Signature vs Sound Quality ?!
Aug 30, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #16 of 33

Quote:
yeap if u afford it )...i prefer finding the perfect pair :D

Several inexpensive headphones cost less than one that competes for perfection.

For an example:

AKG K601
Sennheiser (pick one) HD-600 or 650
Beyerdynamic (pick one) DT770, 880, 990 (I have limited experience with the 990, based on recs of others)

These 3 headphones all together cost less than most headphones that hold up by themselves long term* but between their respective strengths they cover 99% of all music. By themselves those each actually have aspects of their sound that I prefer to the headphones that hold up in the contest for perfection but the illusion of sound quickly falls apart when you take them out of their element.

*Hold up long term = I can listen to ANYTHING on the headphones and pretty much just the music comes through. None of this "rock headphone" "jazz headphone" "classical headphone" BS. put the headphones on and listen. The headphones dont show a particular weakness or coloration when listened to with several genres of music... its vague, but so it "perfect". Not many headphones do it, and IME the ones that do are absurdly expensive. This is not to say (at all) that you cant enjoy less expensive cans, I would encourage it and rocked out with the DT880 last night, but if you listen hard the illusion of sound in the less expensive cans falls apart.

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #17 of 33

Quote:

Several inexpensive headphones cost less than one that competes for perfection.

For an example:

AKG K601
Sennheiser (pick one) HD-600 or 650
Beyerdynamic (pick one) DT770, 880, 990 (I have limited experience with the 990, based on recs of others)

These 3 headphones all together cost less than most headphones that hold up by themselves long term* but between their respective strengths they cover 99% of all music. By themselves those each actually have aspects of their sound that I prefer to the headphones that hold up in the contest for perfection but the illusion of sound quickly falls apart when you take them out of their element.

*Hold up long term = I can listen to ANYTHING on the headphones and pretty much just the music comes through. None of this "rock headphone" "jazz headphone" "classical headphone" BS. put the headphones on and listen. The headphones dont show a particular weakness or coloration when listened to with several genres of music... its vague, but so it "perfect". Not many headphones do it, and IME the ones that do are absurdly expensive. This is not to say (at all) that you cant enjoy less expensive cans, I would encourage it and rocked out with the DT880 last night, but if you listen hard the illusion of sound in the less expensive cans falls apart.

ok )...what if...i 99% listen to only one genre of music )...does it make sense buying more than one pair...
popcorn.gif

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #18 of 33
     Quote:
I'm just interested....what wolud most of u prefer ?!

A headphone with the signature that match your music tastes...or something with a little better SQ/soundstage but lacking the colorotion needed for your kind of music/balanced headphones  ?!

popcorn.gif

I prefer headphones and equipment which facilitates the listening to music, that means very little signature, very little coloration, very little euphony.

I don't want headphones/source/amp to be putting in some excessive amount of "warmth" for example.

For me excessive euphony just gets in the way of listening to the music.

IMHO quality audio equipment should aspire to get out of the way and let the music happen.

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #27 of 33
Usually I would say sound signature, but that would seem to be a false statement. You seem while I love the sound signature of the DT880 600ohm (Deep, tight bass, detailed mids with prominent yet still tamed highs. Great sized soundstage for me etc), I seem to prefer my HF-2 more now. Guitars and drums sound amazing. The quality just is leagues ahead of the DT880 imo. Cymbals though, I forget they exist when listening to HF-2 sometimes, they aren't prominent at all. Same as K10000. While it isn't the best headphone for rock, the amazing amount of detail and clarity can really make some songs sound fantastic. I find the gear I like and build a music collection around that, not the other way around. 

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #28 of 33

Quote:
Usually I would say sound signature, but that would seem to be a false statement. You seem while I love the sound signature of the DT880 600ohm (Deep, tight bass, detailed mids with prominent yet still tamed highs. Great sized soundstage for me etc), I seem to prefer my HF-2 more now. Guitars and drums sound amazing. The quality just is leagues ahead of the DT880 imo. Cymbals though, I forget they exist when listening to HF-2 sometimes, they aren't prominent at all. Same as K10000. While it isn't the best headphone for rock, the amazing amount of detail and clarity can really make some songs sound fantastic. I find the gear I like and build a music collection around that, not the other way around. 

that's really interesting...i thought that people on head-fi...spend so much money on all the hi-end gears just to listen at maximum posible quality the music they love )))...becouse that's what i do :D
seems like i was wrong )...this is not all about love of music...it's also about love of hi-end/hi-tech gears/gadgets...if i understood u corectly !?
beerchug.gif

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #29 of 33
Indeed it is not all about the love of music, but about the gear. Well, that is what I like anyway. I love reading up on new gear and what features it includes, the price, how it looks etc. Not necessarily on if it mates well with people's systems. Just like with computers I suppose. I love getting the new tech to play games maxed out, yet I rarely even game.

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #30 of 33

Quote:
Indeed it is not all about the love of music, but about the gear. Well, that is what I like anyway. I love reading up on new gear and what features it includes, the price, how it looks etc

i share this passion...but in this case most of the time it's about the smartphones for me  :D:D:D...hell i love the new samsung galaxy s...i've heard that rockbox team is working on an app for android :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back