Simple DIY power amp?
Jan 25, 2008 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Jingo Lingo

100+ Head-Fier
Are there any online "how to's" or inexpensive kits that would allow me build a simple low cost solid state power amp for some speakers? I'm going to be receiving a Woo 3 soon and would like to be able to use the pre-amp functionality of it. It wouldn't need to be a terribly powerful amp. About 5 watts per channel would probably be sufficient. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be swell.

Jan 25, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the reply. Their cheapest power amp was 165 AUD for the kit and only a little more fully assembled. Thats a bit more than i'd like to spend. The max I want to spend is about $100 AUD. Maybe im asking for too much?

Jan 25, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 10
In your budget I'd probably go with a class-D kit. I don't see how you can afford the case and power supply plus the amp any other way.

Check out the kits at 41Hz audio amp kits. Sounds good to me! Tripath based amplifiers for DIY:ers. good quality amps and good bang for the buck. Doing a completed amp in $100 will be a stretch though no matter what. You still need to factor in a power supply, case, mounting hardware and whatnot on top of that. It can be done though.

You might take a look at the amp modules eBay seller 'sureelectronics' sells as well. They are small class-D amps for a very good price, based on the same chips as the 41hz amps. The opinion over on DIYAudio is that they're decent, and very good value. This is the product: 2*15 watt @ 4ohm, TA2024 D-class Audio Amplifier Board - eBay (item 350016948066 end time Jan-26-08 22:17:35 PST)

If you go that route you should be able to get a bit more mileage on your money (nicer case etc.), but audio quality will likely not be as good.

If you were spending a bit more money you might look at the kits on chipamp.com as well.

Jan 25, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 10
Jan 25, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 10
what about ESP's amps for this fellow? They're also located in Australia and have some Class-D offerings using the ColdAmp module. What's the feeling on Mr. Elliott's offerings?

sound.westhost.com is the address.

Also, diyaudio.com is a good site to check out

Collin

Jan 26, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #7 of 10
Thanks guys, this is just what I was after. Does anyone know of any kits that include the power supply? I can follow the user's guide instructions of most of those amps quite well until they begin to speak about the power supply. Can anyone help me out in that regard?

Jan 26, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jingo Lingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys, this is just what I was after. Does anyone know of any kits that include the power supply? I can follow the user's guide instructions of most of those amps quite well until they begin to speak about the power supply. Can anyone help me out in that regard?

You need to find out what the amp's requirements are. Most importantly voltage and current (or wattage). Around this power range you're probably going to need a 12-20VDC supply (or 12-15VAC transformer if the kit has a power supply onboard). These class-D amps are supposed to sound good with switched-mode supplies, so good (cheap) candidates are often discarded laptop power supplies. These are usually good for 50-75W output, and are generally 14-20VDC. Otherwise, brick supplies in the appropriate range should be fairly inexpensive.

If you wanted to use a transformer, honour the VAC specification and overspec it slightly. For example you have a 2x25W amplifier, spec about 125% on the transformer, so choose a 75VA or better one.

Jan 26, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #10 of 10
My 'sureelectronics' D class board arrived yesterday. With Aikido tube preamp it sound wonderful. Make few tweaks before. At the moment I listen to it with 1000mA 12V stabilized PS and FRS8 Needles. Of course for full power larger PS needed.
Here is about modification diyAudio Forums - sureelectronics Tripath boards?
At the moment I like it more then my Gainclone (maybe because it is new for me).
Zigis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back