SimpleBest PSU/chassis for RPI4
Jul 16, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #16 of 80
@jimmychan has a clear point in testing to feed Amanero/XMOS direct to the dac without the reclocking. This beside feeding the DI20/HE.
I agree with @FredA, I also was surprised by the impact of just a PSU compared to the original switched RP PSU...and this with the DI20HE..

Jul 16, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #17 of 80
The DI-20 is very much affected by the input in spite of it's regeneration.

If I disconnect the v-bus and only keep the data line of the USB from my MAC MINI to the DI-20HE- the difference is quite noticable.

Also- I use a very inexpensive ($50) Jitterbug filter on the USB ouput of my MAC MINI usb port and again the difference is very noticeable with and without the filter.

My conclusion:
The DI-20 is not AT ALL immune to what comes before it...

Jul 16, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #19 of 80
The DI-20 is very much affected by the input in spite of it's regeneration.

If I disconnect the v-bus and only keep the data line of the USB from my MAC MINI to the DI-20HE- the difference is quite noticable.

Also- I use a very inexpensive ($50) Jitterbug filter on the USB ouput of my MAC MINI usb port and again the difference is very noticeable with and without the filter.

My conclusion:
The DI-20 is not AT ALL immune to what comes before it...
It is a matter of timing. The amanero implementation is not the absolute best on the market. But it is robust. The di is less senstive than the f1 or u16.

For one thing, I think the di20 is less sensitive to ground loops cause the intona (original) is of no help with it.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #20 of 80
The SimpleBest continues to suprise me tonight. The music is flowing crisply and smoothly.

The di20's 4.07beta fw is somewhat bright (with the external clock} but the SimpleBest psu makes the highs better, so the combination is really enjoyable. It's got pace and awesome timbres.

Allo usbridge - > di20he (morion mv89a) -> r7he- > he9 - > m3. I am looking forward to Kingwa's next di20 fw, it should give a better balance, but still, i can't complain.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #21 of 80
I am listening to Paul Desmond Bossa Antigua right now. I have enjoyed this album quite a lot lately, but tonight i hear more texture, more of everything. Tonight is maybe the thousandth time, but it feels fresh, almost like new. The SB psu together with the usbridge sig make for a great transport. I can't go to bed. This combination of smoothness, sharpness and texture is addictive. Music is lively. This is what i like about audio-gd: the music is the main attraction. Neutral means anything but boring. The 4.07 fw is at its best with the SB. I am getting attached to this hot red-eyed black box. You should hear the guitar on Girl From East 9th Street. Juicy.

Jul 17, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #22 of 80
Finally have the Rpi 4 working in the Simple Best power supply. Wireless Ethernet, USB to the DI20HE, and Volumio controlled by the iPad. Sound is good but just got it working so let the burn in begin (again). Here are some pictures..

FrontView
SB_Front.jpg

Rear View
SB_Rear.jpg

Power supply
SB_Power.jpg

Rasberry Pi 4 mounted
SB_Rpi.jpg

Jul 17, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #23 of 80
FredA/DACLadder,

If and when you have a chance, wonder if you may know or test for the following info:

1, what exact voltage does it provide, that is, 5.1 or above?
2, what is the max constant current (ampere) that it can sustain? It does say 60VA on the R-Core, just not sure if it translate to anywhere close to the rating of the transformer.
3, is the connecting USB C cable long enough to be used for an outside RPi? I am thinking about using it for an Allo USBridge. It does look like there is a barrel type connection at the back of the unit above th DC 5V label, is this the case?
4, fully enclosed by the metal/aluminium case, still wifi works good?

Thanks.

Jul 17, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #24 of 80
@Jandu:
I can answer
1. My read is 5.15 V with rp4 as load
2. The PSU is designed for 2A. Transformer has higher capacity but electronics limits and it is on purpose to get a balanced sound.
3. No. A good quality USB A to USB C cable should work
4. Yes, WiFi works fine with good field strength
/Jan

Jul 17, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #25 of 80
@Jandu

1. Voltage on the rear jack measures +5.209V. Center (+).
2. I believe the current rating is 2A. I‘m just guessing browsing Chinese language documentation.
3. FredA is using the USBridge with the supply. It is 5.5/2.1mm jack on the rear (paper label).
4. My wireless Ethernet router is in the same room. Range is TBD. An external SMA antenna jack on the rear would be nice.

Jul 17, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #26 of 80
@Jandu

1. Voltage on the rear jack measures +5.209V. Center (+).
2. I believe the current rating is 2A. I‘m just guessing browsing Chinese language documentation.
3. FredA is using the USBridge with the supply. It is 5.5/2.1mm jack on the rear (paper label).
4. My wireless Ethernet router is in the same room. Range is TBD. An external SMA antenna jack on the rear would be nice.
The 5.5/2.1 is not standard AFAIK. You have to ask for it.

Jul 18, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #28 of 80
Finally have the Rpi 4 working in the Simple Best power supply. Wireless Ethernet, USB to the DI20HE, and Volumio controlled by the iPad. Sound is good but just got it working so let the burn in begin (again). Here are some pictures..

FrontView
SB_Front.jpg

Rear View
SB_Rear.jpg

Power supply
SB_Power.jpg

Rasberry Pi 4 mounted
SB_Rpi.jpg
How much is the price of this unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back