simple fiio e7/e9 question
Jul 31, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #31 of 41

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion Micca. I tried line-jack and this is what I got:

Sound still only comes out of the one right channel, but if I leave a cable plugged in half-way into the jack, I can hear out of both drivers. If I do a stereo test to see if the setup is working on my computer, it will play both channels, but now it shows that it's playing the right channel from both sides with no sound from the left. Basically, it sounds like it's in mono. Does that make sense? Also, I don't know if this has to do with what I tried, but I can hear background static from the amp now.

So far, I haven't been able to tell what exactly the DAC changes in the music. This is from playing FLAC through my K601's, so I don't think there's anything that would hinder me from hearing a difference. Of course, I'm not going to make a definitive opinion considering my situation.

If no other suggestions, L7?

Hmm, short of sending them both in, the L7 kine out kit seems to be your best solution.

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #32 of 41
lol delleted his post

Jul 31, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #33 of 41
well I don't have an album both in 16/44 and 24/96 to make an A/B test but the 24/96 albums I have sound very very good...
anyway guys I am not planning to buy a 16/48 dac especially in this price range.. 
ok if I were a rich man i would buy this http://www.stylos-sys.com/usb_en.htm just to hear my 16/44 files (it plays only 16/44.1)

Nov 19, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #34 of 41

Quote:
I also want to comment that the e9 and hd650 is a nice match together. The synergy is great! I'm not sure you can do better than the e7/e9 combo for the 650s unless you spend a lot more money.

I love the e7/e9 combo with the D2000's, but am actually thinking of selling these and getting some HD650's, and I was wondering about the synergy with the HD650's.  Good to know they pair well together.

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #35 of 41
I have auditioned my E9i with HD650 and I liked the sound very very much ... the source though was a 1000€ dac (M2Tech Joung) connected to a mac mini. I listened files from 16/44.1 to 24/96. The s/ware was the "Decibel" player for MAC OS!
I would buy them...

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #36 of 41
complete noob here...
after reading through the forums it seems that the usb provides the only connection that utilizes the combo.  Will i be able to go through the USB port on the e9 directly to an ipod and still be able to use the ported e7 as a DAC?  I would rather not use my laptop and keep it to just the ipod.  Ive got the combo and just looking into getting the best out of it.  Currently in the process of looking for the best deal on the hd650s.  
Thanks for your help

Nov 22, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #37 of 41

Quote:
complete noob here...
after reading through the forums it seems that the usb provides the only connection that utilizes the combo.  Will i be able to go through the USB port on the e9 directly to an ipod and still be able to use the ported e7 as a DAC?  I would rather not use my laptop and keep it to just the ipod.  Ive got the combo and just looking into getting the best out of it.  Currently in the process of looking for the best deal on the hd650s.  
Thanks for your help

I think that you won't! The usb "works" only when the E7 is docked... and it's not able to accept digital signal from i Devices. To get digital signal from the ipod you need other -and much more expensive- equipment like the Fostex HP-P1 or the Cyber Labs Algorythm Solo!
The only (and best) way to get analog signal to the E9 from an iPod is though a LOD cable to the amp's line in!
So if you want to use only the iPod with the E9 may be its better to get the E9i wich has dock for iPod and not for the E7

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #39 of 41
This is an old thread but i like some help, please.

Okay, I have the E7 docked on top of the E9. So the E7 now is just a DAC. Now I run a 2.0 USB cable from the E9 to the USB port of my PC. To my understanding, via the USB cable connected to my PC USB port, the E9 wil be charged and ready to go. I so, why do I need use the wall voltage supply to power the E9 when the PC USB port handles that duty.

I have the E10 connected to my laptop via its USB port and voila, there is no need for any voltage supply plug into the wall.

What's the difference?

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #40 of 41
Umm, no. The USB doesn't charge the E9. The E9 needs to be plugged in to the wall at all times. The E7 will charge through the E9 though, though not sure without USB (my E7's connection broke, so I can't dock it).

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #41 of 41
So if you have the E7 docked in the E9 then all you need to do is run the usb cable from your computer to the E9 and then hook your headphones up to the E9? Like this?

PC --> E9 (E7 docked inside) --> headphones

Also, is this E7/E9 combination enough to power some small desktop speakers?

Another question, how should someone set up the volumes with this combination? I think I read somewhere to max the volume within windows and then just use the DAC or amp to control the volume. Should you max the volume control on the E7 and then just use the E9 volume control?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back