Silver Dragon broke again any other suggestions
Aug 31, 2005 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

TheLastDon

New Head-Fier
I love the sound of the Silver Dragon headphone cable, but within a few weeks a short started developing in the right channel. I sent it back to be fixed and after about 2 months of waiting it came back fixed. Then again the right channel has developed a short after about 3 weeks since it came back. I love the sound of this cable but I don't think its worth the hassle. While it looks like a pretty well built cable this is just ridiculous. Anybody have any headphone cable suggestions for cables that sound similar to the silver dragon or better?
Thanks

Aug 31, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 60
Hmmm... Did they sack the guy who built that one too?
evil_smiley.gif
Have you tried the Zus?

Aug 31, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 60
Why, where, & how are these SD cables breaking?

I've got a new one, that I just sent back to have the 1/4" plug changed because of poor fit in my SinglePower amp. I've read a lot of posts about SD failures. It sure doesn't sound good. I may have to order a Zu.

Aug 31, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 60
Mine broke a while back too. Same problem with an intermittent connection. I emailed the manufacturer about it and they advised that they're working on sourcing some new connectors and to contact back with them in a few months. I'd have to look but I think this was about a month ago. I'll ping him again and see if there's been any update.

Aug 31, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #5 of 60
I must say that I am surprised to read about these problems for two reasons:

1) I have been using a 15 ft Silver Dragon cable since June with zero issues. I am quite pleased with it.

2) Drew of Moon Audio has been extremely helpful to me. On two different occasions he has been quick to repair third party cabling products (one Apple, one from a DIYer) for free. I encourage you to contact him directly and give him a chance to correct the situation. He definitely comes across to me as one of the good guys.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties with the cable.
frown.gif
I hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction.

Aug 31, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 60
I like the way the SD spreads out the soundstage, moreso than the Zu which is more forthright and centered. Guess I'll just have to get another Zu until they figure out what is wrong with their connectors. A shame because I just sold my Zu last week. Glad to hear that it wasn't just me and my luck.

Sep 1, 2005 at 8:10 AM Post #9 of 60
possibly due to solid core wire breaking?

Splicing shouldnt be an issue at all if its secured.
equinox is spliced.

I do not think moon audio splices. I htink its custom molded over the wire. not sure about this though.

Sep 1, 2005 at 11:50 AM Post #10 of 60
I sent a follow up to Drew and got an auto-reply that he's on vacation until 9/6. BTW, I did not in any way mean to imply that I am unhappy with the level of service from Moon Audio.

Sep 1, 2005 at 12:00 PM Post #11 of 60
It happened twice. My first SD got replaced (by an obviously newer version with thicker wire), then this one broke as well, so I decided to fix it myself. The solid-core silver wire is prone to break near or even within the connectors (in the second case) -- even without any misuse or excessive force.

As to alternatives: The Zu Mobius has even better synergy (again) with my now system and taste, but sounds quite a bit different in that it has more pronounced bass and upper treble. The Headphile BlackSilver is more similar, but smoother, less texturing and more brilliant.

peacesign.gif

Oct 17, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #12 of 60
Add another to the list - I have a 650 stock backup (thanks, Alex), but I forgot how much the stock cables suck (even burned in) compared to either the Blue or Silver Dragon.

I had a Blue with zero issues for 1.5 years, and the Silver has developed the problem after 4 months (I am the 2nd owner, so who knows?) of blissful performance.

All this aside, IFF the Silver is unreliable (which I am reading more of), it ultimately cannot be a reliable solution, at least for me, regardless of how seductive the sound.

Yes, I emailed Drew, so we'll see how it plays out.

Oct 17, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #13 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1
Add another to the list - I have a 650 stock backup (thanks, Alex), but I forgot how much the stock cables suck (even burned in) compared to either the Blue or Silver Dragon.

I had a Blue with zero issues for 1.5 years, and the Silver has developed the problem after 4 months (I am the 2nd owner, so who knows?) of blissful performance.

All this aside, IFF the Silver is unreliable (which I am reading more of), it ultimately cannot be a reliable solution, at least for me, regardless of how seductive the sound.

Yes, I emailed Drew, so we'll see how it plays out.

I hope all of this gets taken care of. I am happy I could help with the stock cable. I hope you find a good alternative or the problems with this cable gets fixed for good.

-Alex-

Oct 18, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #14 of 60
a belated update:

Drew told me that they're not sure if the new molding outfit will work with the old cable or not. He advised me to send it in and they'd look into it together. That was about three weeks ago, I just pinged him again to get an update. He did mention that he would sell me a new cable at cost if repairs are impossible. I'll let you guys know if I hear anything more.

Oct 19, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #15 of 60
Funny this thread is going on because I am considering getting the Blue Dragon for my HD600. I have allready two of his silver dragons interconnects, one is a 1/8" to 1/8" one foot long. The other is a three foot long 1/8" to RCA.

I am very satisfied with those two cables and wanted to see if the HD600 sounded better with a Silver Dragon. I read various posts here and they suggested the Blue Dragon instead, this was also stated by Drew when I spoke with him about 3 weeks ago. However he has not received the cables to make the Blue Dragon and to see if I would like his Senn cables he sent me a Silver Dragon to try.

Not many people do that so I think he is a pretty good sport, yet I am confused by your post. You state he will sell you a replacement cable at cost if they can not fix yours. Why should you pay? If the cable has never worked right the repair/replacement should be free. Just my $0.02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back