Simgot EN700 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 5, 2016 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 293

SeeSax

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey Folks, 

It seems like I've been buying a lot of IEMs lately that various members have recommended and I've been very happy with the outcome. In this instance, however, this was sort of an impulse buy that was actually suggested by a seller on AliExpress (Jim from HCK). I decided to purchase these and I know various other members on the forums are curious about them because I have seen them pop up here and there (and it is also said that one of the folks from Ostry is the maker of these). Well, I decided they were worth a shot and I received them today.

About Me

Thought I'd add a few words about me, why not right? I came into the world of audio from a guitar background, buying up tube amps from when I was a kid and was always fascinated with them. Then I ended up buying my first decent pair of IEMs one day for a long flight (Yamaha EPH-100) and it was downhill from there. For a year or two, my only source were cell phones + a DAC/amp combo. Recently, I've invested in a desktop setup consisting of a Schiit Bifrost Multibit and Project Ember tube amp (which I absolutely love). I'm still no professional, I don't know all the right terms and I can really only offer an opinion of what I like. I don't have golden ears and I would not be considered a sommelier of the audio world. But what I do have to offer is the fact that I buy pretty much every IEM that looks interesting and give it some good listening time 
beerchug.gif

Manufacturer Website: http://www.simgot.com/en/products/detail/5.html#!/detail
Where I Bought Them: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-New-100-Original-SIMGOT-EN700-In-Ear-Earphone-DIY-HIFI-DJ-Earphone-Headset-Hot-Copper/32690485262.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.63.e5uDRg

In The Box

So, here is what we are looking at with some unboxing photos: 

As you can see, packaging and accessories are first rate with a lovely leather case, plenty of tips, a VIP card (ha!) and a wonderful presentation. 

Specs

Here are the specs on the box (mostly in Chinese, so I'll try my best): 

-10mm dynamic driver
-101dB sensitivity
-24 ohm resistance
-15Hz-25kHz 
-10mW

The cables are non-removable and very supple. The memory wire, however, is a bit stiff and this would probably be my only complaint for otherwise an EXTREMELY comfortable IEM. I am not a fan of over-ear use, but these simply disappear. I took my dog for a walk while wearing them and it was very pleasant and isolation was pretty good. I have been told that the cases are aluminum with stainless steel. I thought it was plastic at first simply due to how light they are, but apparently they are metal. Cool! 

Source

I want to mention that I have tried these both in my iPhone 6S (and they were driven with absolute ease) and my Galaxy S7 + Dragonfly Red playing Tidal lossless streaming. My impressions below are quite similar on each. 
Edit: I've also auditioned these via my Schiit Bifrost multibit DAC and Project Ember tube amp and wow, the sound phenomenal. I can say they definitely respond well to a powerful amp. Granted this is way overkill for IEMs, but the sound really comes alive.

First Impressions

I need a lot more time with these, but first impressions are very good. These strike me as similar to the Pinnacle P1s that I just bought in that they are a single dynamic 10mm driver with over-ear wearing and a larger size housing. These are much larger than the P1s, but just as comfortable to me. 

Bass: I get that wonderful deep bass you would expect from a dynamic driver. Not overpowering, but definitely on the warmer side of neutral and I find it to be very pleasant as I am somewhat of a bass-head. I notice more bass presence as compared to the P1, but obviously less than something like the Sony XBA-A3 or similar triple hybrid setup. To me, it fits into the "just right" category. I think the large shell of these provide a nice chamber for deep bass.  

Mids: Very smooth, very pleasant to my ears. Vocals really come through and while I wouldn't call these IEMs mid-forward, they are in no way recessed for my quick listening (which was some pop, country and a few rap songs). 

Treble: This is interesting. The treble is energetic and quite noticeable, but not sibilant or harsh. These are not bright IEMs, but instead they seem very balanced to me with a special treble that I am really enjoying. I experienced no fatigue (but again, limited testing) and while in some tracks I would ask for a tad more treble presence, over all this is a very pleasant experience. 
Edit: Just put on the Shockwave 3 IEMs and their treble is quite a bit more present. I still wouldn't say the treble on the EN700 is rolled off, but it is very pleasant and shouldn't bother anyone. The Shockwave 3 IEMs have much more treble and therefore might seem like they are more detailed at first, but I'm not ready to make that judgement just yet and I still think I like the overall treble signature of the EN700 more. Best way I can describe it is: present, clear and not bothersome in the least. 

Separation: These are doing very well especially for a single DD. No complaints at all and I can clearly hear the different instruments. Below, Pastapipo suggested "The Look" by Metronomy for testing soundstage and while that is still TBD, that song CLEARLY expresses the great separation and detail these IEMs can produce. Another member suggested "This is What You Came For" by Calvin Harris and Rihanna and that song is an incredible test for separation and detail. These fared extremely well, better than my LZ-A3 and another triple hybrid we are not supposed to discuss here on Head-Fi. 

Vocals: I'm not sure if this usually gets its own section of an impression, but something I'm noticing is that since none of the frequency is exaggerated or bothersome, it really presents a nice balance that allows the vocals to come through. It sounds as if the vocals are forward in certain songs, but that's only because the bass is isn't overpowering and the treble is so controlled. These are great for songs with strong female vocals (think Adele, Meghan Trainor, Charlie Puth LOL! etc.).  

Overall: I'm really pleased. For around $100 USD, these are a worthy contender to other IEMs such as Pinnacle P1, HiFiMan RE-600 and similar single dynamic driver earphones. I figure honesty is the best policy, so I want to mention something about the soundstage: I have absolutely no idea how to test soundstage on an IEM (or headphone for that matter). I will have to leave that up to the experts, which I am definitely not. I am a hobbyist and I just love to toy around with different sets of IEMs. I am more than happy to answer any questions you folks may have about these!

TL;DR

I really like these and I am actually very eager to spend more and more time with them. They have a special sound signature to them that I really like in that they are balanced, have powerful bass and non-intrusive mids/highs that work very well together. Well-done Simgot, whoever you are :) Slight edit on this: While I would still not clal the mids intrusive, the mids really are coming forward in my continued listening and I would say they highlight vocals very well. Mid-forward would be the description I would use here, but not washing out any bass or treble.

-Collin-

Jul 6, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 293
awesome impression :)

Thanks!

Excellent information Collin. Thanks for the impression. I am going to save for these and hopefully buy next month.

Subbed

Cheers. I'll add more to the original post as I get more time and try them with more sources and A/B with my other IEMs :)

-Collin-

Jul 6, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 293
Originally Posted by SeeSax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have absolutely no idea how to test soundstage on an IEM (or headphone for that matter). I will have to leave that up to the experts, which I am definitely not. I am a hobbyist and I just love to toy around with different sets of IEMs. I am more than happy to answer any questions you folks may have about these!

Nice impressions!

For me this song works best to get an impression of instrument position and soundstage. Could you take a listen to it and compare it to one of your other IEMs?
Thank you very much!

Jul 6, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #6 of 293

Nice impressions!

For me this song works best to get an impression of instrument position and soundstage. Could you take a listen to it and compare it to one of your other IEMs?
Thank you very much!

You got it, listening to it now on Tidal and WOW, what sounds like a kick drum really punches through the mix on these IEMs. I will have to test soundstage against a few other IEMs tomorrow and I also need to read up on soundstage a bit more. 

I forgot to mention in the original post that instrument separation is absolutely great. I'm listening now through my Schiit Bifrost/Project Ember amp and it's really nice. I'll do my best for you on soundstage. 

-Collin-

Jul 6, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 293
Added a few more thoughts and some more details. I promise I will get to the soundstage tomorrow and if I can't, well, then I'll recruit someone who can properly test it! 

-Collin-

Jul 6, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #9 of 293
Sounds very promising so far! Will be waiting for more impressions especially vs the P1, if these are close to it in Sq then I think my wallet will be very sorry!

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #10 of 293
SeeSax Excellent first post in this thread, thanks for the effort.

I really want these but the memory wire concern me, I hate memory wires :wink:

All these difficult decisions.....

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #11 of 293
Jim recommended me these too but I passed. Dang.

Jul 6, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #15 of 293
  Me too. He'll also do a discount on them for members.

I think I read a post where the mods/admins said that we were not to go requesting discount for being head-fi members, but it's important to know that pretty much every single seller on AliExpress will give a discount if you simply ask. For that reason, you can mention that you're a twitter follower, a headphone junky, anything you wand and they will give you a few bucks off. Just some words to remember when discussing these IEMs from AliExpress that have been somewhat of a sensitive subject in regards to reviews/impressions. 

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back