Simple Coffee Grinder needed
Apr 18, 2006 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

nanahachi

Head-Fi FAQ(s) Volunteer
I'd like to start grinding my own coffee, but don't have much to spend (especially since I will be back in school again in the fall). So I am looking for a grinder in the sub $100 range, and if it is available via amazon, all the better b/c i have gift certificates there.

I make my coffee a few different ways, so flexibility would be nice. I use:
paper cone - weekdays, b/c it's easy and fast cleanup
french press - weekends
gold flat filter in this - only occasionally, although it may get more use b/c of its alarm feature

I know decent grinders aren't cheap, and whatever I buy won't last forever, but that is fine, as I'll buy a good one when I have my doctorate well behind me...in 5 years
tongue.gif

If you have any suggestions, please let me know. I've done a bit of looking already, but know we have a large coffee community here, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks, everyone.

Apr 18, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 44
Check out this review:

http://www.coffeegeek.com/proreviews...prolinegrinder

I bought one of these burr grinders a few months ago and recommend it highly. No comparison to the little Braun grinder I had before.

Sure it's twice your budget, but you can use your Amazon certificate and you'll never have to go through the "upgrade" path that we all seem to go through with headphones, amps, etc.

Good luck!

Apr 18, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by gmbennett
Check out this review:

http://www.coffeegeek.com/proreviews...prolinegrinder

I bought one of these burr grinders a few months ago and recommend it highly. No comparison to the little Braun grinder I had before.

Sure it's twice your budget, but you can use your Amazon certificate and you'll never have to go through the "upgrade" path that we all seem to go through with headphones, amps, etc.

Good luck!

I've had the KitchenAid Pro Line for over a year now. We use it multiple times a day and it is still just like new! Outstanding product. Outstanding customer support. If you don't want to spend that much, next best thing as long as you don't need espresso grind is the capresso infinity. It will wear out in a year, so in the long run, you're better off with the kitchenaid pro line. Don't bother with the less expensive Kitchenaid, it is not in the same class at all. Another 2nd choice is the Baratza Virtuoso Burr Coffee Grinder, or Solis Maestro. They do as good a job at grinding the coffee as the ProLine, but they're not as sturdy and will look worn out in a year as well.

Apr 18, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 44
I was in the same boat and it seemed for a good one, you had to spend a lot, so I went with the manual one and it grinds nice and evenly. It takes a lot of cranking though
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #9 of 44
We drink alot of coffee, like 6 pots per day. I only use Burr Grinders, as anyone who really cares about their coffee should.

I started with a Capresso which was about $50-60. Worked pretty well but we killed it in about a year. For 'normal' use would probably be ok.

Next we went Bodum, and the model I had was returned twice due to breakdown, the 2nd time for a refund. I would not buy another.

Most recent one was just a good deal that happened along, a Cuisinart.
It has performed wonderfully and lasted (so far-so good). I have only one complaint . . . it is [size=xx-large]LOUD[/size].
I am tempted to use my ER-20's with this thing. I usually keep it in a cupboard to try to muffle the sound a bit, even so
eek.gif

Anyway, my point is that you can get a decent burr-grinder within your price range. That is of course unless you are a caffiene freak like me
icon10.gif

Apr 19, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #13 of 44
How come blad grinders are so frowned upon? I've been happy with the Kitchenaid blade grinder (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507) that we received at our wedding shower. What am I missing by not having a burr grinder? I generally grind enough beans for a week of coffee (12-16 cups) at a time. I have a Bunn coffee maker that requires me to make 4 cups at a time. I've always thought the coffee tasted great.

Apr 19, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
This is the best and will meet all your needs.

I work for Whirlpool an this is a re-issue of the original model from the 1020's My brother-inlaw just inherited his mothers original and it still works great!! The reisue is the same as the original - nice cast iron base, real glass container and great burr action.

Seriously, get this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507

The 100 buck KitchenAid is sturdilty built, but it will not grind fine enough for espresso and it spews grounds all over the counter. I used to own one.
The third thing that's a downer about the unit is that it spins at high speed so it heats the beans too much as it grinds them. This will alter the taste of your coffee and not in a good way.

The KitchenAid ProLine grinder is an entirely different and more sophisticated design. The burrs turn at a lower speed so as to minimize bean heating and static. It also dispenses the grounds directly into a glass container rather than out of a chute onto the counter. Yes, it costs twice as much, but you get what you pay for. BTW, it's quieter as well.

Apr 19, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by sjt78
How come blad grinders are so frowned upon? I've been happy with the Kitchenaid blade grinder (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507) that we received at our wedding shower. What am I missing by not having a burr grinder? I generally grind enough beans for a week of coffee (12-16 cups) at a time. I have a Bunn coffee maker that requires me to make 4 cups at a time. I've always thought the coffee tasted great.

What you may or may not be missing depends on a few things.
The best blade grinders are okay for most drip grinds but have two major problems when compared to a good burr grinder.
1. Blade grinders spin at high speed and impart considerable heat to the beans as they are ground. This is not good for the taste of the coffee. It's very noticable once you're aware of it.
2. Blade grinders do not produce a consistent size granule when grinding. With a blade grinder, you get multiple sized granules with any given grind because it's just a blade whirring around through the beans. You end up with everything from powder sized chunks to drip grind or larger chunks in the same mass of grounds. What happens when you brew your coffee is that the smaller grounds clog the filter which slows the drip process beyond what it should be. Further, the small grinds presenting larger surface area to the hot water over extract, while the larger grounds under extract because of a smaller surface area to volume ratio. What you get taste wise is inferior to a brew made with a uniform sized grind, which is what you get with a good low speed burr grinder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back