silvercore
Jun 7, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #121 of 161
I listened to Silvercore at Helsinki Hifiharrastajat can-meeting. I had some of my "reference records" with me. These records consist of orchestral, piano, vocal, organ and opera music. I had an opportunity to hear Silvercore for about half an hour.

Silvercore is definitely a great amp. Soundstage is big and it has plenty of air around instruments. "Naturality" is a good word to describe the sound of this amp. Silvercore handled complex orhestral pieces with ease and authority. Musical ideas were represented beautifully especially with Denon headphones.

It appeared that Grado GS1000 is not an ideal headphone for Silvercore. With Grados there were some problems with both piano and tenor voice. Voices were too ummm.. metallic and thin. These problems vanished with modified Denon cans. (Sorry, I dont know which cans and mods.) Denon's soundstage was smaller, but still big.

There would be one thing at my wish list. Music should be a bit more emotional and exiting (and I dont mean my records), but this is just my preference not any Silvercores problem.

I did not know amps price before I just saw it in this thread. I really thought it would be even higher. This amp look btw much better live than photos. I hope to hear Silvercore again later.

Jun 7, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #122 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karhu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to Silvercore at Helsinki Hifiharrastajat can-meeting. I had some of my "reference records" with me. These records consist of orchestral, piano, vocal, organ and opera music. I had an opportunity to hear Silvercore for about half an hour.

Silvercore is definitely a great amp. Soundstage is big and it has plenty of air around instruments. "Naturality" is a good word to describe the sound of this amp. Silvercore handled complex orhestral pieces with ease and authority. Musical ideas were represented beautifully especially with Denon headphones.

It appeared that Grado GS1000 is not an ideal headphone for Silvercore. With Grados there were some problems with both piano and tenor voice. Voices were too ummm.. metallic and thin. These problems vanished with modified Denon cans. (Sorry, I dont know which cans and mods.) Denon's soundstage was smaller, but still big.

There would be one thing at my wish list. Music should be a bit more emotional and exiting (and I dont mean my records), but this is just my preference not any Silvercores problem.

I did not know amps price before I just saw it in this thread. I really thought it would be even higher. This amp look btw much better live than photos. I hope to hear Silvercore again later.

Some pics: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f24/fi...2009-a-428072/

They were my Denons. Denon AH-D2000 (Lawton Audio mahogany cups + markl mod + APureSound V3 re-cabled).

Jun 7, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #123 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangerine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kuulokeharrastajien tapaaminen 2009 jälkilöylyt

English version for us non-bilingual peons.
confused_face(1).gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #125 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karhu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I find this very interesting, as I found the GS1000 and Silvercore to be an excellent combination. I agree with you about the description of the sound: open, airy and lifelike. The sound I'm used to is a bit thicker and warmer (GS1000, SP Supra with "all black" tubes at the moment), and hearing the GS1000 with the Silvercore was absolutely stunning.

Disclaimer: I listened to the Silvercore at the same meet, perhaps about 40 min total, so I don't have long time experience with it. I'm a Grado-head, so it is not a surprise that I liked the Silvercore with GS1000 (and PS-1).

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #126 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonsku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find this very interesting, as I found the GS1000 and Silvercore to be an excellent combination. I agree with you about the description of the sound: open, airy and lifelike. The sound I'm used to is a bit thicker and warmer (GS1000, SP Supra with "all black" tubes at the moment), and hearing the GS1000 with the Silvercore was absolutely stunning.

Disclaimer: I listened to the Silvercore at the same meet, perhaps about 40 min total, so I don't have long time experience with it. I'm a Grado-head, so it is not a surprise that I liked the Silvercore with GS1000 (and PS-1).

In my opinion those problems with GS1000 which I mentioned were clear. I listened with my own records which are quite difficult material and very familiar for me. Both headphones were new to me.

Jun 7, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #127 of 161
Thanks, Karhu. I'm not an experienced reviewer, and I easily forget to analyze the sound and concentrate on enjoying the music instead. I listened to recordings that I'm very familiar with, but they are not necessarily good test recordings.

Jun 8, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #128 of 161
Many thanks to all who visited that show
I was playing Silvercore at that meeting with a russian rectifier 5u3c black plate and
Chinese 812 A tubes.To get a much warmer sound you have to use Ken-Rad vt-244 rectifier and RCA 812 A tubes, this makes warmer but not so airy sound.There were people on that show who listened carefully with their own records.Many of them were smiling i think of that airy soundstage.I would say Silvercore is not forgiving you, if you put bad recordings in it it sounds bad and if you put great recordings in it it sounds great.I had the opportunity to hear this amp with different headphones and a heavy modded Denon D-2000 was a great match especially on voices.For me the Grado RS-2 and Ultrasone pro 900 were also great on this amp.
I had the opportunity to buy from that show a Singlepower MPX 3 amp and yesterday and this morning i compared them side by side.First i wasnt too satisfied with the Singlepower so i had to change the tubes.I put on that amp 3x Tung-sol round plates, but it was short of air .Then i hooked this amp up with the Illusion wave filter and now i got the soundstage.This amp seems to be sensitive on the quality of current.With the Illusion wave filter wich was designed especially for tube amps singlepower on Flickr - Photo Sharing! i got c. 10% more of everything, its a great match.I bought the Singlepower amp because it has almost the same sound signature as Silvercore 812A and i like it.To put this story short i like the Singlepower with the Illusion wave filter and with Tung-Sol round plates a lot .You get the same sound signature with all the goodies of Singlepower and if you put 15% more of everything then you have the sound of Silvercore 812 A amp.

Jun 8, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #129 of 161
The MPX 3 is very responsive to tube rolling. Is your amp a Slam model-equipped to take 5687 (with adapters) as output tubes? This substantially increases the range of different voices you get from the Amp. If not, then you would be limited to rolling the input tube. In that case, order an adapter for the 12A_7-type tubes. Try a 7062 or 6414. Blackplate 12AY7 will also sound good.

An earlier poster indicated that the music lacked emotion, which i would expect with silver transformers and direct coupling front and back. That should be in marked contrast to the all-6SN7 MPX3 you showed, esp if you have 3 TSRPs. I think the MPX3 would sound a good bit warmer (but not lush) than the Silver Core.

I'm glad you like them both.

Jun 9, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #131 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MPX 3 is very responsive to tube rolling. Is your amp a Slam model-equipped to take 5687 (with adapters) as output tubes? This substantially increases the range of different voices you get from the Amp. If not, then you would be limited to rolling the input tube. In that case, order an adapter for the 12A_7-type tubes. Try a 7062 or 6414. Blackplate 12AY7 will also sound good.

An earlier poster indicated that the music lacked emotion, which i would expect with silver transformers and direct coupling front and back. That should be in marked contrast to the all-6SN7 MPX3 you showed, esp if you have 3 TSRPs. I think the MPX3 would sound a good bit warmer (but not lush) than the Silver Core.

I'm glad you like them both.

with the Ken-Rad rectifier and Rca 812 A tubes you will drop tears its pure emotion.At the show i demonstrated a tube combination that showed how much air is possible to get between your ears.
It was not my meaning to get the visitors drop tears but maybe at the next show.

Jun 15, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #132 of 161
I had a very pleasant opportunity to hear the Silvercore again and to compare it directly with Singlepower MPX3.

Silvercore seems to be toned to the dryer side of the neutral, and in comparison the MPX3 sounded really romantic. However Silvercore respond well to tube rolling and we tried three different combinations. The sound got much meatier with right tubes, while still retaining the huge, spacey and floating stereo image.

Those qualities were evident when using either of the headphones we tried: GS1000, PS-1 and RS-1.

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #133 of 161
It's becoming obvious that the tube 5U4G is not the most ideal or musical tube on the Silvercore powersupply .Listeners prefer more the 5R4GY(RCA) tube.This was also one of my first impressions when i made my first tube rolling on this amp.

Jun 15, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #134 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangerine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's becoming obvious that the tube 5U4G is not the most ideal or musical tube on the Silvercore powersupply .Listeners prefer more the 5R4GY(RCA) tube.This was also one of my first impressions when i made my first tube rolling on this amp.

Have you tried Sophia Electric Princess Mesh Plate 274B? That is the best rectifier tube for my WA6. I did try 5R4GY, GZ30, GZ32, various GZ34's and 5AR4.

http://www.sophiaelectric.com/pages/se/274b.htm

Jul 3, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #135 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by jantze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried Sophia Electric Princess Mesh Plate 274B? That is the best rectifier tube for my WA6. I did try 5R4GY, GZ30, GZ32, various GZ34's and 5AR4.

http://www.sophiaelectric.com/pages/se/274b.htm

I got the SEP 274B tube and it seems to be the only choice for Silvercore?
Very smooth and detailed presentation .This tube also shows how much better the RCA 812A tube is over the Chinese 812A.
edit:took off the 274B tube and replaced it with old RCA 5R4GY a very nice tube.All depends on your personal taste wich you prefer.
The Silvercore amp is also after a long break in time becoming much smoother over the earlier reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back