Simgot EA500 impressions, discussions & mods thread
May 7, 2023 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

HiFiRobot

100+ Head-Fier
Weirdly no thread for one of the most youtubed IEMs at the moment. As its highly tunable and moddable with nozzles, filters, mesh, micropore etc, a dedicated thread could be useful to consolidate all the knowledge and impressions.

At launch seemed to be Linsoul exclusive, but is now selling from other stores as well.

Launched Feb 2023 at RRP $79

I own this IEM and I think it is really good. The fact that you can easily tune up the bass with some 3M micropore is just cool, although I dont find it lacking in bass in stock with red filter. My other main IEMs and reference points are Campfire Andromeda 2019, Ikko OH10 and Letshuoer S12 Pro. I don't have much experience with the other newer releases but compared to my IEMs the EA500 has its spot being clear, well-separated, airy and dynamic.

Would be fun to know if the same "4th Generation DLC Composite Diaphragm" from the EA500 is used in other IEMs. Otherwise it likely will be and 2023 looks to be an interesting year for value IEMs.

Head-fi reviews Simgot EA500
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/simgot-ea500.26361/reviews
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/simgot-ea500-universal-full-range-dynamic-driver-iem.26400/reviews

Technical Details
DRIVERS: 10mm dual-magnetic-circuit & dual-cavity structure dynamic
DIAPHRAGM: Fourth-generation DLC composite diaphragm
IMPEDANCE: 16Ω+15% (@ 1kHz)
SENSITIVITY: 123dB/Vrms (@ 1kHz nozzle with red ring) 124dB/Vrms (@ 1kHz nozzle with black ring)
FREQUENCY RESPONSE RANGE: 10Hz-50KHz
EFFECTIVE FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 20Hz-20kHz
CABLE: High-purity silver-plated OFC wire
CONNECTOR: 0.78mm 2-pin

Product Features
The EA500 adopts a 10mm dual-magnetic-circuit and dual-cavity driver. Different from the two single magnetic circuit forms of "internal magnetic" or "external magnetic" commonly used in dynamic headphones, the dual-magnetic-circuit system of EA500 provides both internal and external magnetic circuits.

Combined with the N52 magnet, this driver presents a powerful magnetic field and amazing performance. The dynamic range and transient capability have been greatly improved, providing a wider bandwidth range and lower distortion, which gives the EA500 a stunning dynamic and sense of presence.

Simgot_EA500_inside.jpg

4th Generation DLC Composite Diaphragm
The DLC composite diaphragm of EA500 incorporates 3 kinds of different materials, which are used to build different parts. DLC is characterized by strong rigidity, high damping, and light-weight, and is used as a dome that determines the characteristics of treble.

The edge, which affects the mid and bass, is built with elastic composite material. The whole diaphragm has undergone multiple pattern design and material content ratio tests to achieve surging and natural bass, high resolution and high-density mid, and smooth treble extension.

Detachable Nozzle Design, Two Target Curves
By quickly disassembling and installing the nozzles of different tuning cloth systems, users can change different tuning styles. When the filter is blocked after a long time wearing, users can replace the filter themselves, which can extend the service life of the product and increase the scope of adaptation.

Simgot_EA500_Red_Nozzle.jpg

Nozzle 1 (red silicone ring)
H brand-2016 Curve is a very universal trend-oriented tuning style. It is also the basic target curve widely used by different brands of audio manufacturers in the industry (on this basis, each brand has a slight derivation). The three frequencies are highly balanced, the positioning is accurate, the sound field is restored accurately, and the sound is plumb. It has less sibilance on the treble, adapts well to different music genres, even to poor recording. This tuning style can be sorted as "jack of all trades".

Simgot_EA500_Black_Nozzle.jpg

Nozzle 2 (black silicone ring)
SIMGOT-Classic's target curve runs through the tuning ideas of EN1000 and EA2000. Through appropriate gain of the treble and slight forward shift of the first peak, on the basis of ensuring accurate positioning and clear image, the three-frequency keep balanced, making the instrument more beautiful, the separation clearer, and the female vocal more addictive. There may be slight sibilance in the treble, but the resolution is higher and more details can be presented. It is a little bit weak to adapt to poor recording source.It belongs to tuning style of "female vocal addictive”, or " instrument type”.SIMGOT will continue to develop the nozzle of EA500 to bring more tuning styles under different target curves.

All Metal Cavity With Mirror Plating Process
The headphone cavity is processed through high-density alloy metal melting & casting and CNC fine engraving. The body is sturdy and durable. The inner surface is subtle uneven, which can effectively suppress standing wave and provide a clear sound floor.Complemented by mirror plating technology, the earphone body is elegant as an art piece.

Stable And Reliable 2-Pin Detachable Design
High quality silver-plated OFC cableThe EA500 comes with a high-quality 0.78mm 2 pin detachable silver-plated OFC cable. This cable effectively improves the separation and transparency, making the sound floor clearer, the vocal and instrument more beautiful. The detachable design also leaves space for cable upgrade and brings more fun. The 2-pin is durable with long service life.

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 24
This actually works without blasting my ears out. Rebelamp doesnt ramp up volume too early. Didn’t notice any channel balance on the volumes I was on. Low gain on the RebelAmp as the Simgot is high sensitivity.

iFi Zen Stream → Chord Clearway Coax → Hegel HD12 → Oyaide Neo d+ Class A RCA → RebelAmp → Simgot EA500
Simgot_EA500_RebelAmp.jpg

EA500 with ZDT Jr was too bright for me. Did work on some recordings, but other triggered the need to switch amp immediately.
A minimal of volume play before it gets too loud, just after the end of volume pot channel imbalance. ZDT Jr is not a dead silent amp so there is some hum when music is not playing. Might try this combo later with some impedance adapters, cable rolling and DAC switch.

iFi Zen Stream → Hegel HD12 → Eddie Current ZDT Jr → Simgot EA500
Simgot_EA500_Eddie_Current_ZDT_Jr.jpeg

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #6 of 24
Another way to tune these (by restricting air flow through the forward facing vent) is to use these tuning filters (instead of the high density foam used by ToneDeafMonk):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004052516554.html?

On another forum I've seen this plot that nicely shows the difference between some of the filters.

7d0c90bf32a46d5b136334493b9ba38560cdf01e_2_690x313.jpeg

I don't know which mod works better, the foam, or these filters. Yesterday I ordered both, and will have a play when these arrive.
The plot suggests this vent mod only affects the bass. Which is great.

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #7 of 24
Regarding the two included nozzles (red and black). One of these nozzles contains tuning foam, and the other is empty. By reading various users experiences, there is much confusion about this.
The EA500 box shows frequency response for the black and read nozzles, and from this I conclude that the red nozzle should contain the foam (it has very slightly reduced treble response), however my nozzles were the other way around. That is, the Black nozzle contained the foam, and the red was empty.
This is consistent with some users experiences. I wonder whether this is purely random which will way round these will be when you get them?
Perhaps rather than talking about red and black nozzles, we should be talking about the nozzle with, and without tuning foam?

May 8, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #8 of 24
Regarding the two included nozzles (red and black). One of these nozzles contains tuning foam, and the other is empty. By reading various users experiences, there is much confusion about this.
The EA500 box shows frequency response for the black and read nozzles, and from this I conclude that the red nozzle should contain the foam (it has very slightly reduced treble response), however my nozzles were the other way around. That is, the Black nozzle contained the foam, and the red was empty.
This is consistent with some users experiences. I wonder whether this is purely random which will way round these will be when you get them?
Perhaps rather than talking about red and black nozzles, we should be talking about the nozzle with, and without tuning foam?
Mine are like this. Black nozzle with foam, Red is empty. And to my understanding this is the usual configuration.
But good idea, maybe write "Black nozzle with foam" and "Red nozzle without foam" to avoid confusion.

Simgot_EA500_Black_Red_Filter.jpeg

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #9 of 24
Another way to tune these (by restricting air flow through the forward facing vent) is to use these tuning filters (instead of the high density foam used by ToneDeafMonk):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004052516554.html?

On another forum I've seen this plot that nicely shows the difference between some of the filters.

7d0c90bf32a46d5b136334493b9ba38560cdf01e_2_690x313.jpeg

I don't know which mod works better, the foam, or these filters. Yesterday I ordered both, and will have a play when these arrive.
The plot suggests this vent mod only affects the bass. Which is great.
I tried this with 3M Micropore on the vent closest to the stem and it certainly bumps the bass a bit without going into crazy basshead territory. Took it off after a while as I wanted to get accustomed to the OG signature before starting to mod.

I have these "White Fine mesh" now in different sizes but I havent done the modding yet.

20pcs Earphones Dustproof Mesh Filter In Ear Earphones Tuning Damper Mesh with adhesive 3mm-5mm
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004485357287.html?
Ali part no 1005004485357287 "White Fine mesh"

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #10 of 24
I tried this with 3M Micropore on the vent closest to the stem and it certainly bumps the bass a bit without going into crazy basshead territory. Took it off after a while as I wanted to get accustomed to the OG signature before starting to mod.

I have these "White Fine mesh" now in different sizes but I havent done the modding yet.

20pcs Earphones Dustproof Mesh Filter In Ear Earphones Tuning Damper Mesh with adhesive 3mm-5mm
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004485357287.html?
Ali part no 1005004485357287 "White Fine mesh"
I have that stuff on order too. Since it's not even been posted yet, I expect it'll be weeks. This mod is so cheap and simple I thought I'll try everything. Unfortunately I don't have any means of measuring these, other than by ear.

May 8, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #11 of 24
Todays work setup
iFi Diablo -> 20 ohm impedance adapter -> Hakugei Rice Litz 6N OCC -> Simgot EA500 -> Anjirui TS-400 foam tips
With the 20 ohm adapter I can run EA500 on my preferred normal gain from the Diablo.

Simgot_EA500_iFi_Diablo_RebelAmp.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #13 of 24
I would also like to speak out: I bought it on a wave of hype, because a lot of people talked about this model as "something perfect and the best I've heard" - well, you know, I want to answer and describe this model like this: remember in the past years Aria was a hit, Olina and TinHifi T3+? This ea500 is a logical continuation of these dynamic headphones, where in some moments / aspects they made an improvement. In my opinion, these headphones are not the top, but for their price they do not fall into the dirt and already show how mid-budget models can sound: they sound good, but not perfect as more expensive iems. this is to be expected

Jun 19, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #14 of 24
I bought and tested these and imho they are destroyed by the ER2XR. I think they sound decent but to my ear they sound like a noticeably worse version. They're cheaper so i think it scales but the ER2XR aren't much more and can be had on sale around a similar price. I see all these reviews of the EA500 and youtubers talking about them but I don't know what the fuss is all about.

Jun 19, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #15 of 24
I bought and tested these and imho they are destroyed by the ER2XR. I think they sound decent but to my ear they sound like a noticeably worse version. They're cheaper so i think it scales but the ER2XR aren't much more and can be had on sale around a similar price. I see all these reviews of the EA500 and youtubers talking about them but I don't know what the fuss is all about.

What are you going to test next?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back