Simgot EN700 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 17, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #167 of 293

I didn't think the EN700 was anywhere near the T20 in terms of presentation and sound-staging. Bass presence and shaping was far superior on the T20 (to my ears). Mind you, this was with an X5 as the source.

Also, @audio123 I still didn't notice any improvements on the EN700 on the X5 v.s my Nexus 6P -> Sound Blaster E3.

300 hours burn in

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #170 of 293
I've just finally received my simgot suzaku.

I'd say the sound amazing. they have very good clarity and details. pretty good staging. definitely not a bass head iem, but they have good bass extensions. like everyone stated the mids are very good. if i can complain for its price, i feel like the highs are a bit "metallic" for my liking. Cymbals in particular tends to annoys me. The highs tends to sound a bit weird for me. But maybe its just because I used FX1200 as my daily driver, which imho they have one of the most natural timbre amongst iems that i've tried before. 

all in all very good value though. i loved how the clarity and details of this iem. sounds pretty enjoyable for acoustics and vocal-centric songs.

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #172 of 293
@Ting Tiew Yik

The P1 is on another (read: higher) level in about everything, imo.
From what I perceive, the only thing where the SIMGOT comes comparably close is midrange details.
EN700's soundstage is about averagely large and averagely precise for its price. The P1's soundstage is audibly more immersive and also more precise.

Aug 26, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #173 of 293
  @Ting Tiew Yik

The P1 is on another (read: higher) level in about everything, imo.
From what I perceive, the only thing where the SIMGOT comes comparably close is midrange details.
EN700's soundstage is about averagely large and averagely precise for its price. The P1's soundstage is audibly more immersive and also more precise.

Just want to agree with everything you said. It's funny how, after listening to the Simgot and comparing, it actually makes the P1 sound warm and juicy. The Simgot is just that dry and unappealing. I actually compared it afterward to an old set of Thinksound TS01's and would take even those over the Simgot, no contest. And soundstage... totally agree with Chris but want to reinforce, "average". It's not bad... it's not in mono. But it's not great, or good. It's nothing that would end up in a "Pros" column. Basically you can tell which channel is the L and which is the R. 

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #174 of 293

Just want to agree with everything you said. It's funny how, after listening to the Simgot and comparing, it actually makes the P1 sound warm and juicy. The Simgot is just that dry and unappealing. I actually compared it afterward to an old set of Thinksound TS01's and would take even those over the Simgot, no contest. And soundstage... totally agree with Chris but want to reinforce, "average". It's not bad... it's not in mono. But it's not great, or good. It's nothing that would end up in a "Pros" column. Basically you can tell which channel is the L and which is the R. 

This. THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING. When I published my review I got flak for not using using an Sound Blaster E3 instead of a DAP because, according to the commentors, there was no way it could ever be that the Simgot EN700 itself was merely average.

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #175 of 293
This. THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING. When I published my review I got flak for not using using an Sound Blaster E3 instead of a DAP because, according to the commentors, there was no way it could ever be that the Simgot EN700 itself was merely average.
sorry cinder but its true. U see I agree with your Finder X1 review though

Aug 29, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #177 of 293

Hi @Cinder, just wondering, in your review, did you use the E3 as a DAC/AMP combo or just as an amp with your cell phone feeding it via headphone out? If you were using it as a DAC/AMP, I am actually not concerned and I believe you had a good enough source to form impressions and valid comparisons. However, if you used it just as an amp then its possible your source was not the best as double amping can lead to various artifacts in sound. I am not saying it invalidates your views on the iem but for sure it was not the best possible setup for the review. 

Regardless, a good dap will only bring the last few % of improvements/differences in sound. And considering the EN700 is a dynamic driver, it is even less likely to get affected by a poor source as dynamic drivers are largely unaffected by high output impedance. 

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #178 of 293
Hi @Cinder
, just wondering, in your review, did you use the E3 as a DAC/AMP combo or just as an amp with your cell phone feeding it via headphone out? If you were using it as a DAC/AMP, I am actually not concerned and I believe you had a good enough source to form impressions and valid comparisons. However, if you used it just as an amp then its possible your source was not the best as double amping can lead to various artifacts in sound. I am not saying it invalidates your views on the iem but for sure it was not the best possible setup for the review. 

Regardless, a good dap will only bring the last few % of improvements/differences in sound. And considering the EN700 is a dynamic driver, it is even less likely to get affected by a poor source as dynamic drivers are largely unaffected by high output impedance. 

I used it as a DAC via USB OTG. I also double-checked my claims against the E3 powered off of my PC's usb, and just re-checked it against the HifiMe 9018 Optical DAC. The results are the same, if no sightly different of the HifiME 9018.

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #180 of 293
  I feel like I haven't found the sweet spot of the EN700 yet. It is very capable and great for mid-driven iems, but it just seems like I'm not getting the full performance quite yet.

Need to find a magical tip/source/eq combo to bump up the low end for me a bit.

change to spinfit first

Users who are viewing this thread

Back