Since they are now official: Nano 4G and iPod Touch 2G Sound Quality Thread
Sep 12, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #46 of 461
No rush here. I have plenty to listen to already, and I need to do some serious re-ripping and converting from WMA to MP3, since I believe iTunes no longer converts WMAs to MP3s, which it used to do. I have like 60GB of music, so I need to decide which tracks I want to make available for the Touch. We have a 5.5g 30GB model in the house, and I have the iBook for managing data (no way do I want to put iTunes on my Windows machines), but I need to move the music over to the iBook from one of my USB HDs. So I have some work to do. Plus, if I bought from Apple, I would have to pay sales tax, since they have stores in PA. With Amazon, no sales tax and free shipping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should have got it from the official apple site. I got mine overnight.

Sep 12, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #47 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by michiel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple iPod nano Fourth-Generation (8GB/16GB) | iLounge

The single biggest audio change to the iPod nano isn’t one that’s glaringly apparent, or even touted by Apple, but it’s there: the sound chip has changed. Months ago, long-time iPod audio chip supplier Wolfson Micro made clear—with minimal discretion—that its chips were not going to be included in either the upcoming iPod nano or iPod touch refreshes, which were then unknown. Lo and behold, the new devices arrived, and they sound like the 2007 iPod classic—they’re cleaner, with a nearly non-existent static noise floor that’s as well-suited to audiophile-grade earphones as free pack-ins. That’s really good news for those who hope to use their nanos with better headphones; the fourth-generation model is definitely the best-sounding iPod nano yet.

Yes I am really interested to hear the LO of the new nano-touch, because the current touch has a sweet sounding LO. I'll buy one to compare myself as soon as BB has one.

Sep 13, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #48 of 461
What I want to know is... can you actually turn the volume all the way down to silence, or is it like the 160GB Classic, where minimum volume still plays (and with sensitive headphones, rather loudly).

Sep 13, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #49 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by michiel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple iPod nano Fourth-Generation (8GB/16GB) | iLounge

The single biggest audio change to the iPod nano isn’t one that’s glaringly apparent, or even touted by Apple, but it’s there: the sound chip has changed. Months ago, long-time iPod audio chip supplier Wolfson Micro made clear—with minimal discretion—that its chips were not going to be included in either the upcoming iPod nano or iPod touch refreshes, which were then unknown. Lo and behold, the new devices arrived, and they sound like the 2007 iPod classic—they’re cleaner, with a nearly non-existent static noise floor that’s as well-suited to audiophile-grade earphones as free pack-ins. That’s really good news for those who hope to use their nanos with better headphones; the fourth-generation model is definitely the best-sounding iPod nano yet.

for some reason I'd rather a review from someone other than 'ilounge' Thats kinda like getting a review of nike shoes from 'the nike shop'...two different entities ...but come on..

Still apple audio chips are looked at a lot more closely than the other brands out there. with the other brands all you get it ' it sounds fantastic' with apple you get a microscope saying ' the cirrus logic chip lacks spatial timber and frequency modulation....as far as i know (what ive read here) the cirrus chips are more balanced. giving better treble bass and mids over all. there is still recessed bass and a little roll off ... but most of this is fxed with a dock. the result is a player which is closely tied with an imod in sound...yes?

Sep 13, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #50 of 461
Vinnie R said this about the new classics

Quote:

The 6G is a little thinner sounding in comparison. The line-out voltage of the 6G is a little lower... approx 0.75Vrms and I tried my best to compensate for this by measing the output voltage at the speakers (using a 1kHz sine wave to calibrate). This took some time to do so I couldn't do any fast A/B switching in this comparison, so keep this in mind. Long story short, I'm keeping my 5.5G iMod, but of course I am also a little biased!

Based on these findings of the 6G iMod Classic, I'm thinking it is not worth modding them because it not nearly as much "stuff" in the signal path between the dac and the dock connector as the 4G, 5G, and 5.5G units, so you can't expect the get nearly the same kind of benefit.

edit he also said this ":No measured bass roll-off issues under load. There are only a few tiny surface mount resistors/inductors in the signal path." so there is no bass roll off then? he does also go on to say that signal/sound is a little thinner and the output voltage from the dock has less power

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #53 of 461
ok/ did u not read the quote from vinnie r from red wine audio on the rpevious page?

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #54 of 461
You can't automatically relate the sound quality of the 4G Nano and 2G Touch to the 6G Classic based on the opinions of a single website (CNET/iLounge, whichever it was)...

Sep 13, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #55 of 461
Actually the SQ of ipod 6G classic has major issues. I quoted this directly from wikipedia.
Quote:

According to certain tests performed both by hearing and through computer analysis of the sound, the 6th Generation iPods lack sound quality in the mid range, and produces less spatial information (i.e. stereo sound plays 'inside your head' instead of 'outside') due to higher impulse in the treble compared with 5G.[5][6] Apple has not yet commented on this problem.

A firmware update, 1.1.1, released by Apple for the iPod Classic is said to, among other things, improve the sound quality. [7] However, no details on these improvements were given on the Apple website.

Another later update, 1.1.2, is shown to correct bug fixes, but is nonetheless another minor update.

That and Wolfson chips were always regarded as one of the best audio chips available. Yet iLounge are suddenly giving them the shaft in favour of Cirrus Logic chips. That seems highly biased to me.

Sep 13, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #56 of 461
apple have since 2004 been getting better and better. i am sure that this is top notch. my 3g nano though having similar bass roll off to many playres out there just sounds better.

apple just don't advertise sq: they leave it up to us to figure out: which is a mistake as we prefer companies to tell us it sounds good.

Sep 13, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #57 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That and Wolfson chips were always regarded as one of the best audio chips available. Yet iLounge are suddenly giving them the shaft in favour of Cirrus Logic chips. That seems highly biased to me.

If you don't believe iLounge read the old threads about the iPod classic 1G, the first iPod to use a Cirrus Logic chip, which was regarded as the best sounding iPod to date. I'd like to see the results of a test that shows problems in the mid-range since the frequency response tests I've seen are very flat (just a 0,1 dB difference in high frequencies if I remember correctly).

Sep 13, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #58 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by me7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't believe iLounge read the old threads about the iPod classic 1G, the first iPod to use a Cirrus Logic chip, which was regarded as the best sounding iPod to date. I'd like to see the results of a test that shows problems in the mid-range since the frequency response tests I've seen are very flat (just a 0,1 dB difference in high frequencies if I remember correctly).

The source is here
Measurements

Actually the ipod 6G classic had more issues regarding the SQ. Some of them were appearantly solved with firmware updates like the hissing for example.

Sep 13, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #59 of 461
You have good reason to upgrade your headphones: According to our tests, the latest iPod Nano improves its audio output as compared with its predecessor, jumping up a notch to receive a rating of Superior on the PC World Test Center's suite of audio tests. The Nano, together with its new Touch sibling, are our new leaders in our audio output results

Sep 13, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #60 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trager /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I want to know is... can you actually turn the volume all the way down to silence, or is it like the 160GB Classic, where minimum volume still plays (and with sensitive headphones, rather loudly).

This is 1 question I'd like answered myself, as no one seems to really be able to answer it yet. Please test this out when possible as I'm gonna' run to Circuit City on the date of availability if this was handled and make em' a sale!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back