Silver Dragon broke again any other suggestions
Apr 10, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #46 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
A couple things. The Silver Dragon has been out of production for several months at this point. AFAIK, like alot of "companies" that produce equipent for this hobby, Moon Audio is a one man buisness and while I'm sure he'd love to have the turn around of larger buisnesses (like Sennheiser) it really isn't going to happen. That being said I would also be fairly concerned if a was a owner of a Silver Dragon cable, but in the very least, the production has been halted so that a new revision can be developed, which hopefully doesn't have the issues of the present and past.

I agree. The Blue Dragon is basically its successor. No one has complained about those yet, have they? Also, people are more likely to post if they have a problem. I'm not sure how many people have purchased a Silver Dragon, but regardless, only a few people have complained on this forum and they don't represent the majority of SD owners.

Apr 10, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #47 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
...I'm not sure how many people have purchased a Silver Dragon, but regardless, only a few people have complained on this forum and they don't represent the majority of SD owners.

I have simply refused to complain... however, my Silver Dragon has broken the fourth time, and meanwhile I'm used to fix it myself. And I explicitly take much care of it, aware of its susceptibility. But still it's a great sounding cable. I hope it will be re-released in a more robust (and if possible more flexible) form.

Apr 10, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #48 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
I have simply refused to complain... however, my Silver Dragon has broken the fourth time, and meanwhile I'm used to fix it myself. And I explicitly take much care of it, aware of its susceptibility. But still it's a great sounding cable. I hope it will be re-released in a more robust (and if possible more flexible) form.

robust != flexible
icon10.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #50 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer
Geez. I bought a Black Dragon iPod line out interconnect which I'm waiting on. I sure hope I don't have any of these kinds of issues.

The silver dragon is the only issue the only cable that has an issue.

Jul 2, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #52 of 60
I am not sure what cabling is used, but if it is stranded wire cable I believe that is usually more prone to breaking than solid wires, no?

Jul 2, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #53 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The silver dragon is the only issue the only cable that has an issue.

Not sure.. I had a black dragon mini-mini that I had to return due to a left channel problem...
frown.gif

But, in all fairness Drew allowed me to swap out the defective mini-mini for an Blue Dragon AC powercord! Which has been great!
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #54 of 60
My SD broke again recently - very intermittent sound from the left channel, so sounds like another soldering/wiring issue. This is absolute rubbish, I waited almost 6 months for my last SD repair so who knows how long another one will take. Luckily I have a backup cable (standard HD-650), so I'll attempt to repair this myself. I'm never buying Moon audio again.

May 13, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #56 of 60
does anyone know if this quality issue has been fixed with the version 2's?
does it affect hardwired SD cables as well?

It's no longer made of solid-core wires, so the issue should be fixed (as my HD 800 cable and an IC show). I guess with earlier versions also hard-wired cables are affected.

May 13, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #57 of 60
Drew re-cabled my K701, from days of yore, with Silver Dragon cable and I had to send the headphones back to him twice because of a lost connection.  After the second fix, I had the AKGs for another year or so with zero problems.  Drew was always very good, and very prompt, about getting them fixed and back to me, though.

My favorite silver cable was the solid core RAL Paradise cryo-Silver, with which I never had a problem. 

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #60 of 60

Quote:
I am not sure what cabling is used, but if it is stranded wire cable I believe that is usually more prone to breaking than solid wires, no?

Actually, the opposite.  Solid core wires are not designed to withstand repeated flexing and will weaken/break much easier than a stranded wire.

I think pure silver is also less malleable than copper.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back