Silly eBay question
Feb 13, 2009 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

928GTS

500+ Head-Fier
So I've bought two items and they need to be paid for using CIP Bank Transfer which I have come to figure out means "Customer Initiated Payment". I assume this means a direct transfer of funds between the buyer and seller. How do I actually transfer the funds to the seller? Do I request for their bank information?

Been using PayPal most of my eBay career and this one threw me for a loop.

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #2 of 20
I would personally be very suspicious. If I recall correctly, if you don't use Paypal, and if you you don't do the transaction through eBay, then if the seller screws you over, you're in deep trouble, because nobody will back you up.

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would personally be very suspicious. If I recall correctly, if you don't use Paypal, and if you you don't do the transaction through eBay, then if the seller screws you over, you're in deep trouble, because nobody will back you up.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Feb 13, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #6 of 20
I already asked the seller about PayPal and he says he does not have an account. I remember reading somewhere about how Europeans(and especially Germans)have a special dislike towards PayPal and usually do most of their transactions through bank transfer.

Again,I understand the risks,I'm just looking for instruction.

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #7 of 20
Yeah, you need to request bank information from the seller.
PayPal is so much more convenient though, especially for low amount transfers like this one...

But then again, you agreed on the payment details when you bought the item.

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 20
Alright,thanks.

I did,I was just not entirely sure on the way of going about it. Through looking through the eBay Germany listing for what I usually buy from there(vintage radios)the majority of them are listed as bank transfer.

Feb 13, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #10 of 20
I'll see how much it is,if its a large amount of the purchase price then I'll be sure to be choosy next time I choose to bid on an item in which payment through bank transfer is required.

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with bank transfers in the US is that the banks almost always charge a fee.

Paypal also charges a fee, I'm not sure at what %age though.

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by iareConfusE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Paypal also charges a fee, I'm not sure at what %age though.

Only on credit card transactions and only to the seller. Its $.30 and 5.9% if you have a regular account and $.30 and 2.9% if you have the upgraded account. US banks charge both ways on wire transfers and I wouldn't be surprised if it's $10 or more per transaction.

Edit: I just looked up my credit union's fees

Incoming Wires - Domestic or Foreign No Fee

Outgoing - Domestic $15.00

Outgoing Wires - Foreign $40.00

So, if the OP's bank has similar fees, his $30 purchase will end up being $70.

Feb 14, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #13 of 20
Feb 14, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #14 of 20
On the myebay page, there should be a page to look at the auctions you've won, and then a "pay for it" link. Assuming that page would have the proper information regarding paying this guy, could be wrong, but can't hurt to check.

Feb 14, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #15 of 20
^If you're talking about what I think, there is such a page. It's on the left column on your "my-ebay" page.
I use it to save things I have commited to buy until I'm done shopping at a seller's store, then just pay for eveything at once to save a little on shipping, provided the seller gives discounts for that, and most do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back