SimpleBest PSU/chassis for RPI4
Jul 15, 2020 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

FredA

Headphoneus Supremus
This is a discussion thread for a new product coming from China, made by a new cie run by a friend of Kingwa's, owner of audio-gd.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 80
Got my SimpleBest (owned by a friend of Kingwa's) class-a RPI power supply ( http://www.simplebest-gd.com/jldysmpbfq). The unit is big and runs hot but delivers a very analog and resolved sound when used on my Allo Usbridge Signature (I requested a 5.5/2.1 output for this purpose). The upgrade is quite significant compared to two other very good psus i got on ebay. I was not expecting that big an improvement, it is about 2-3 times what i expected. Dynamics are betters while the sound is more relaxed.

I got the unit graciously, but this will not change my usual honest approach of telling exactly what is on my mind.

I am really enjoying the unit as it is bringing new details forward in the rendition, quite amazingly.

The unit looks better in person than on the website. I will post pictures later. I hope SimpleBest makes other units not meant to receive a RPI as this one in the future, this would allow using a smaller chassis, this one is big. I would certainly like a 12v unit for my ocxo.

Please take note that the unit is for the latest raspberry pis (4th gen) , like the rpi4b.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 80
I was also sent a +5V power supply/ rpi4 chassis for test and review. It’s a brute and weighs many kilograms. R-core transformer, class A linear regulator. +5V output jack. The Rasberry pi 4 board fits neatly inside. The parts quality is above average. Needs some room as it runs warm. Will try to post pictures soon.

Is there any pricing? I have no idea how much it costs.

Jul 15, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 80
The simplebest RPi4 PSU tagged as RMB 1100 yuan at the promotion period(link) in Kingwa's bbs.audio-gd.com, but Mr. Feng hasn't posted its shipping fee. His power supply filters were also recommended by a post in bbs.audio-gd.com(but I haven't found it today.).

Jul 15, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 80
I didn't get anything - hmm covid delays I guess

I wonder how this 21watt LPS compares to the 200watt stuff on the market.
Depends on what you drive. Once booted, those small headless computer do not draw much power. I am very pleased with it so far. The Usbridge sig greatly benefits IMO.

Jul 15, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 80
I was also sent a +5V power supply/ rpi4 chassis for test and review. It’s a brute and weighs many kilograms. R-core transformer, class A linear regulator. +5V output jack. The Rasberry pi 4 board fits neatly inside. The parts quality is above average. Needs some room as it runs warm. Will try to post pictures soon.

Is there any pricing? I have no idea how much it costs.
Yes, the enclosure is weighty, looks pretty good. The transformer is beefy at 60VA. It is nicely assembled with good components. It's an excellent value no doubt.

Jul 16, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #10 of 80
Hi,
I am also a Simple Best Raspberry Pi PSU tester. At first Mr Feng had design the PSU with a toroid transformer. Kingwa advised him to replace it with an R-core transformer instead for our testing. The purpose with the R-core transformer is that it produces a more resolved and balanced sound in the whole spectra 20-20kHz (and wider).
The toroid version is said to still be a choice for those liking a more raving, bassy and a little warmer sound. For me liking classical and acoustic music the R-core is best.

I am still burning in so I will wait a few more days before saying too much but I can already state that the Simple Best RP4 PSU improves on everything compared to Raspberry Pi's own stck, switched PSU's.

As @FredA said, I also bought a Power Filter (EU version). I put it to work yesterday. Before connecting it I took a look inside and it is a neat and professional impression I got.
Same thing with this power filter. I will let it burn in for a period. It is full summer here and a lot of outdoor activities right now so I need some rainy days for these testings.

More to come...

Jul 16, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #11 of 80
When you guys testing the PSU, are you still connect to DI-20HE, or just plain USB to DAC. Please state the configuration.

I always think the quality of the front end has less effects on DI-20HE, as DI re-generates the signal.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #13 of 80
I have never used a power filter but I thought that in general- that clarity is improved but dynamics are lost when using a filter...

Is that true?
that sums it up for me. And many power cords seem to behave like a power conditioner as well (longer cords even more so). Those that filter more can handle dirty recordings better (ie: loud with less headroom) while those that are more ?transparent? have that jump/wow factor might make those same songs un-listenable.

Jul 16, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #14 of 80
I have never used a power filter but I thought that in general- that clarity is improved but dynamics are lost when using a filter...

Is that true?

I don't know yet. Others here may have experience to share. I am learning with this purchase. I used DC blocking on the power amps (Master 2's). -50dB on HE-1 and the Master 3. -70dB for Dac's, CD-transport, Master clock, DDC's (DI20HE, MC3+USB, U16, Simple Best RPi Player, A couple of more RP4-players via LPS). And finally a Raspberry Pi3B+ player with its own stock switched PSU, outside the power filter.

We will see how this matures. I will report here in this thread

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back