Silver wire would like your opinion
Jun 19, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #31 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok you win

You're a smart one
tongue.gif

For what it's worth I've always doubted the whole cable deal until I went to Head-Fest and heard for myself. I don't claim to understand how it works but to my OWN personal ears, I heard the difference.

On the other hand, there's no way I'm paying that much for someone else to make a fancy cable, so I'd rather DIY
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #33 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Round and round.

Getting back to the purpose of this thread (per the title):

OP: You go and tell "Silver Wire" to mind its own dagbloomin business!

-m

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #34 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
measurements and specs, hmmm. how do you take a measure of any art form? probably get closer to the truth measuring blood pressure etc. of people viewing/hearing the art.

Playing a musical instrument is an art. You can't measure it. I have no problem with that. Audio systems are not an art. They are a work of science. They reproduce the signal you feed them and should do nothing more.

If you want to become an artist, learn an instrument and play it well. Don't try and change the tone of someone's performance and call it an art. That will get you laughed at.

I love the quoted statement from the Stanford engineer where he basically calls out on audiophiles who use tube amps yet buy wire because it doesn't color their music. I don't care how much a cable might act to change the signal it's given. When you use different cables, it's accurate or it's not. If the sound changes, it's not necessarily more accurate. In fact, if it's not more accurate, you've done nothing better than an EQ of your system.

If the signal at the input measures the same as the output, you're set. If it doesn't, you've colored your music and what you're hearing only sounds 'good' to you. Don't confuse that with accuracy. It's not the same. No amount of hand waving can ever convince a scientist that two things that measure the same are not the same. It just doesn't make any sense.

Jun 20, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #35 of 126
I have lost interest on the long, boring debate of "does cable makes a difference"

none cable believers will bring out scientific theories to "prove" that cables does not make any difference.

Cable believers will simply say there is a difference, but depends on the person and the rig.

and I say,
F^%$ all the arguments, just buy some what is been called "exotic" cables and try them out. if you don't like them or hear the difference, return them.. all you will be paying is the shipping fee.
But first, improve your system..
try to keep the price of cables under 20% of the cost of your total rig.
==================================\

with that been say, to the OP,
so, after you make the cable, did YOU hear a difference?

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #36 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by fc911c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
who would ever thought that wire could be so exspensive LOL.

Well, silver closed with a bidding price of $13.27 today. If you weigh what you bought from Homegrown Audio, you're going to have a tough time swallowing the markup.

Manufacturing costs are *not* that high. Making wire is not difficult; it has been done for well over a century. Where do you think that extra money goes? And what do you think you're getting by spending all that money? And why do you think they charge that much?

I have yet to see a cheap cable that does NOT accurately pass a signal. Why spend more?

Jun 20, 2007 at 12:40 PM Post #37 of 126
Silver would never do anything good to a audiocable compared to copper anyway. The best way to test cable performance is to braid separate cables into one thick cable. Lot´s of work but it is suposed to do alot. I never hear any difference when doing a blindtest unless the connection really sucks.

But I know from my work as a nurse that the human mind is capable of altering a huge part of the world around and inside you. Placebo is one of the most powerful effects there is in life. For good and bad. The change is real, but blindtests will mess it up of course. When everything else in sound is 100% go for the cables. It is fun, use beautiful ones for that extra feeling, even better make your own cables.

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #38 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by pageman99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mostly overtones in the mids and lows, high frequencies are more extended or less extended. Just depends on the cable. Sometimes the frequencies overlap more or less, there can be smearing.

You're talking about what you saw in the waveforms, right? Do you have frame grabs of what this all looks like? What for instance does "frequency overlap" look like on a waveform?

See ya
Steve

Jun 21, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #39 of 126
Quote:

How does the use of differant wire change the quality of the sound that passes threw it?

Good question! To my knowledge, no one has been able to answer this. Some think since silver is a better conductor, than copper, that using a 1-3 feet in the audio path will make the overall sound cleaner or brighter. Of course this has never been proven or given an explanation why and double blind testing is not allowed here, so it continues to be debated.

There are a lot more different materials in the signal path (copper PCB, nickel connectors, solder, resistor and capacitor leads) to take into consideration than just a foot of silver wire.

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #40 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by fc911c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys

I am new to the forum.

I just ordered a small amount of Homegrown Audio 99.99 silver Ic3 braid and
24 ga single strand to make some mini to mini cables. I seems like good stuff, who would ever thought that wire could be so exspensive LOL.

What do think of this wire and what other sources are out there.

How does the use of differant wire change the quality of the sound that passes threw it?

Thanks for the help
Frank

Well Frank, If your still with us after your thread has been completely gang-raped by all of the resident trolls - here's my opinion (and seems to be general consensus among others here) : Silver is a brighter than Copper and Copper seems to be more forgiving towards a dirty signal.

Also, that wire costs more for two reasons - it's pretty and it's put out there for audiojunkies like yourself as a readily available product. I don't mind paying the price, at least I can have something I like, that I believe in. As opposed to voxr3m, who walks around with lamp cords hanging off his Grados... (sorry that was a direct jab)

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #41 of 126
voxr3m;3051224 said:
Playing a musical instrument is an art. QUOTE]

hey, lets get REALLY off subject!

you have time windows, as do i. an engineer buddy of mine who turned me on to them(who, btw, says cable is cable) says that according to all laws of sound and physics they should not create the soundstage that they throw. he was probably just being glib, or was he?

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #42 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by GendoIkari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well Frank, If your still with us after your thread has been completely gang-raped by all of the resident trolls - here's my opinion (and seems to be general consensus among others here) : Silver is a brighter than Copper and Copper seems to be more forgiving towards a dirty signal.

Also, that wire costs more for two reasons - it's pretty and it's put out there for audiojunkies like yourself as a readily available product. I don't mind paying the price, at least I can have something I like, that I believe in. As opposed to voxr3m, who walks around with lamp cords hanging off his Grados... (sorry that was a direct jab)

Hi Yes still here

Thanks for getting back on topic and for the info. It came today but I haven't had a chance to do anytihng with it. You are right it does look nice. What do you think about making a cable for my HD650's? What gauge is used for headphones? I ordered a small peice of 3 wire braid to test. I guess for phones you could use single and braid yourself, would that be a better and cheeper way to go?

Thanks
Frank
Thanks

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #43 of 126
Quote:

As opposed to voxr3m, who walks around with lamp cords hanging off his Grados... (sorry that was a direct jab)

Lamp cord???
confused.gif
Oh please, 1500 kcmil transmission line cable is where it's at. No need to be modest with the jabs.
icon10.gif

edit: I just noticed the addition to your sig. Very nice... right under your 'this is my opinion' statement. Bravo well done. You're a true Grade A audio hypocrite. You've only further shown that people with opinions like me have somehow commited sacrilege upon your cable religion. You will not believe fact. Nobody can convince you otherwise.

Analog'd: So you're saying that he said, that they shouldn't be able to, but do, produce a wide soundstage?
blink.gif
Can't really understand exactly what you're asking there.

Timewindows aren't as forward sounding as other speakers so they're probably not the most fun to listen to when it comes to rock. I think they're great for classical music though. Nothing comes close when it comes to recreating the experience. Nothing I've heard anyway. In any concert hall, sound comes from all around you. Not just in front of you. Just that fact itself means that most speakers get classical music all wrong. I'll concede that you don't need an oscilloscope to prove that this difference exists.
wink.gif

edit2: Let's continue the discussion.

Quote:

Silver is a brighter than Copper and Copper seems to be more forgiving towards a dirty signal.

I'll be blunt here. What on earth do you mean? More forgiving to a dirty signal? w-t-f? Does it say sorry when electrons have slept around? You've typed so many words but managed to say nothing concrete.

Give me a reasonable, concrete discussion of your explanation with graphs or numbers if possible. No hand waving. I'm all ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back