounds ridiculously similar to my ipod classic 160 however

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #417 of 461
Are any 2G Touch users successfully using a LOD?

I recently picked up one of the adapters so I could use the silver mini to mini I use with my D2 and it works fine for anything between 30sec to 10 minutes or so then the track playing will stop and the Touch will then only work with HO or speaker. Sometimes if I do a complete shutdown and reboot it will start working again but once again only for a short time.

I thought there may be some background service shutting off in sleep mode like wi-fi does but the timing seems to be a little inconsistent for that. It does not seem to make any difference if features like wi-fi, push or auto screen lock etc. are enabled or disabled.

Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated.

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #418 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by psikey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Sena case arrived today (not recieved the InvisibleShield & Brando protector yet).

Fits like a gloove. Doesn't even fall out if I turn it upside down due to closeness of the fit.

how are you liking the Sena slim leather slip case? I picked one up today from the apple store when I exchanged my USB charger due to the recall. After putting it on once or twice it seems like the fit is too tight and it is difficult to both get the iPod touch all the way in and also pull it out. I think part of the problem is that I have the invisible shield installed on the pack of my ipod, making the back of my iPod a little more grippy than usual. But I really do not like the fit of the case and will probably return it. Does the fit loosen much with use?

How about those vaja cases? Is the fit on those better? I see that the seams of their simple slip case are on the outside and not the inside. The Sena case has the seams on the inside which contribute a lot to the tight fit I think.

Ruahrc

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #419 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by tadad1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are any 2G Touch users successfully using a LOD?

I recently picked up one of the adapters so I could use the silver mini to mini I use with my D2 and it works fine for anything between 30sec to 10 minutes or so then the track playing will stop and the Touch will then only work with HO or speaker. Sometimes if I do a complete shutdown and reboot it will start working again but once again only for a short time.

I thought there may be some background service shutting off in sleep mode like wi-fi does but the timing seems to be a little inconsistent for that. It does not seem to make any difference if features like wi-fi, push or auto screen lock etc. are enabled or disabled.

Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated.

I find that you have to plug the adapter in when the touch is fully off before turning it on to get a Line out signal.

Oct 17, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #420 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that you have to plug the adapter in when the touch is fully off before turning it on to get a Line out signal.

Thanks, the line out still seems to shutdown after a short period of time and revert back to SP\HO. So you are able to use your adapter for extended periods of time without problems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back