Silver Bullet vs PFE Perfect Bass
Oct 5, 2010 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ky0

New Head-Fier
I already posted awhile ago but I researched a bit further and found some more detailed criteria for what I'm looking for.

In order of importance:
1. tight, controlled bass. can't be weak here, but it shouldn't overshadow the mids.
2. detailed, airiness, analytic
3. immersive sound stage
4. sparkly treble

I'm planning to use this with my ipod without an amp. Thanks ahead of time.

Oct 5, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 9
I'd add the Klipsch Custom 3 to it.  A good sound stage is hard to come by.  As nice as the PFE is, its sound stage isn't the best out there.  It is analytical though.  The Custom 3 doesn't have the top end sparkle, but it's well defined.  There aren't many IEMs I'd call airy either.  One of the few that I'd give that kind of description to is the SA6.  It is well detailed and analytical in a natural way.  The sound stage isn't immersive or exact though but open and spaced.  Treble is smooth and laid back, not sparkly but not dark or recessed if that is your worry.  Bass is light, but it responds well to EQing and will get you a tight, controlled note.  A nice, albeit not cheap, option is the CK90Pro.  It has a lot of traits you're looking for, but the earphone isn't cheap at a little over $200.  The PFE and Silver Bullet are good choices, but I am curious how much of which aspects you will get from them.  I've used the PFE.  I've used the v1 of the Eterna but not the Silver Bullet.  The PFE is analytical, has the top end sparkle, and a decent amount of bass response.  The PFE is a good earphone.  It has the filtering necessary to shape the response to your liking.  I can't really comment on the Silver Bullet as I haven't used a pair.

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 9
PFE-PB is quite different sounding from the original PFE, so the comparison between PFE and silver bullet might not equal to PFE-PB vs SB. I consider PFE-PB and SB to be roughly the same level of sound, SB has better sound stage and dynamic, PFE-PB is better at bass texture and overall resolution. SQ wise, I will say SB is a tiny bit better than PFE-PB. But given PFE-PB has slight better build, 2 years warranty and the chance to upgrade the sound by getting new filter, PFE-PB is a better bang for the bucks. Look at the OP's requirements however, SB seems to fit better. DBA-02 on the other hand is better than PFE-PB and SB, but offers a different sound compared to what the OP is looking for.

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 9
Aren't the PFE-PB and PFE the same earphone except the new filter?  If so, they can't really be different.  It would be like calling a PFE with the gray filter a different earphone from the PFE with the black filter.  The response is different, but it's the same earphone.

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 9
I am not saying PFE-PB is a different IEM than PFE (transducer wise), but different sounding IEM. In fact, the grey filter and the green filter is almost opposite as far as sound signature is concerned. PFE-PB is 'almost' a basshead IEM, I bet no one will describe PFE that way.

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
I must have read wrong. I thought the PFE-PB was just a PFE with stronger bass and less accessories.

No you didn't. PFE-PB is a PFE with less sparkle, more compressed, bigger bass / warm and less accessories. Once you replace the PFE-PB's green filter with PFE's the grey or black filter, it will sound just like a regular PFE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back