Silver Interconnects
Feb 24, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #16 of 35
I'll build you a set if you like silver plated rca with 99.99 pure solid silver in cotton. PM me if your interested. Cover materials, postage and my time - Im in the uk.

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightOwl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
two of the most recommended, reasonably priced that I've seen are DH Labs BL-1

Thanks

Offer placed on a pair from Moon Audio via Audiogon.

Offer accepted and cable on its way...

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #18 of 35
I have copper cables from Signal Cable, and i like them. Theyre a great value and sound as good as my Audioquest cables.

The Silver cable that Signal Cable sells is a silver/copper hybrid, and isnt too harsh at all. They use copper for bass extention and silver for the highs, as per the website.
Those are my next cable upgrade for interconnects and also speaker cables.

I find Audioquest =pretty neutral,

Synergystic Research= tinny and thin

MIT= too muddy

Kimber =on the high side but good

AR = good cheap cable, better than Monster junk, but not by much

Signal Cable (copper) = pretty neutral, like Audioquest

Tara Labs= too warm for my system, laid back

Cardas= sort of neutral, but too laid back and smooth for me

Monster= cheap stuff, has that monster midrange, a cottony sound i cant explain,and dont prefer

BlueJeans cables= never tried them, but i know what theyre made from, and i own some cable made from that, and it sounds good for the price, they dont over charge for their products, a good buy

IMHO
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have copper cables from Signal Cable, and i like them. Theyre a great value and sound as good as my Audioquest cables.

The Silver cable that Signal Cable sells is a silver/copper hybrid, and isnt too harsh at all. They use copper for bass extention and silver for the highs, as per the website.

MIT= too muddy

Monster= cheap stuff, has that monster midrange, a cottony sound i cant explain,and dont prefer

BlueJeans cables= never tried them, but i know what theyre made from, and i own some cable made from that, and it sounds good for the price, they dont over charge for their products, a good buy

IMHO
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the comments. I have been testing Silver plated Copper and I await the sale of my Audioquest cables to finance the purchase of the final cable, a pure silver cable as the last cable type I will test. At the moment I am concerning myself with materials only as I have tested stranded copper, solid copper, siler plated copper and soon hopefully pure silver.

That will wrap it up for me as I have really spent far more on this than I can afford and no manufactureres have been forthcoming with loaners.

Cheers

Nick

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif

MIT= too muddy

IMHO
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, I've been looking for a simple list of general cable sounds. I even tried Google and couldn't find anything useful.

I know the overall sound is dependant on many things, but most will agree with your comments on Kimber, Tara Labs, Cardas, etc. Perhaps a new thread is in order.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #21 of 35
Keep up the good work, Nick

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #22 of 35
I dont care what any article says, or what any scientist says, or any audio "expert".
None of that matters to me.
I have heard the difference in cables, and people that are listening with me hear the same changes as i do at the time.
Its not like i hear more highs, they hear more lows, and we disagree. My friends and i have agreed when listening to the changes.
The can write all the E=MC2 they want, and figures and graphs and theories.
Its all bull, because ive heard it.
Now, with that said, it does not mean i agree that all $10,000 cables are better sounding than all $100 cables.
But i do believe cables do make a sound change, and you just have to find one you like, and you can do that at a reasonable price.
$10,000 cables are a rip off. (Sorry Patrick82...lol).

You can experiment with many borrowed reasonably priced cables and find the sound you want, without spending $1000s on a cable.

I think small companies like Signal Cable, BlueJeans cables, or even making your own DIY from Magami or Canare, or Belkin, is fine.
But they do sound different in the right system, at the right lengths.

I dont think a short 6" cable makes alot of difference on an ipod. Its too short to have enough effect, and on an insensitive portable system, it really doesnt make sense to spend $150 on 6" of cryo magic fossilized blessed kosher vitamin-enriched annointed with holy oil high-end audiophile approved by the audio gods super-duper cable.
I have a few "audiophile" magic 6" interconnects for my portables here, and i usually use the grey $5 RadioShack ones. Theyre pretty good, and sound just like my BlueSky, and CrystalCable, and whatever else i got.
But on my home system, i do hear a difference on my interconnects and speaker cables.

If you cant hear a difference between MIT and Synergistic Research,...then youre tone deaf.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #23 of 35
Drag0n, i suppose you are saying that because of my signature, no?

Well i would not like to discuss that article here, because this is not the correct thread for it, however telling me that because I can not hear a difference i am tone deaf i guess it is saying too much...

You can say anything you want on the thread of that article, and I will gladly answer there.

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #24 of 35
FYI, I used to buy speakers direct from Dick Sequerra, and he swore by Mogami Neglex 2534 for both interconnect and speaker cable, even used it (a double run, if I recall) for the internal wiring of some versions of his Met 7 speakers. These days I use SilverAudio and Rscables myself, but the Mogami is good and dirt cheap.

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Drag0n, i suppose you are saying that because of my signature, no?

Well i would not like to discuss that article here, because this is not the correct thread for it, however telling me that because I can not hear a difference i am tone deaf i guess it is saying too much...

You can say anything you want on the thread of that article, and I will gladly answer there.

Funny, i was reading through the thread so fast, i didnt even realize it was in your signature. I answered a signature..lol.

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Word of caution - cheap silver cables (usually) exhibit all the bad traits there are about silver....bright, lean, sharp, fatiguing. If you get it right though the results can be fantastic (in the right system, that is). My tried and trusted go-to silver cable would be the Kimber KCAG.

2X on this. After a year messing with debatable quality silver and SPC, and gave up on them because they exhibit uncanny brightness and a curse to sibilant vocals.

But I have been lucky on my last attempt at a specially fabricated reference grade solid core silvers recommended by a local Hi-Fi Tubes shop (made in Germany). They cost an arm and leg but they are way better than the earlier silver build I tried. They are not bright and hard sounding at all, but very neutral, transparent and smooth. So if you gonna tread the silver path may a well go for the top breed.

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #27 of 35
Solid Silver cables , braided design , ordered from overseas and I should have them late next week. will be interesting to see how they pan out.

I worry less about harsh, sharp or other characteristics I look for different or not different now.

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or the Kimber Silver streak; half the price, only the signal cable is silver. I got it and love it.
BTW, this cable is ideal to find out about the differences between copper and silver; the Kimber PBJ has exactly the same built, except that the signal wire is also copper; compared to the SS the PBJ sound largely alike, that typical Kimbersound, wide open, detailed, and tonally somehow 'right'.
The differences are in the frequency-extremes; the PBJ has a slightly rolled off, a little coarse treble, the bass is slightly wooly. The SS has a clear extende treble and welldefined bass, extending deeper.
All this on my speakerbased system. I'm not sure how it works out with headphone-based systems; I guess the audible differences will be smaller, since the size and form of the soundstage is much more obvious on speakerbased systems.

really? i went from PBJ to SS and found that I lost a bit of the bottom end but in return got a slightly brighter top end and more depth/detail

this is also with my speaker system.

Dec 16, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks , the question is whether a Silver plate will act the exact same way as solid silver or will it be somewhere between copper and silver. Since silver is more conductive a solid silver cable should be measurably different from a copper one, but I do not know if the same is true of silver plate ?

If I test a silver plate cable and it is not discernably different then I would need to test a solid silver one anyway

how about VALAB

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pure-Silver-Anal...1%7C240%3A1318

or White Zombie White Zombie Handmade Silver High End Analog RCA Stereo Audio Interconnect Cables

this is a good question and deserves resurrection

Users who are viewing this thread

Back